Chapter 1

Road of Trust

“Watch out!” Jongin yelled out, making him and Baekhyun duck for cover as the fireball barely grazes the tip of their hairs.  “The wall!” Luhan cried, he frantically got up from his chair, afraid that there was going to be another burnt mark. While right next to him, Junmyeon sat on his chair; happily reading his book and noticed the commotion as he looked up. As the fireball was about to collide with the gray wall, he intersected the fire with his water, successfully extinguishing it, leaving behind a sizzling noise with traces of smoke. He slipped in his index finger near the top right hand corner of the book and flipped to the next page.

“You wipe!” Baekhyun roared at Chanyeol. “You could’ve killed me! Again!”

“Emphasis on the ‘could have’ though.” Chanyeol used his fingers to make floating quotation marks and smiled back at his friend who imagined throwing daggers at his face. Baekhyun mentally took note that it was the fifth time it happened in the last two hours. You would have figured Chanyeol learned his lesson from the last three scoldings.

“Why you little!” Baekhyun charged his way to Chanyeol who sprinted off as fast as his long legs could, forming quite a large distance between the two. This created even more anger for Baekhyun seeing that his veins were visible on his arms, clenching his hands into fists.

“Aren’t you going to stop them?” Yixing asks Kris, as they both watch a hilarious scene unfold before their eyes.

"Welcome ladies and gentleman! We introduce you to this week's episode of Chanyeol doing his best to avoid Baekhyun’s light beams. How will it end? Watch to find out!" Kris imagines.

Kris laid his back against the walls of the training area and smirked. “It’s okay. He almost made me into a fried chicken the other day.”

“What happened now?” Jongdae interrupts the conversation. He enters the room and laughs a bit before continuing. “And why aren’t you doing something about it?” He looked at Kris.

“Do you want to become fried chicken?” Kris averts his gaze to him.

“What?” Jongdae replies, taken aback by the comment.

“I said,” he pauses, “do you want to become fried chicken?”

Jongdae contemplates for a bit,“…no.”

“Then let it be.” Kris patted the younger’s back and poor Jongdae felt completely lost.

Kyungsoo decides to come in and join the three, with Minseok behind him. “Is Chanyeol trying to pull pranks again or was he actually training?”

“I didn’t mean to!” Chanyeol manages to yell out at the small group before yelping as Baekhyun managed to kick him in the rear. Minseok shakes his head and walks his way to the center of the room waiting for them to pass by him. Once Chanyeol is in arm’s reach, he grabs Chanyeol by the back of his shirt and keeps him in place while Minseok raises the other arm and signals Baekhyun to come to a complete stop.

Baekhyun stands there infuriated that he could not get anymore hits on Chanyeol. Knowing that nothing will go his way any time soon, he decides to cool down and takes the empty chair between Tao and Sehun, crossing his arms together against his chest and slouches in it. Tao and Sehun exchange looks with one another and ignore the grumpy older and look at the training floor.

“So who’s next?”

 


 

“You can stop reading now.” Lan tells the small girl sitting in the library where books are sprawled all over. She's been immersed in these fairytale books that she never got a chance to look at, since all she was given to read were history books. “But I was getting to the good part!” She whines, jumping up and down from her spot.

“Come on, if you do well today. I’ll let you bring it up to your room.” He suggests with a smile.

“Really?!” She blinks her eyes and the biggest grin came upon her face. Lan nodded and the girl began to put back the books in it’s original place, except for one book that she holds dearly to.

“Is that the book you want to continue?” She vigorously nods at his question and hands it to him using both of her hands. Lan takes the book and holds it with his right arm as he and the girl walk to another training room that is specifically designed for her. As compared to the other spacious sparing room, hers was dark and cold. She was always monitored by the men and women dressed in white cloaks with tan outlines and she grew to hate these old folk. Only Lan was the only person she could trust amongst these people in the palace.

You see, this girl is an orphan. She woke up on a chilly night, alone and scared. Lan had found her in his apprentice days, wandering in the forest during the night-time while he was making rounds gathering herbs for the sick.

“Where are you from?”

“I don’t know.” She cowered.

“Your name?”

“I don’t know.” Her tears began to fall.

“A case of amnesia. Seems like a bad one.” He thought.

“Come with me. Maybe we can find your parents.”

“What’s a parent?”

“Pay attention!” The old man yelled, making the girl flinch partly as she came back to reality and mainly because she was frightened. “Yes sir.”

She closed her eyes and began to meditate. She stood still for quite some time and relaxed her body, breathing in and out.“Concentration is key.” 

Images of creatures began to jumble inside of her mind, trying to get every detail etched into her brain. Sweat drops began to form and fall on the small girl’s face. Every day it would a different creature of some sort. Strangely, sometimes a man’s face would show up once in a while. It was a blurry picture, never clear. With constant practice, it improved with time. The girl took a while to determine if it was only one person or many.

“Twelve.” She whispered, counting the heads excluding the ones that kept on reappearing.

“Twelve what?!” An old hag repeated.

Gaining back her focus, she muttered, “nothing.”

As young as she was, despite formalities and age, she wanted to punch the living daylights out of these people. Her anger increased day by day with more of these training sessions. She scoffed, like she could do anything about it. She paused her thinking for a moment and realized how heartless she had slowly become to be. She preferred easy work, like being sent to the city and do daily inspection. But no, she was stuck in this one window room with heavy chains on her arms and legs. Curse these things. The young girl clenched down on her teeth and slightly shook her cuffs.

“Hurry up. Time is precious.” One of the men yelled.

She sighed and complied to the order, closing her eyes once more to capture the vision of one of these beasts. A few minutes of pure quiet and breathing did the job as she was able to get one; one worthy enough to be honored and afraid of.

Light began to reflect on the girl’s body, slowing enveloping the surface and shape of her body until it covered her completely. She began to expand and grow into an unknown mass. Her arms and legs turning sturdy and scaly, shattering the chains off of her body. Her bright, brown eyes into a yellow color with her iris becoming a sharp, black oval. The back elongates into a line of spiny spikes, followed by a long tail. Claws dig into the floor, making a rough track. A shine scans her body, into a dark purple.

Through her new set of eyes, she scans the faces of the people in the room who had looks of relief on their faces. Near the exit, Lan was amazed at the sight since he was not allowed during her training. 

“Well done!” Lan exclaimed, covering his hands near his mouth.

In a second, she reverted back and ran into Lan’s arms.

“They don’t seem as enthusiastic as you are.” She mumbled.

“Trust me they are.” Lan moved her baby hairs away from her face.

“You may leave. Lan don’t forget about the meeting later.” The man reminded.

“Yes sir.” Lan bowed with the child and made their way out the door.

“What an odd pair.” The old hag commented.

The old woman had a point though. Lan was a man in his early thirties looking after a child that was not his own. Lan was well-toned with fair skin, hazel eyes, a nice face, tall and a married man. His wife, Daena, was a local baker while he was a council man.  Daena had pearl black hair that reached down to her waist, a slim body and face, and big brown eyes. The girl was never adopted by the married couple of five years as she was under protection of the kingdom they lived in called Sele. Lan never asked, but he figured it was that necklace the girl had around her neck when he brought her to the council’s attention, causing an uproar.

“Would you like a name?”

Daena asks the girl who shies away from the older, beautiful woman. She does not respond and Daena takes the silence as a yes. 

Lan explains to Daena of the girl's case of amnesia.

“What should we call her then?”

“You make it seem like she’s a thing.” Lan points out, chuckling at his wife.

“Well, I don’t know what to do.” She frowns, sitting down on a chair crossing her legs and supports her chin using her palm. Lan thinks for a moment and racks his brain to pull out a list of names.

“Kaylee? Nah it doesn’t feel right.”

“Stacy? Too plain.”

“Mark?"

"Why did I think of a boy name when clearly in front of me is a girl.” Lan sighs.

“How about Areum?” Daena speaks out.

“Areum? Like as in beautiful?”

“I don’t know. When I just look at her I feel like she will bloom beautifully; as an adult and in terms of looks.”

Lan ponders and he says the name in his mind. “Areum.”

Then he looks at the girl and says it out loud for her to hear. "Areum." 

It rolls off the tongue nicely and the two of them could see her respond, making them smile.

“From today on, your name will be, Areum.”

 


 

“So what would you like to do now Areum?”

“Sleep.”

He laughs. “Did you stay up late again?” Areum is not quick to respond and is weary of the girl’s answer.

“…nightmares?”

She nods. Lan pets her hair affectionately and she hums in response to the soft touch. He spots a nearby clock and sees the time. “Almost four.”

“Areum. It’s time for you to see the king and queen.” He reminds and she too, takes a look at the clock.

“Okay.”

He sends her off with an encouraging push and watches as her small figure disappears. Lan breathes in a long sigh and his heart quakes with worry. The last time Areum had met with the rulers she had accidentally transformed into an unrecognizable monster due to anger. She wrecked the room, and finally snapped out of it when she had injured Lan during her rampage. Not because of the king and queen, but from the council's constant pestering that she needed to work harder and perfecting her transformations.

The girl had nothing against royalty; they gave her a home, a room, clothes, food—anything. Her punishment was to stay in the dungeon for at least a week. It shortened to three days as Lan pleaded with the elders. It wasn't the first time she’s done that either. Areum didn't mean to, it just happens.

Lan sighs and turns his heels around to walk in the opposite direction. He greets everyone who tends to the palace and his feet take him to the other training room. Remembering his ettiquette, he knocks on the side of the door before entering and he isn't even the slightest unfazed.

He hears swears coming from different directions and all sorts of projectiles that they could get their hands on thrown across to the other side of the room.

Yixing makes his way to him and stands beside him.

“Mind telling me what this silly brawl is about?” Lan asks.

“I don’t know really. We were playing rock-paper-scissors and the next thing you know somebody has a weapon in their hand.”

“And they threw it without reason?”

“Like I said, I don’t know.”

“Bring Luhan over here please?” Lan rubs his temples.

“Yes sir.” Yixing snakes his way through the battlefield of idiots and taps Luhan’s shoulder who turns around in a flash with a sword to Yixing’s throat. Luhan becomes wide-eyed while Yixing stands there as if nothing is wrong. Luhan throws the sword to the ground and looks at Yixing.

“What’s up?” He says casually.

“Lan,” they dodge an incoming spear, “wants,”

“Tao! You’re going to get it I swear!” Jongdae yells as Luhan and Yixing back away, letting Tao and Jongdae through.

“You.” Yixing manages to finish and points backwards with his thumb.

Luhan looks at the current situation: Sehun is having way too much fun gliding around the room with his wind.

Jongin keeps on poking everyone’s shoulder and disappears when they are about to turn around; making his target agitated and blaming those closest to them.

Tao stops everyone in their tracks and makes the person face a wall so when he turns time back on, they earn a mighty smack of steel.

Kyungsoo stomps the ground so hard, it's quite difficult for the rest to balance on their feet and laughs until his sides hurt.

Chanyeol spins like a fast merry-go-round shooting fireballs in numerous directions.

Jondgae tries to zap Tao to ashes as he keeps on becoming Tao’s easy prey.

Baekhyun gets his chance of revenge by temporarily blinding Chanyeol and knocks the tall boy to the floor with a football tactic.

Junmyeon at first was getting rid of the fireballs but he joined the fight once he caught sight of his ruined book that was being ripped to shreds by Sehun’s winds. He only had one page left, one page!

Kris was hovering in the air trying to avoid the surprise tactics.

And finally, Minseok creates an ice barrier around himself and takes a nap on the chair that Junmyeon had previously occupied.

Luhan ignores the need to continue and follows Yixing.

“Hello sir.” Luhan bowed.

“Hey Luhan.” He pats the young-looking man’s back.

“So let me confirm. This,” he pointed to the lunatics, “started because of a game of rock-paper-scissors?”

“Basically…yeah.” Luhan rubs his neck and laughs at the sight, wondering how it got this bad.

“Mind stopping them for me? Got a meeting with you twelve.”

“Yes sir.” Luhan carries out the order and raises his hand. A pearlescent purple captures the body figure of them all, paralyzing their actions.

“Tao!” They exclaim.

“It’s not me I swear!” With a flick of his wrist Luhan brings the stationary men in front of Lan. He simply lowers his hand and breaks his concentration making the boys fall into a dog pile.

“Luhan!” Sehun whines, being squished by the enormous weight. While everyone else is groaning from the pain of the harsh, uncalled for landing

“Sorry. Orders are orders.” Luhan perks up his shoulders, cocking his head to the side.

“Can someone get me Minseok?” Lan asks, he sees that Luhan didn't reach him.

“Got it.” Yixing goes to him and knocks gently on the cold surface. Minseok is fast to react and looks up at Yixing who signals him to the group in the front of the door. Minseok nods and his ice barrier breaks into small, glistening sparkles and walks first with Yixing following.

“My apologies sir.” Minseok says.

“No problem. Come on you twelve, follow me.” Lan instructs with a wave.

The thirteen of them walk to the conference room with no peace as everyone is still up for a fight amongst each other.

“Junmyeon. Kris.” Minseok calls the two who have calmed down, “please, do something about it.” He urges, not wanting to abuse his power and burst out because of his irritation.

The two leaders are able to quiet the restless ones long enough before Lan opens the doors to the large conference room.

“Lan.” He perks up to his name and sees Marcus entering the room briefly, a colleague he works with. “It went well. No worries.” He waves goodbye and Lan’s heart is at ease. "Well done Areum."

Everyone soon fills the empty seats and Lan takes the last one. “Ready to start the meeting?” Lan asks waiting for everyone’s confirmation. They all nod and relax in their chairs. “Another mission is given to you twelve. It’ll be long though.”

“How long?” Jongin supports his upper body with his elbows on the table and palms underneath his chin.

“Depends on how long you take.”

“Delivery?” Jongdae throws out.

“No. Gather information.”

“About what?” Baekhyun questions.

“On you twelve.”

“Us? But sir, we’re here. Just ask away.” Chanyeol says, confused by the answer.

“Do you remember those visions you have been telling me about recently?” They all nod.

“Prophecy was right.” He mutters under his breath. “You have been chosen to be the ones who will save Sele from destruction.” Lan plainly states.

“That sounds like it came out from a fairytale sir.” Kris comments. "We're just regular warriors."

“Not this one. And plus, we live in a world where nothing is normal." Lan clears his throat. "Instead of guarding someone you all will be guarded by a single person.”

“Are we not capable of taking care of ourselves sir?” Junmyeon asked.

“It's a long story. For safety reasons, trust me on this one. Although, it might be hard for you all to accept who it is.” Lan sighs on the last comment.

“And who might that be?” Luhan blurts out.

“You will know. For now, rest. I believe that tomorrow will be quite the shocker.” Lan gets up from his seat and the rest bow as Lan leaves, being the busy man he is. After the meeting is finished, it's already past sunset and they all leave for the dorms.

“Who do you think our guardian is?” Tao asked.

“Maybe an old person.” Jongin mused.

“Let’s just hope for someone who’s capable.” Chanyeol added.

“That’s enough guys. If our guardian was chosen by Lan, then we should put our trust in him. Now go to sleep.” Junmyeon says.

Even though they were exhausted from training almost the whole day, excluding their little fiasco. They were all up late thinking about their guardian and why this mission was so important.

“Who could it be?”