Chapter 57

Players of Deception

Everyone filed into the large conference room and took their places around the oblong table. Raymond walked with trepidation towards his seat unsure of his feelings about seeing Charmaine again. Since their confrontation he had avoided going up to her floor and knowing her work schedule habits, took great pains in avoiding her altogether. He knew he could never forgive her for what she’s done and yet, he missed her badly. Alone in bed at night, visions of her floated through his mind. Even asleep, she occupied his dreams. He doubted he would ever be able to forget her but knew he had to. He was only hurting himself by not letting go.

Kevin walked in and immediately his eyes fell on Raymond. He wondered whether Raymond was aware that Charmaine was leaving for London today. The suddenness of her decision to leave raised alarm bells in Kevin and he can bet on anything that Ray has no clue. He had pressed Tavia for the reason but Tavia’s mouth was as tight as a seal. The only thing she offered to tell him was that it was for the better. When Kevin asked if Raymond had anything to do with Charmaine’s decision, Tavia’s eyes flared up with anger. In a deadly voice, she warned him never to mention that bastard’s name in front of her ever again.

Raymond saw Kevin the moment he entered but he quickly looked away. At this moment, he didn’t want to even look at his so called friend. Just the sight of Kevin angered him and he knew this was not the time or place for it.

Kevin took his usual seat beside Raymond and greeted, “Hey Ray.”

Without turning around, Raymond muttered, “Hi.”

“Listen, I have something to tell you…” Kevin began but was cut off by a loud clap.

“May I have everyone’s attention,” Uncle Lau called out from the head of the table. Everyone ceased their chatting and turned as one to look at him. “I have two important announcements to make this morning. The first is that Charmaine Sheh has resigned from her position as President of L&T.” He waited until the buzzes of surprise had dimmed before continuing, “The second is that her shares of L&T are now up for sale.”

Raymond stared in shock at Uncle Lau as the news slowly sunk in. He finally turned to look at Kevin but didn’t see any surprise on the other man’s face. “Why would she give up L&T?” he asked in a low voice so that only Kevin could hear.

Kevin met Raymond’s eyes directly and asked calmly, “I’m waiting for you to tell me.”

“Me?” Raymond asked then laughed bitterly, “You’re closer with her!”

Kevin heard the bitterness in Raymond’s voice and saw the irritation on his face. Completely baffled as to why Raymond was acting this way, he asked, “What exactly do you mean by that?”

Before Raymond have a chance to answer, Uncle Lau’s booming voice caught their attention, “If there are no questions regarding this turn of events then the meeting is now adjourned.” With those parting words he left the room.

Raymond and Kevin remained in their seats while they waited for the room to clear out. When the last person left, Raymond jumped out of his seat and shut the door. With his back to Kevin, he remained standing there for a few seconds to compose himself. Relax he told himself. Don’t let Kevin see how his breakup with Charmaine has affected him. Pasting a smile on his face, he turned to face Kevin and asked zealously, “So how are things with you?”

Kevin was taken aback by the quick shift of moods in Raymond. Just moments ago he could feel the tension radiating from Raymond and now he was smiling at him like he just won a jackpot or something. Eyeing him warily, Kevin replied, “I’m good. You?”

Keeping the silly smile plastered on his face, Raymond said with fervor, “Great! Never been better. By the way, congratulations to you and Charmaine.”

Kevin narrowed his eyes and asked slowly, “Congratulations on what?”

“No need to hide it. I know you guys have been secretly dating for some time now.” Raymond saw the bafflement on Kevin’s face and knew he would continue to deny it. He gave Kevin an over bright smile and assured, “Don’t worry. I don’t mind.”

Torn between disbelief and amusement at what he had just heard from Raymond, Kevin asked with a chuckle, “Ray, what are you talking about? Do you think Charmaine and I…?” He trailed off in laughter.

Raymond frowned seeing Kevin’s reaction. He had expected to see shame and even guilt on Kevin’s face but definitely not this. A feeling of uneasiness began building within him as he whispered, “The baby…”

Trying to contain his laughter, Kevin held his hand up to interrupt him, “You mean your baby.”

“My baby?” Raymond repeated in awe, his heart pummeling wildly against his chest. One thing about Kevin was that he was as honest and straightforward as a four year old. He didn’t even know how to lie even if his life depended on it. “My baby?” he repeated again more hoarsely.

Kevin saw the color drain from Raymond’s face and his laughter quickly faded. “Wait, you think that she and I… that we… that I’m the father of her baby?”

Raymond didn’t say a word as he stared in horror at Kevin. He could feel cold sweat break all over his body as the realization of what he had done hit him with full force.

Kevin patted Raymond on the back and said firmly, “Charmaine is pregnant with your baby.”

Without saying another word, Raymond ran out of the room in full speed.

“Wait Ray, I have to tell you something,” Kevin called out as he ran after his friend but Raymond was already in an elevator and by the time Kevin got there, the door had closed.