The Fifth Time

Six

Six

 

The Fifth Time

 

Meals at the dorm were always a production. Manager hyung would putter around the kitchen for hours beforehand, supervising knives that chopped vegetables and spoons that stirred pots full of soups and stews. A fresh loaf of bread was just finished baking when Suho and Xiumin arrived, sniffing the delicious smelling air. They had barely stepped into the room when manager hyung descended upon them, pulling each of them into a tight hug. It was obvious that he missed s since all twelve have gone home for their break.

“Lunch will be ready in an hour,” he informed them, patting Xiumin’s cheek. “The others are already outside playing. Go join them.” Suho laughed as Xiumin tried to pry manager hyung’s hands off his cheeks. He was sure the manager loved his cheek. Both brunettes exited through the kitchen door.

“Is there anything I can do to help?” Suho called from outside.

Manager hyung shook his head and smiled. “No, enjoy yourselves. I’ve got everything under control.”

The leader continued his way outside. Across him was EXO playing a game of basketball, yelling to one another and cheering whenever one team scored. He waved to the others and went to sit beside Monggu who was currently chomping down a treat Kai gave him. a shadow hovered over him, blocking the sunlight that beamed in his eyes. It wasn’t until the shadow moved and sat down beside him that he looked who it was.

“Xiumin,” he said without surprise. “Aren’t you going to play?”

“Maybe later, I thought I’d keep you company for a bit,” he replied.

The dog was barking, but Suho couldn’t focus on what to do. Xiumin sighed intermittently as Suho tried to concentrate. “How long do you plan on watching me pet Monggu?” he asked, glancing over at the smiling round face.

He took on a contemplative look, tapping his index finger against his lips. “Hmm, either until you stop petting Monggu and talk to me, or until the game is over. Whichever coms first.”

With a sigh, Suho petted Monggu one last time before giving him letting him free to play with Kai who was currently taking a break from the game. He looked pointedly at Xiumin, waiting for him to speak.

“We kissed.”

“Accidentally,” he replied dismissively, looking back to the game.

Xiumin shook his head. “We didn’t kiss accidentally. You just fell on me and our lips were attached. But does that really change anything?”

“It doesn’t change anything between us,” he murmured. “It can’t. Not if it can destroy our friendship.”

“Why not?” Xiumin asked, a small growl in his voice. Suho turned to look at him with wide eyes. “It’s just… I’ve… I don’t know.”

He rested his hand on Xiumin’s forearm, glad when he didn’t pull it away from his reach. “You can tell me,” he replied softly.

“I like you,” he admitted sheepishly, reaching out with his right hand to cover Suho’s comforting hand. “And I know I shouldn’t because of your girlfriend and everything, but I can’t help it. I really like you, Suho.”

“But you’ve never…” Suho stuttered as he tried to pull away. He in a deep breath and exhaled slowly. “What do we do now?”

Xiumin shrugged and removed his hand before standing up. He took time to brush of the grass and dirt from the seat of his pants before saying, “We do nothing. Apparently the kiss meant nothing to you.”

Suho shot up the second he was done talking. “It didn’t… did mean something to me,” he admitted, staring down at his shoes.

“Lunch is ready!”

At once, ten basketball players left the ball bouncing, Kai took his dogs, and ran towards the kitchen. Xiumin stepped around Suho, leaving Suho in his place.

“Come on, lunch is served.” He said coldly before walking away. Suho watched, standing still, until Xiumin was inside before he brushed a stray tear and began walking. He had never thought Xiumin would be so cold, so angry.

The large kitchen table was filled with pots and plates and serving dishes. Pitchers of fruit punch were circulated. Xiumin was squeezed in between Luhan and Lay. Suho looked around for a place to sit, hoping one would be open near Xiumin so they could work out their problem. The only available chair was at the far end of the table next to Chanyeol.

Lunch passed by in a blur for Suho. The little bit of food he helped himself to had been pushed around until the meat and gravy – covered potatoes and vegetables were one mushy lump on his plate.

“Anyone up for another game?” Kris inquired. Lay, Tao, Sehun, Baekhyun, and Chanyeol followed Kris to the backyard.

“Hey, Xiumin, we need a fifth,” Lay called back. The oldest member merely shook his head and stared at Suho for a brief second. He pushed back his chair and bowed to his manager, thanking him for lunch.

“I’m gonna head out,” he told him, loud enough for Suho to hear. “There’s some stuff to get done at my home. Cleaning, laundry, that sort of thing.”

Manager hyung turned and patted Xiumin’s head before pulling the member into a hug. He let him go and moved to Suho. The young leader was on his feet with Manager hyung tightly hugging him as well. “It was good of you guys to come,” he told them happily. “You have no idea how happy it makes me to have you guys visit me. I’ll see you soon.” He smoothed back a lock of hair from Suho’s forehead before ruffling his hair.

“Umm, yeah, thank you for lunch,” Suho murmured. He hadn’t realized he too would be leaving, but he followed Xiumin out the building. He tried to walk faster, scowling at him as he decided to run back to their hotel. Suho waited until he was at least ten feet away from Xiumin before running to the hotel. Panting, he made it to Xiumin’s room on the third floor. Slowly, he walked towards it and hesitantly knocked on his door.

After a minute of knocking, Xiumin sighed heavily and said, “Come in.” Suho pushed open the door just enough to squeeze in before shutting it again. He was reclined on his bed, a pillow over his face. Suho approached the bed slowly, sitting far enough away so as to not startle him should he remove his pillow.

“I’m sorry, Xiumin,” he said with a small voice,

The pillow came off and he glared at Suho. “Forget it. Guess this wasn’t a date either, huh?” he asked sardonically.

“I wasn’t drunk this time,” he admitted, focused on his entwined hands. “I wanted to see what it would be like to kiss you, and playing drunk seemed like a good excuse.” He rose from the bed and was about to himself out of the room when he turned back. “And no, Xiumin, this was definitely not a date.” The door closed and Xiumin was left to ponder his thoughts.

What was he thinking?!