Chapter 58

Players of Deception

Raymond floored the gas pedal as he raced towards Charmaine’s apartment. His stomach clenched tightly as Kevin’s words echoed in his ears. She didn’t lie about the baby. She had been telling the truth all along. He didn’t believe her when she told him the news. With aching torment, he recalled her words to him when they last saw each other and hope he wasn’t too late. The wounded look on her face would be forever embedded in his memory. He would do whatever it takes for her to forgive him. Of course knowing how stubborn she is, she won’t forgive him so easily, but he hoped in time, he would be able to make things right between them again. How he didn’t know but he was adamant about doing it.

Tavia opened the door and the displeasure on seeing him was evident on her face. “What do you want?” she scowled, her eyes shooting daggers at him.

Raymond looked past Tavia into the room for a sign of Charmaine but she wasn’t in sight. “I need to speak to Charmaine. Is she home?”

Tavia walked away from the door and he followed her in. He saw packed boxes everywhere and a feeling of forbidding swept through him. “Charmaine?” he called out anxiously in the direction of the bedroom. “Charmaine?”

“She’s not here,” Tavia said stonily as she stood with her arms crossed over her chest glaring at him.

“Where is she? I need to speak to her,” Raymond cried urgently.

Tavia dropped her arms and went back to the box that she was packing prior to his arrival. Without looking at him, she said, “She left.”

Thinking that she stepped out to run an errand, Raymond said, “I’ll wait for her to come back then,” and was about to sit down on the couch when Tavia spoke.

“She’s not coming back,” Tavia said curtly.

Raymond froze in place as he asked with panic, “Where did she go?”

Tavia dropped the item she had finished wrapping into the box and said, “She went back to London and she won’t be coming back here ever again.”

Raymond ran over to Tavia and clutched her shoulders. Shaking her he said, “I have to find her! Give me her address!”

Tavia flung his hands off her and seethed, “Find her for what? To take another shot at her? Haven’t you hurt her enough already?”

Raymond cringed at the truth of Tavia’s words. Flushed with guilt, he said, “I’m sorry for doubting her. I want to explain...”

“I don’t want to hear another word from you.” She walked to the front door and hissed, “Get out!”

“Tavia please…” Raymond begged, “Tell me where I can find her.”

“What’s going on here?” Kevin asked as he walked into the apartment.

Tavia turned to Kevin with surprise. Softening her voice she said, “What are you doing here? Didn’t you say we were meeting back at your place tonight?”

Raymond looked between the two and a suspicion began forming. “You two…”

“Yes,” Kevin confirmed with a loving smile at Tavia, “We’re together and I owe it all to Charmaine.”

Stunned by this new piece of news, Raymond asked with confusion, “How come she never mentioned this to me?”

“Sorry buddy but I asked her not to say anything about it,” Kevin said then explained, “I was afraid of being rejected and you know how shy I am and…”

“Kevin!” Tavia interrupted impatiently, “You didn’t answer my question, what are you doing here? Shouldn’t you be at work?”

Kevin gave her a fleeting glance then turned to Raymond and said, “I actually came here to find Raymond.”

“Well you found him,” Tavia said snidely and looked angrily away. “And now you can get rid of him for me.”

Raymond pulled on Tavia’s arm and pleaded, “Please tell me where I can find her.”

With more force than necessary, Tavia pushed Raymond causing him to stumble backwards. When he made to approach her again, Kevin quickly stepped in front of him and shook his head silently telling him that it was no use.

“Get out!” Tavia shouted this time. With his shoulders slumped and head bowed, Raymond slowly walked out. “Wait,” Tavia said and walked back into the living room to retrieve a box. She pushed the box into his hands, “Charmaine left this for you. I was going to ask Kevin to bring it to you but since you’re here, take it.”

Raymond looked down at the box. On the cover was his name and he recognized it as Charmaine’s handwriting. Before he could ask another question Tavia slammed the door on his face.

Inside his car, Raymond took the lid off of the box and stared at the contents with overwhelming sadness. Gently he picked up a framed picture of him and Charmaine, taken when they spent the day at the amusement park. They looked so happy. in a breath, he lifted a long jewelry box and opened it to find the necklace that he had given her for their one month anniversary. With tears blurring his vision, he saw the Little Hello Kitty doll that he had given her as a prize for beating him at checkers. All the items in the box were gifts from him at one time or another. The return of them to him sent a message loud and clear to Raymond. She wanted nothing more to do with him. With a shaky breath he broke down in tears.