The First Time

Six

Six

 

The First Time

 

The dorm was alive with excitement and laughter. The room was illuminated with fairy lights and fireworks as EXO and their closest friends celebrated the marriage of their manager. He and his bride danced excitedly as more and more liquor flowed. The revelry continued late into the night, long after Kris, Xiumin, Suho and Lay retired to bed.

 

Sehun stationed himself next to the buffet table with a small tumbler of wine in hand. He wasn’t sure if it was the amount of alcohol he has consumed or the lack of sleep, but he could have have sworn he saw the tablecloth of a vacant table move. He shook his head to clear his vision, but the fabric rustled again. It was a cool, clear night with no breeze. His curiosity was piqued, so he moved closer to the abandoned table.

 

“Sehunnie, you should try the crab puffs!” Tao called from across the room. A large, toothy smile graced his face before a crab puff was shoved into his mouth by D.O.

 

“No thanks! I’m a bit full.” Sehun declined politely and took a seat at the empty table. The movement stopped as soon as he sat down.

 

Someone must have been under there. Sehun smirked at the thought of breaking up a couple of guests’ under – the – table activities. Bored with waiting for them to emerge, Sehun pulled up the table cloth to reveal a very red – faced Luhan.

 

“Um, hi,” he said quietly.

 

“What are you doing under the table?” Sehun inquired, one eyebrow raised.

 

The color of his cheeks rose. “Hiding. Would you mind?” he asked, indicating that he wanted him to lower the cloth.

 

His eyes darted around the crowd as he made sure no one was watching. Then he slipped under the table to join his embarrassed friend. His sanctuary one again restored, Luhan allowed a small smile to pull at his lips. “Who are you hiding from?”

 

Luhan would not allow his eyes to meet Sehun. “Kai,” he mumbled. Silence permeated their small space as the seconds ticked by. Sehun wasn’t pushing for any further explanation, though, deep down, they both knew he wanted one. Eventually, Luhan realized he deserved it. “Ever since EXO-K and EXO-M joined forces, he’s been sort of insufferable. Every time we’re around each other, he tries to kiss me. I just… I’m not sure if I share his feelings.”

 

“Has someone stolen your romantic attentions?” Sehun joked, nudging Luhan with his elbow. Luhan shook his head adamantly. “The hyung I know wouldn’t hide under a table from an admirer.”

 

“I’ve done it before,” he argued. “Tao, Idol Star Olympics 2012, on the field.”

 

The rainbow haired maknae laughed. “Now that’s the hyung I know.” For the first time, possibly all evening, Luhan laughed. They sat under that table and talked for a while. They discussed everything from their favorite books and songs to the joke shop and Luhan’s plan for the future. His hand rested on Sehun’s knee as they laughed loudly when someone exposed their hiding place.

 

“What is going on?” Kai demanded.

 

Quickly, Luhan pulled his hand away from Sehun and let them drop onto his lap. Sehun shot him a reassuring smile before shrugging. He moved to his hands and knees and crawled out into the open air before drawing himself up to his full height. “Come play soccer with me, hyung.” He suggested when he too emerged. His hand caught a hold of hers before Kai could pull Luhan away.

 

“Hyung,” Kai said, his eyes pleading.

 

“I haven’t played soccer with Sehun yet,” he explained. Kai’s face reddened. “It’s just for fun.”

 

Sehun was pulling him downstairs and onto the field before Kai could reply. A slow song played upstairs as Sehun and Luhan started to play. When the ball was out of reach from the both, they ran towards it and wrestled each other to the ground, laughing.

 

“So, I take it you don’t have feelings for Kai?” Sehun whispered softly into Luhan’s ear. Both were still panting and sweating.

 

Luhan shrugged, his hair disheveled from their wrestling match. “He’s like my brother,” he panted. The song playing above them had ended was replaced by their Growl song.

 

“Um, mind getting off me?” Luhan said. Sehun blushed and pulled himself away from Luhan. Both went back upstairs.

 

“You and Sehun looked awfully cozy,” Kai spat as they passed by. “I wasn’t even aware that you were so close. When did that happen?”

 

Luhan whirled around, his hair becoming more disheveled than before. “Since this group started, I’d wager, when he walked me to my first rehearsal dance because I couldn’t find it. I’ve spent every summer and most every break with you guys for the better part of the last two years. Sehun and I have managed to become friends in that time.”

 

“The way he was holding you seemed more than friendly if you ask me,” he retorted, his voice angrily low.

 

A small guffaw escaped Luhan’s lips. “I don’t recall asking you.” He began to walk away again until Kai caught hold of his wrist.

 

“Wait, hyung, I’m sorry.” He relented. “I just thought you were my date.”

 

He took a step back, wrenching his arm out of his grip. “Then you should’ve asked me.”

 

Kai stood there, watching Baekhyun pull Luhan inside his room with Chanyeol. He didn’t notice Sehun standing beside him.

 

“Piss off,” was all Kai grumbled before making his way back to his room. Sehun watched to make sure Kai went to sleep before slipping inside BaekYeol’s room.

 

He poked his head inside and saw Luhan lying on Chanyeol’s bed with his hair still disheveled. He sat beside him and rested his hands on lap. Luhan saw him and sat up, looking at his friend in astonishment. “What are you doing here?”

 

Sehun placed his arm around Luhan’s shoulder. “Wanted to make sure you were okay. Kai was a bit out of line.”

 

Luhan the bedside lamp and extinguished his phone before lying back down. “I have to tell him,” he said with a sigh, motioning Sehun to lie beside him. “Whatever Kai and I were, it’s over now, I guess.”

 

Sehun nodded. His neat hair being ruined by Chanyeol’s bed. “Probably better that way,” he agreed before  sitting back up. “Come on, I’ll lead you back to our room.” He stood, and pulled Luhan with him but stopped momentarily to peck Luhan’s lips.

 

Luhan blushed. He stood up and grabbed his phone before calling out for Baekhyun. “Baek! Tell Chan I lied on his bed. Night!” Baekhyun must’ve been in the shower since they heard the water stop. “Night!”

 

Both left and saw Chanyeol outside the door. Chanyeol smiled and walked in before closing the door behind him. “Night, Sehunnie! Night, Luhan hyung!” Leaving the couple star-strucked.

 

Inside, Chanyeol chuckled before setting the recorder down on his bedside while Baekhyun stepped out of the bathroom, wearing only a towel. Baekhyun smirked as Chanyeol winked at him.

 

“Did you record it?” Baekhyun asked. Chanyeol smiled.

 

“Oh yeah…” Their prank for the future will work perfectly on their friends’ birthdays.

 

Luhan and Sehun’s walk to their room was quiet. Once they reached their destination, both headed for their bed, not noticing D.O. shaking his head.

 

“I heard Kai is still mad.” Luhan looked up while Sehun nodded the pillow he currently buried his head in.

 

D.O. sighed. “I better calm him down. Better get some sleep.” He called out and left the room in search for Kai.

 

“Sehun?” Luhan called. He was answered by a muffled ‘yes’.

 

“Thank you for everything tonight.” Luhan said with a smile. Sehun’s head slowly moved up and he smiled.

 

“So, the way I look at it,” he said, turning his head to face Luhan, “you accepted my offer, but rejected Kai’s. Guess that means you were my date.”

 

Luhan laughed, shaking his head at the maknae’s joke. “It wasn’t a date, Sehun. Good night.”

 

Once more, Sehun smiled looking at his hyung’s sleeping form before sleep overtook him.