Chapter 2: Happy birthday Minhee

White Secrets

Minhee’s POV

“Another boring day at school… Why can’t life be more interesting?… Oh, that’s right… I have no friends because people think I’m weird and cast me as an outsider ….” I mumbled while opening the door to my apartment.

“Well at least I have Naeun and Chanyeol” I excused.  “Pft.  I’m talking to myself now.” I trudged inside and was greeted by a small white fluff ball.  “I guess I’m spending my 16th birthday alone this year as well” I mumbled. 

I looked down at Luhan who was jumping and pulling on my clothes trying to get my attention. “Oh Lulu… Why do you have to be so hyper?” I sighed as he wagged his tail and followed me to my room.  He hopped on my bed and waited for me to pet him.  I threw my back pack to who knows where and took off my coat.

"Why can’t you be a human Luhan?" I asked him while flopping onto my welcoming bed; the only thing that welcomes me and it isn’t even alive. I rolled on to my back and stared at him knowing he won’t be able to respond.

"Great... Now I’m talking to a dog... Am I really this friendless?" I thought aloud as he nonchalantly walked onto my belly and lied down.

Luhan cocked his head in confusion. “It’s nothing.... Just go back to your lazy comfortable life..."I patted his head and he closed his eyes in glee.  I started to close my eyes but reopened them when a strange thought crossed my mind.

I wonder what Luhan would look like as a human? I thought to myself. Maybe this is why I don’t have friends... I’m weird...Well these things are not possible. I jumped off the bed and walked into the kitchen with Luhan trailing behind. "Are you hungry? Let’s eat something!"

I placed his food next to my food and sat down.  He stared at his food in disgust and pushed it away.

“Oh come on!  You have to eat your own food.  Because of you I have to go to the grocery store more than I have to…” I glared at him.  He stared at me innocently in return.  I sighed and gave in.

“Fine… this is the last time…Last!” I emphasized.  As if understanding me he happily ate my food while I stood up to get more rice and steamed beef.  I stared at him in disbelief as he gobbled up the meal. 

“I don’t understand how such a small dog can eat more than me” I mumbled while digging into my own food. Because I’m a growing boy. I looked up and swore I heard a voice.  I stared at Luhan who was casually eating his dinner.  I shook my head and continued.

After dinner, I started my homework but was interrupted by my dog pulling on my clothes. I guess he’s bored too. He has been home alone all day.  I closed my book, using my pencil as a bookmark, and sat on the floor next to him.  Immediately, he snuggled onto my lap. Awww he just wanted to cuddle.  I smiled and soothingly his fur.

By the time I finished my homework, even the ones due next week, it was dark.  I sighed and changed into appropriate sleep wear.

"Its bed time Luhan! C’mon" I yelled as I made my way to my bed. I snuggled into my blankets and soon felt a light weight moving towards the head of the bed.  Luhan made himself comfortable on my pillow right above my head.

I know this is silly but, I closed my eyes and right before I fell asleep I whispered, "I don’t want to be alone anymore.  I wish Luhan, you turned into a human so I can feel less like a lonely loser." 

Right when I was about to drift off into wonderland, loud knocking disturbed my sleep.  I grunted and sat up.  Luhan’s head perked up as I got off the bed and went to the door.  He quickly jumped off the bed and followed. 

“Who is it so late at night?”  I hesitantly turned the door knob and opened it just enough so I can poke my head out.

“SURPRISE!” Naeun and Chanyeol exclaimed in unison. I blinked at them twice and shut the door on their face.

“Yah! Don’t be so mean, Minhee” Chanyeol voiced from outside. As soon as Luhan heard the deep voice from outside, he started barking.

“Go away, Chanyeol. Nobody asked you to be here. You’re bothering Minhee and making Luhan bark like a mad dog” Naeun scolded. “Why does he hate you anyway?” she asked suspiciously.

“Nobody asked you to be here either, Naeun. Why are you here anyway?” I said opening the door once more so they can come in.

Naeun stepped in first. “Because it’s your birthday! We’re here to celebrate with you!” she stated as if it were obvious. She walked towards the table with a box in her hand.

As soon as Chanyeol stepped in, Luhan attacked him. Luhan gripped the hem of Chanyeol’s pants with his teeth. He tugged, pulled, and shook his head furiously in attempt to rip it off.

Chanyeol, annoyed, tried to shake the dog off, but “accidently” kicked him. “Shut up, you mutt. Get away from me” he glared at him.

“Did you just kick him? Did you just kick this poor, innocent, sweet dog?” Naeun asked in disbelief while comforting Luhan. Luhan whimpered and acted as if he were dying.

“Why must you two always do this every time you guys are around each other?” I sighed and picked up Luhan.

 

Luhan’s POV:

“He’s an evil dog! He does this on purpose!....... You know Minhee, you should just throw him away” Chanyeol rebutted. Naeun gasped and punched Chanyeol in the arm.

AHAHA… You think they’ll believe a stupid, creepy giraffe like you over a cute, innocent dog like me?

“Shut up… at least I’m human” Chanyeol childishly stuck his tongue out at Luhan.  Minhee and Naeun gawked at him.

“Are… you… talking… to …a dog?” they asked with their mouths open. 

“Chanyeol… are you high? Are you….  Did you stop taking your pills?” Naeun asked short on words.  Omg.  Oh~ how I want to laugh! Hahahahahahah!  to be you Chanyeol!

He glared at me but shut up knowing he couldn’t do anything.

“Are you guys done?  Get out!” Minhee bluntly retorted.

“We brought you cake though” Chanyeol whined.  She sighed and took out a knife. She took out a match and lighted the candles on the cake.

“Happy birthday to me. Happy birthday to me. Happy birthday dear me-ee. Happy birthday to me” Minhee monotonously sang to herself, quickly blew out the candles, and pointed at the door. “There, happy? Now get out.  It’s near midnight” she ordered.  Naeun sighed then smiled.

“Okay… bye~…. Chanyeol this is your fault…you creepy giant” she waved while grabbing Chanyeol’s ear and pulled him out the door.  You go girl!

“Ow ow ow… bye… ow…. Minhee…. Ow ow let go!” Chanyeol smiled his dorky smile then continued to cry in pain.  Minhee left the cake untouched and rushed back to her room.  I trotted back to the bed as well and crawled to my rightful spot.

Don’t worry Minhee.  You won’t be alone anymore.