All of a Sudden

Words I couldn't say

The two Astros, finally met.

"Kyungsoo!" Sulli waved as she grabbed Soojung along with her, hurried towards the dazed penguin.

"You know them?" Kai astounded.

Kyungsoo stared eyes-wide at the girls. His gaze frantically switching between the two girls - because he wanted to look at Soojung but at the same time too shy to eye-contact.

 

"Hey" Soojung punched Kyungsoo in his shoulder, giving the cheeky smirk.

Kyungsoo ruffled his hair and smiled, "It's been a while, isn't it?"

They stared and smiled at each other, just like the old times.

 

"You girls...are Kyungsoo's friends...?" Kai broke in, breaking Soojung away from her thoughts, hallucinations.

"Yeah! I'm Sulli. She's Soojung!"

"Hii..." Soojung smiled awkwardly to Kai and slowly turned to face Kyungsoo, who broke out a soft "hi".

Hello isn't how it used to be. Time and distance had made everything a little unfamiliar and awkward.

 

Kai nudged Kyungsoo.

"Oh, this is my colleague...He's..." Kyungsoo muttered.

"Kai. My name's Kai. Nice to meet y'all." Kai said while letting out his heart-stopping smile.

"I think we should join tables!" he continued while nudging Kyungsoo and giving him a hint.

The restaurant made the arrangements and soon they start to look like they are on a double date. Two guys sitting next to each other, and two girls right across them. Sulli, who was long attracted to Kai's charismatic nature, sat across him with eyes that simply had no intention of leaving. Kai, on the other hand, had his eyes for Soojung. It was no surprise since Soojung was pretty. At the same time, Soojung and Kyungsoo sat there, staring at the menu in their respective hands, refusing to lift up their heads.

 

"Can I have your orders?", the waiter came and attended to their orders.

Kai looked around and took initiative.

"I'll have Tonkotsu Ramen without spring onion. Thanks."

Sulli looked at the waiter, "Same".

"What about you?" the waiter asked Kyungsoo.

Kyungsoo glanced over and waited Soojung for her order. Soojung glanced at Kyungsoo and quickly looked back at her menu. They both took a while, waiting for each other to order first.

"Shio!" the both of them responded almost at the same time, after politely waiting for each other.

"2 servings of Shio ramen. Thank you." Kyungsoo blurted, closing his menu.

Aren't we like Astro twins?

Soojung shook her head, releasing the thoughts.

"Help yourselves at our free-flow salad bar over there," the waiter said his last words before leaving.

Kai stood up, signalling the rest to follow suit. Sulli jumped at the moment.

"I'll go with you!" Sulli exclaimed. "I think we can help them take their servings."

With that, the Astro twins were left alone.

 

...

"I saw your reply"

"Oh...that..." Kyungsoo didn't know what to say. There were so much he wanted to say and share with her but he didn't know what in exact, how to say, where to start. He cleared his mind, and his throat. "How are you?"

Soojung was glad, happy, relieved. There were so much she wanted to ask, wanted to say but she didn't know if their relationship is still the same as before she left. She didn't know if Kyungsoo would answer her questions; she didn't know if Kyungsoo would find her jokes childish, her teasing unbearable; she didn't know if Kyungsoo would still be interested to know her life. "As usual..."

"When did you...come back?"

"Today...I was unpacking and Sulli came over. So we decided to have dinner and...here we are"

Kyungsoo listened, attentively. He has always been a good listener.

"So...why are you here?" Soojung added.

"Oh we were off work and just decided to drop by to have dinner. Our company is just across the street. A small building..."

"You're working as...?"

"Just a small office man hehs. Human resource. And doing administrative works...all those...you know it..."

"I thought you had bigger dreams?" Soojung shocked "Isn't being a writer always your dream?"

Kyungsoo let out a slight smirk "dreams would always remain as a dream...I think while growing up, I learnt to be practical..."

Soojung listened as she stares into Kyungsoo's eyes. It isn't the Kyungsoo she used to know. And Kyungsoo, he seemed to have gone through quite a lot. She wanted to probe further - the reason Kyungsoo is trapping himself into a box and distancing himself away from people, from life - but she knew Kyungsoo did not want to go on.

"You know, some part in my life, I left regrets. And it felt bad..."

I regretted leaving. No, I regretted not letting you know how I felt before leaving.

"Regrets...I can't relive the moments again and make changes. I hope you don't suffer the same regret I had"

I regretted not letting you know how I felt before you left. That's my biggest regret.

"...Let's not talk about it. So what are your plans after coming back?"

"I'd be interning at a design firm, DESIGN&CO."

Kyungsoo was happy for Soojung, working hard towards her dream, unlike him.

"Oh, that's great. Kai has relatives in the firm."

"Really? Kai looks like a really nice and outgoing person."

"...yea...he is." a little jealousy as well as inferiority kicked in.

"How old is he?" unaware, Soojung asked more questions on Kai.

Has our conversations turned into talking about others and not on you and me?

 

"What were y'all talking about?" Kai barged in with plates of raw lettuces and salad dressing, Sulli tagging right behind.

Kai handed a plate of salad to Soojung, which Kyungsoo silently snatched over. The 3 looked at Kyungsoo, shocked at his behavior, awaiting for his reasons. Kyungsoo looked up, a face of innocent. Sulli was half-puzzled with the unfamiliar Kyungsoo, yet a little happy inside her. Kai could not make sense what this meant. Soojung thought, was this an act of jealousy?

"She...can't eat mayonnaise," Kyungsoo blurted.

Kai took a while to recollect himself. He almost misunderstood Kyungsoo.

"Oh, sorry I didn't know that" Kai apologized to Soojung who was staring at Kyungsoo.

"You still remember?"

"Of course I do, am I stupid or what?"

 

"Stupid, is this with mayonnaise?" Soojung, mouth full of food, asked with a worried face.

"Yup!" Kyungsoo responded. "...why...?" realizing something must be wrong.

Soojung didn't meet Kyungsoo for quite a while. It was also the incident that Kyungsoo learnt about Soojung's allergies. Ever since, Kyungsoo paid close attention to the things Soojung eat and didn't eat. He didn't want history to repeat itself.

 

With that, Kyungsoo went to get another plate of salad for Soojung. Soojung, a little happy inside.

He remembered.

The 4 talked over dinner, with Kai initiating most of the conversations. He got along with the girls quite quickly. Ever since, Kyungsoo spoke lesser and lesser. He just sat there and reacted to their conversations. He looked at Kai who was busy talking. He knew he wouldn't stand a match over Kai. Kai who knew about Soojung's new internship opportunity also promised to introduce her to his relatives working in the firm. Kyungsoo found himself slowly fading into the background.

Soojung sensed something was not right and glanced to look at Kyungsoo, who was lost in thoughts. She only found herself more and more distant from Kyungsoo. She couldn't figure out why.

What happened to you? I'm here and you're not. One moment, I got closer to you. All of a sudden, we are miles apart.

 

 

Geudae sorinae hanbeon utjil annneyo
Geureoke eosaekhan saiingayo
Uri manheun geoseul hamkke haenneunde
Nungil hanbeondo songil hanbeondo

Sesang moduga geudael boayo
Hajiman neul geureoteut geudaen eodupjyo
Naneun han saramman gaseume damaseo
Geudae dwitmoseumman tto bonaeyo
Nan neul geureoke meongi deureoyo

Ulkeok niga bogo sipeun geureonnal
Ulkeok nae mami nae mamdaero an doen nal
Ulkeok ssodajineun naui nunmuri
Haru jongil geudaereul butdeulgo

Naneun sori nae ulji anhayo
Hajiman neul geureoteut useul sun itjyo
Naege nameun geon sangcheo ppunirado
Geudae dwitmoseube nan useoyo

Nan neul geureoke ulgoman itjyo

Ulkeok niga bogo sipeun geureon nal
Ulkeok nae mami nae mamdaero an doen nal
Ulkeok ssodajineun naui nunmuri
Haru jongil geudaereul butdeulgo

Ulkeok ssodajineun nunmul sogeseo
Ulkeok gwaenchanha dadogyeoboado
Ijen oji anheul geudaeraneungeol
N
aega araseo da araseo

Annyeong

 

Trans:

You haven’t laughed out loud yet
Are we that awkward with each other?

We did so many things together
But you haven’t given me a single look or touch

The whole world is looking at you
But just like always, you’re so dark
I only have one person in my heart
So I’m only looking at your turned back again
I’m always being bruised like this

All of a sudden, on days I miss you
All of a sudden, when I can’t do as my heart wants
All of a sudden, tears fall down
All day, I hold onto you

I won’t cry out loud
But I can smile like I’ve always been doing
Even if all I have are scars
I can smile by seeing your turned back

I’m always crying like this

All of a sudden, on days I miss you
All of a sudden, when I can’t do as my heart wants
All of a sudden, tears fall down
All day, I hold onto you

All of a sudden, with my falling tears
All of a sudden, I comfort myself, saying it’s okay
I know that you won’t come now
So I’ll deal with it on my own

Goodbye

All of a Sudden by f(x)'s Krystal