Chapter 29

Players of Deception

Tavia arrived in the lobby of Charmaine's hotel and found Ron waiting for her. She glanced at her watch and stated, “You’re early.”

Ron gave her a sheepish smile and responded, “I don’t like to keep a woman waiting.”

Tavia smiled at his answer and asked, “Did you have breakfast yet?”

Ron beamed and said with humor, “I was hoping you would have bought some for me.”

Tavia lifted her hand and Ron saw the brown bag in it which he didn’t notice before. “I got sandwiches and coffee. If you want anything else you would have to get it yourself.”

“Sandwiches are perfect,” Ron said quickly then offered to hold the bag for her. As they made their way towards the elevator banks Raymond called out to them from the entrance of the hotel. Surprised to see him, Ron asked, “What brings you here?”

“I’m here to help Charmaine with her move,” Raymond answered casually then gave Ron an inquiringly look, “What are YOU doing here?”

Ron flicked a glance at Tavia and said with a sly grin, “The same as you.”

Tavia looked at Raymond suspiciously and said, “Charmaine didn’t tell me that you were going to be here.” The plain fact was that she hasn’t spoken to Charmaine in the past week. They have both been busy with the familiarizing and restructuring of L&T that their personal lives seemed to have been all but forgotten in the meantime between them. From their last conversation, Charmaine had made it adamantly clear that she will not have any more further contact with Raymond. So seeing him here was quite a revelation to Tavia.

Raymond sensed a hostility in Tavia and didn’t know what to make of it. “It was last minute,” he said slowly not understanding why Tavia continued to look at him with disdain.

Ron also sensed a bad vibe coming from Tavia at Raymond’s presence and to divert it, he broke into a smile and ushered her into the elevator. “What floor?” he asked out loud as he stood by the panel and waited for her answer.

“Eighteen,” Raymond blurted and both Ron and Tavia turned to look at him with astonishment. Seeing the questions on their faces Raymond decided to be open with them about his relationship with Charmaine. He never had any intentions of hiding it but he never planned on announcing it either. But now since he was here and so were they he might as well just tell them. “Charmaine and I are dating,” he said simply.

Ron chuckled when he heard the news, “Congratulations man!” he punched Ray on the arm playfully. “Why didn’t you tell me sooner?”

“Did you break up with Myolie?” Tavia’s question cut in coldly, her eyes shooting venom at Raymond.

“Myolie?” Raymond and Ron repeated the name simultaneously then both of them broke into a series of chuckles.

Tavia stomped her foot, “What’s so funny?” she demanded when she realized that they were laughing at her. Her question made them laugh harder. “Ron!” she hissed.

Ron took deep breaths to calm himself and said, “Don’t ever believe in any of those rumors floating around L&T. Ninety-nine percent of those rumors are false.”

Tavia looked from Ron to Raymond and what she saw on them was not deceit or cunning at trying to deny it but rather truthfulness and downright open mockery at her for believing in the rumor. Feeling like an idiot she said weakly, “You're not going out with Myolie?”

With his laughter fading away, Raymond looked Tavia in the eye and said, “No. Myolie and I are just friends. Charmaine knows that already.”

Tavia turned to Ron and he nodded his head in confirmation. Suddenly Tavia’s face lit up with amusement as she gave Raymond a teasing smile. “So, when did you and Charmaine started? I want all the details.”

----------------------------------------------

Charmaine dashed to her ringing cellphone and flipped it open with one hand, “Hello?”

“Hi Charmaine, it’s me Kevin,” Kevin greeted in his usual jolly voice.

“Kevin, good to hear from you, what’s up?” Charmaine asked as she sat down on the bed. Kevin cleared his throat and even over the phone, Charmaine could tell he was nervous about what he was going to say. With trepidation, she asked lowly, “What is it?”

“Did my mom call you?” Kevin asked casually.

“Yes, she did. She said she wants to see me but she didn’t give me a date or time.”

“Do you have time now? It won’t take long,” Kevin said.

Charmaine glanced at the packed bags and boxes scattered around the room and said, “I’m actually in the process of moving to an apartment.”

“Moving?” Kevin repeated incredulously, “and you didn’t even bother to ask me for my help? Do you still think of me as a friend?”

“I didn’t want to trouble anyone and besides I don’t have that much to move,” Charmaine said softly.

“Where’s your apartment?” Kevin asked, “I’ll swing by later with food.”

Charmaine gave him the address then said, “I’ll see you later.”