Chapter 11

Road of Trust

With a stretched hand, Minseok summons a silvery mist and you could hear the surface of the water crackle as it freezes up. He walks first, extending the ice bridge as they all tread across the  calm ocean to the other side of Kilika. Luhan envelops each body with a purple lining to make their bodies a little lighter, but Areum tells him that she doesn’t need one. Regardless of what she says, he still does so. He thinks she won't notice, but Areum notices everything. Junmyeon forces the water to part ways, to prevent it from melting the ice. The waves sound like the beach back at Langley, as the water crash and recede back, it’s quite a nice sound to calm down to. Although the salty smell irritates their noses.

 

“Areum, your face looks a bit brighter,” Kris mentions, holding Areum’s hand. Lately, she’s been having less nightmares, probably because he’s been consoling her every time she wakes up crying. And perhaps that’s why she’s getting used to them all reaching out to hold her little hand with theirs. She tells herself not to think big of it, but it does make her feel a bit elated. Areum feels something cold rebound on her hand, and sees that it’s Kris’ bracelet, glowing that beautiful lilac. Areum runs her hand through her hair, expanding her vision. Some of the other’s bracelets don’t have a spark yet. Although worrying too much about it won’t do her any good. She sighs, and notices that another body has her in the middle. That person ruffles her hair, she doesn’t need to look to tell that it’s Baekhyun, a carefree spirit indeed. She knows that he spouts jokes from time to time, she only laughs at the ones she understands. And whenever she does, she tries to hide her chuckle behind her hands, but she knows that he’ll always catch it.

 

Being a naturally quiet person, she’s able to share space with Yixing and Tao. Both of their gentle demeanors, make them approachable to anyone. Yixing cares like no other, he won’t leave you alone until every itty bitty scratch is gone. Ever since the start of their travels, Areum’s been seeing him quite constantly. Seems like she doesn’t seem to mind it one bit. Areum usually starts the conversation, quite interested in the terms that Yixing points out to her whenever he tends to her injuries. With Tao, he’s that type of person to enjoy calm moments with. No talking needed, just having another person to share the silence with is more than enough to Areum. It’s like he understands that sometimes all you need is someone beside you, to look after you while you spend some time to ponder into the night. One thing that ticks her off is that she’s also immobilized when Tao uses his powers.

Jongdae is a bit ecstatic in his actions, he’s mostly to himself most of the time. During her common night walks, she’s come across Jongdae singing softly. One time, she even tapped her feet to the beat, which surprised them both. Areum’s never been a fan of music, perhaps too engrossed in her imaginations to make room for other things. Sometimes, he’ll wake her up in the middle of the night to see if she’s interested in another one of his jam sessions. He explains to her how he’s fascinated with his powers as he’s able to get manipulate lightning despite the sunny weather. The night before, Jongdae and Chanyeol were teasing one another as they set up camp near the coast. Chanyeol tells Jongdae that using fire was the most practical way of getting the fire started, regardless of his skilled control of his flames. It doesn’t turn into an argument as the two are incapable of possessing such hostility towards the other. Areum wonders how Chanyeol’s able to maintain such a happy disposition, but maybe she could learn a thing or two from him.

Areum’s always wondered as to how Jongin’s powers worked, to this day, it still makes her sick to her stomach. Although, she discovered that Jongin’s overly fond of animals too. Taka sticks to Jongin’s side most of the time during their stay at Kilika temple. Areum’s a bit jealous, that Taka won’t play with her like how Jongin is. Even though she tries her best to hide herself, he sees her from his peripheral vision and picks up Taka. He walks over to her and cradles Taka, he convinces her to pet Taka, at first she shakes her head. As she continues to stare at Taka, she can’t resist the temptation of petting the cute mammal. She looks to Jongin, who tells her it’s okay. He gently places her hand on the top of Taka’s hand, and she rubs it. Taka closes its eyes, and purrs. Areum squeals and continues to Taka’s fur. Another person that Taka stayed close to was Sehun. Areum still remembers what happened at Jopu and their little dispute, but after hearing what happened at Junas library, made her think twice about him. He wasn’t so bad, Areum tries to prove that point to herself. He’s a bit clumsy, but manages well by himself. She’ll see him playing with leaves as he makes them dance in the air. She approaches him, showing him a small rock and wonders if he could lift it up too. And with a flick, it rises up in her hands and circulates around her. She gawks and repeatedly claps, telling Sehun to make something else fly.

“Something on your mind?” Kyungsoo replaces Baekhyun’s spot. Areum deems him normal, compared to the others with quirky personalities. He’s not one to talk much either, but he talks a lot to Areum. Kyungsoo’s a peculiar one, although she does feel that he’s one of the easiest people to get along with. He’s always doting on her, like how Lan would do all the time. Kyungsoo doesn’t hear her complain about it, so he assumes she’s fine with it--which she really is. She laughs mainly with him. He regularly tells her it’s fine to not put up a front with them, but she brushes it off as it’s her behavior.

The idea of having a friend to Areum, was always such a blur. She hasn’t interacted with enough people yet to understand the concept of friendship. The way these warriors converse with each other is something Areum absolutely doesn’t see on a daily basis. She learns about many different aspects about them, but she doesn’t pry into their personal issues. It’s about give-and-take she figures. But why would she care? She’s just a kid—right?

Unexpectedly, Areum feels a slight tinge surge through her body. Minseok breathes heavily and attempts to continue freezing the water, she travels up front and tugs on the hem of his shirt, “I can take over from here.” She heads to the edge of the route and sits on her bottom, here goes nothing. She inhales a deep breath before falling feet first into the ocean. “Areum!” Luhan screams as he gets on his knees to find her in the water. Junmyeon’s bracelet briefly shines bright and a sea snake sprouts up. “Climb on my back. We’ll travel like this for now,” her tail slithers onto the ice. Everyone crawls on board and with a small roar, she sharply slams her tail down on Minseok’s road and swiftly speeds ahead. The land on the other side doesn’t seem as far away as they believed it to be.

“So you’re all from Sele? Hmm, about the other aeons, I suppose there’s Djose temple. Although I don’t recall if they worship any kind of deity in there. We don’t recommend you all going there though.” Solan offers.

“Why not?” Tao asks.

“In the last few years, the military kicked out everyone to set up their base there,” Solan sighs, “I can’t stop you. I hope that you’ll be careful.”

“You think Lan won’t be mad at us without updating him?” Luhan asks Minseok.

“One letter or two won't affect him or us.” Minseok shrugs.

Luhan has a worried look,“let's hope so.” It’s going to be easy sailing from here as Areum can see a docking station not too far from them now.

“FIRE!”

A rain of arrows come gravitating towards their way and Areum screams as she’s impaled. The ones that don't hit, drown into the ocean, but it creates a splash that no one can get ahold of the situation. Another round of arrows come down and Chanyeol manages to burn them away to ashes in time. Next, come a barrage of bullets and Sehun deflects them with his winds.

“AGH!” Kyungsoo screams and bleeds together with Areum, both struck by arrows. Yixing is too far away and can't make his way to them. Alta’s body is too slippery and the peer force of the waves clash against them. Jongin takes control and transports to the front, and pulls out the bloody arrows from Areum. Swiftly as he can, he disappears to Kyungsoo’s aid and brings him to Yixing. Another round of arrows comes falling and sinks deeper into Areum’s skin. The sound waves from her shrill scream makes the waves whiplash them all into the ocean. And soon, they all drown. They struggle trying to get up back to the surface. Areum bites hard on her lip, and makes it bleed. Focus!

She slithers in the water to gather everyone around and sends out a bubble beam, each bubble covering their heads and they’re all able to breathe again as they cough and gasp. They manage to latch themselves onto her fins and she springs back up from the ocean. Areum crazily speeds through closer and closer to the dock. There’s a line of defense with weapons ready to go.

“FIRE!” They hear again but they’re able to quick counterattack with the their elements. Areum manages to knock down some men but she accidentally flings the warriors off her back. They all try to swim towards her, while Areum deflects incoming bullets by slapping them away with her tail.

“Now!” A net flies over them and traps them in the water. The military pulls them out and the company struggles in the ropes.

“Oh? What do we have here?” A man donned in a military outfit appears. His pure presence reminds you of a vulture waiting for the kill.

“Sir! We have tracked down the strange readings and attacked them with full power.” The soldier answers as he salutes. The man sees what they have caught, a bunch of men and a giant sea serpent. He thinks that they’ll be able to have a feast tonight, but he sees that Areum reverts back into a human. He chuckles, his curiosity piqued.

“Bring them in, we will,” he gives them an evil smile, “ show them a warm welcome.”


 

They’re roughly thrown on the group, their hands tied behind her backs, stripped of all of their belongings. Every time they lash back they’re silenced with violence, face slammed to the ground. Areum starts to cough up blood and Kyungsoo starts to see it flow down from to the floor. He tackles down the soldier who’s slamming down a stick at her. Men gather and beat him up, his strength waning on him. The rest protectively huddle around a shaking Areum. One by one, the combantants tear their circle apart and they’re all pinned to their floor. The man who barked the orders earlier, shows up again. He makes his way over to Areum who has her hair covering her face, and parts her hair, his hands settling on her cheek.

“I am Commander Wenzel--second in power of the Djose militia,” he bellows, he stands up and walks away from Areum. “According to our readings, there was only one unknown power showing up on the radar—it probably assumed that since you were all in a cluster.”

Areum grits hard on her teeth and charges at Wenzel but soldiers retaliate and she crashes on the soldier holding Jongdae down. Jongdae gets up on his two feet and with a mighty roar,  he attacks the soldiers with his lighting and they fall like flies. More soldiers come rushing in and subduing them.

“Wait!” Wenzel orders, “those powers...I’d like to know where you got them.”

“Who’d tell you?” Sehun growls.

“As if you didn’t know, Djose is now a facility in specializing and mobilizing in warfare tactics. We’d take advantage of anything that makes us number one. So, if you’d speed it up. Where’d you attain that strength from?” None of them budge.

Wenzel spots Areum who’s restrained. “I see I have to use another method,” he goes to Areum and points his gun at her. They’re all riled up, “now, won’t you tell me?” Wenzel looks towards their direction.

“Stop that Wenzel,” they all hear. Wenzel smirks and puts away his gun, “the big boss is here.”

“My favorite pupil,” the voice pauses, “did you forget all of my teachings already?” Areum  recognizes this voice, she immediately throws the men off of her and kneels. She is soon followed by the Commander and the army. The warriors are subdued by the enemy’s sheer numbers.

Click, clack -- is all you hear. “My, my darling--no need to be like that.” A woman in a military outfit comes out of the shadows. If this man was like a vulture, this woman was like the devil.

“Supreme Commander Rodina—I didn't think that you would be finished so soon.” Wenzel greets her.

“Anything concerning her,” she stares at Areum, “I will always make time for.” She walks towards Areum, but Luhan quickly stands in the way.

“Stay away from her,” he growls. “Hm?” Rodina sees that he’s freed from her men’s defense.

“Are you trying to act tough now boy?” She notices that his legs are shaking.

He falters a bit under her gaze and she kicks him roughly in the stomach. He falls on his knees and Areum tries reaches out to him. Wenzel grabs her and throws her like a bowling ball.

“I see you don’t understand something,” she lifts up Luhan’s chin, “I’m your worst nightmare.” She grabs him by his shirt and throws him to the wall, it’s completely cracked. “Restrain them.” She orders.

“No!” Areum tries to dash to them but she is trapped by a net.

“Areum, my sweet, sweet dear,” she roughly steps on her back and the girl yelps, “I have generously prepared you and your friends a ride to the Moonflow if you wish.” Areum growls.

“Now, don’t be like that sweetie," she coos, "don’t you want to find Anima and Diabolos?” Areum angrily tries to grab at the Supreme Commander, which slightly amuses her, “how do you know that.” Areum’s eyes change color.

The Supreme Commander giggles, “not even that awful council can keep a thing from me, not a single thing.” Rodina removes her foot and walks away, “it’s time that we abandon wasting our times praying to these deities. With pure strength and technology is the only way, that we as humans, can truly prosper!” The woman receives cheers and praise from her subordinates, she giggles.

“Rodina,” Wenzel interrupts, “don’t you think an arrangement for a stay at our wonderful, spacious abode should be made?”

“You read my mind.” She grins.

“Give our guests the proper treatment before sending them their way, won’t you Commander?” She sends the man a smirk. “Of course.” Like a gentleman, Wenzel opens the doors for her. Rodina leaves the room, the sound of her boots fading away. And with a deadly smirk, Wenzel closes the doors.