The Second Time

Six

Six

 

The Second Time

 

It was a clear summer day and there was a lull at the joke shop run by Chanyeol and Baekhyun. Chanyeol stood up in the doorway watching men and women stroll through the mall. One particular person caught his eye as he stared at a display in a nearby shop window. The first thing he noticed was the mane of red-colored hair covered by a WOLF cap.

“Baek!” he called out across the walkway. The redhead turned around to find the caller, and smiled when he saw Chanyeol looking at him. He waved before making his way to the joke shop. “Business is a bit slow. Want to get lunch?”

“Sure,” he agreed. Chanyeol stepped out, closing the door behind him, they walked to the Korean restaurant they always went to, watching people move around them. The pub was crowded and noisy, the smells of smoke and fragrant dishes filled the air. They moved to the back and took a seat at a small two person table.

After placing their orders, Chanyeol leaned back in his chair, resting his right elbow on the chair back. “Ya know, I’ve been coming here for years, and every time I’m here I always think it can’t get more crowded.”

“And yet, each time, it seems like more people are packed in.” Baekhyun agreed.

Their meals quickly arrived, and the pair ate in silence. It wasn’t until Baekhyun dropped his fork and pushed away his plate that he spoke. “Have you spoken to your girlfriend yet? Ended things?” Apparently, Chanyeol met someone online and they’ve been dating ever since.

He produced a nonchalant shrug. “There was never really anything to end. We were never officially a couple. At least, that’s what I think.” His words took on more anger as he continued speaking. “After all, to be a couple, one must ask the other person to be a couple. And, well, we both know she is not the most adept when it comes to making her feelings for me known.”

Baekhyun leaned forward, resting his arms on the table. He had a strong urge to reach out and take hold of Chanyeol’s hand. Instead, he crossed his arms, tucking his hands near his elbows. He began to wonder when he had developed feelings for Chanyeol that went beyond “EXO’s happy virus”. Now, he was someone he sought out at dinners and parties thrown by mutual friends. He enjoyed the hint of a smile that would appear on his lips when he neared, or the sound of his uninhibited laughter when he told a joke. It didn’t take much to get that reaction out of him anymore; long gone were the days of berating himself for his childish, silly pranks.

“I did talk to her.” He finally admitted, sitting back in his chair. There was an air of defeat around her. “I told her how I felt. About her. About us. And I suggested that we should see other people.”

Baekhyun nodded, precessing his words. The look on his face anticipated his next words, and he was careful to choose them. “I’m sure she didn’t take it well.” Chanyeol shook his head sadly. “But I’m sure that what you did was for the best, for both of you. It’s not easy trying to make something that’s broken work like you want it to. It’s even harder trying to hold onto someone who doesn’t want to be held onto.”

“She wasn’t happy,” he murmured.

A small chuckle came from deep within Baekhyun’s throat. “She’s stubborn, but she’ll come around. You two have been friends for far too long to let it go to waste over something like this.” He dropped some won down on the table and stood. “Ready to go?” Chanyeol nodded, placed his napkin on the table, and joined him.

They walked out into the sunny afternoon with their arms linked. Various topics were discussed as they observed the people around them. They shared stories about their first trips to Myeungdong. As they passed the ice cream parlor, Chanyeol looked back longily but continued to move forward. The smile Baekhyun had come to adore returned to his face when he suggested they go in.

“You realize it’ll be dark by the time we leave, plus, I’ll be taking my day off when we get back,” Chanyeol warned his friend as Baekhyun opened the door for him.

“Yeah I know, after all, I’ve got no place else to be,” he assured him.

It was hours when they emerged from the parlor, Baekhyun’s arms weighed down by Chanyeol’s pints of ice cream. They walked back to the joke shop, passing by Kai who was manning the register. He looked up as Chanyeol and Baekhyun made their way to the back of the shop, a look of relief in his pale eyes. “Sorry, Kai, I’ll be down in a few minutes. Then you can hang out with D.O. Promise,” he told him, flashing a quick smile. He led Chanyeol up to the flat he used to come every now and then.

“Thanks for today,” Chanyeol said to him, taking her books from him.

The redhead shrugged, pushing backs locks of hair. “I had fun,” he told Chanyeol. “I’m glad we ran into each other today.”

“Me too,” they stepped closer to one another and Chanyeol leaned down to Baekhyun’s ear and whispered. “Promise we’ll do this again sometime soon?”

“Definitely,” Baekhyun replied, a smile creeping up his face.

Chanyeol pulled away and took a step back, his eyes trained on the carpet as he felt his cheeks grow warm. “I’ll see you soon, Baek.”

He nodded, watching as Chanyeol stepped out of the joke shop and waved at him. “Hey, Chanyeol?”

He looked up, feeling his cheeks grow warmer. “Yeah?”

“Was this a date?”

Chanyeol held his pints of ice cream in one hand and laughed. “No, Baek, it wasn’t. I’m taking my day off now.” Then, he walked over and gave Baekhyun a sweet peck on the lips and left a pint of chocolate ice cream on the table. He laughed and ran out of the shop before Baekhyun could react.

Baekhyun shook his head and smiled before making his way back down to the shop. Upon seeing Kai, he remembered his promise and called his distressed friend.

“Hey, Kai? You can go now. I’ll take over.” Kai seemed confused, knowing this wasn’t the usual Baekhyun Kai knew before. Seeing this as an opportunity, Kai took the offer and ran off to find Kyungsoo.

Upon reaching half way to his destination, Kai smiled. Looking at the photograph he took minutes ago. Kyungsoo will be happy to see Baekhyun and Chanyeol finally together.