i

Broken Souls
chapterone
The recurring cycles were the best they could have.

The screen was filled with a lot of progressing numbers and variables. The green clashed against the black that filled the entire screen. New numbers appear as fast as they disappeared. The normal human mind might not be able to comprehend all the variables thrown at them, but for the young man this is a routine. His eyes focused on the screen as his fingers typed away on the keyboard furiously. The movement of his fingers was so fluent it looks as if he had invisible strings connecting each and every finger of his to the keyboard.

Jin. That was his name, at least what he's called anyways. His eyes gleamed as he entered the final part of the section. After this, he can bathe in warm water and enjoy a luxurious feast from the government. Maybe. His eyes shifted to the side as he typed the last 10 commands. He finally smiled when he finished, the 3D graphics suddenly popping out of the table next to him. He eyed the structure of the arena carefully, making sure there are no flaws present. He nodded in self-approval and turned around.

The orange sofas were occupied by 2 people, the weird giddy ones among the bunch. When he first came here the old man has definitely stated that most of them were picked not only because of their brains but also their... shifted personalities. Now that they have spent more than a year together he can see the ones who are numb and those who aren't. Yet.

"Where's Namjoon?" He asked to one of the guys. Yoongi turned to look at Jin and smiled twistedly. "He went out with this chick earlier. He won't probably be here until morning."

Jin sighed. This is so typical of Namjoon. Sure, he was appointed the leader of the bunch but he was too irresponsible. It's either him going out with girls or getting drunk in a party at a cheap bar somewhere. Apparently his genius mind doesn't stop him from being too rash.

Yoongi was still there, eyeing Jin's every movement. The guy creeped Jin out a little but everyone knows of Suga's oddities. As long as I get on the good side of him I'll be safe, Jin thought. He quickly masked his fears and turn to Hoseok. Unlike the others, Hoseok is the only one left with humor. He's probably the safest one to be stuck in, in case of life and death situations. The guy wouldn't even hurt a fly, he thought.

"Where's Jimin?" Jin asked. The guy is probably out there with a chick too. Namjoon and Jimin. The players of the facility. Hoseok shrugged and grinned. Yes, he's probably the liveliest among the teens. The boy finally opened his mouth after a minute of grinning. Freak. "Jimin went out with a chick too." He said chirpily, too cheerful for Jin's taste.

A file than hit Hoseok's head. Jin lifted his gaze and saw Jungkook, the youngest yet most capable of all the boys. Jungkook frowned and rolled his eyes. That stuck-up snob. "I called Namjoon and Jimin already. Someone get Taehyung, I need to prep you guys on the experiment." He said, a hint of annoyance in his voice.

"You're not even the leader." Yoongi retorted. A smile formed on Jungkook's flawless face as he looked at Yoongi. "I'm guessing Suga's taking over..." He said in a haunting manner. Yoongi, or Suga as of now, laughed and nonchalantly answered. "Oh please, you know that I and Yoongi are one." Jungkook smiled in response. Yoongi's known to be the one with the split personality. Suga is his ingineous and vicious persona. And that is the reason everyone either fears or takes an interest in him.

The door to the control room than burst open, revealing a smiling Namjoon and a pissed off Jimin. Namjoon whistled as he made his way to the sofas and dropped his body loudly on it. Jimin on the other hand scoffed and grumpily took a seat next to Hoseok. He glared at Namjoon and he got a snicker in response. Jimin almost flew up out of his seat if not for Hoseok holding him back. "Kid. Don't even try." He said, a cold expression replaced his warm smile. Hoseok might be the most sensitive one, but at dire times he could be a vicious killing machine.

Jimin pushed Hoseok's hand away and hesitantly took a seat. The room's atmosphere was heavy and tense. Jungkook smiled at the brief yet tense fight between his 2 colleagues. Words weren't even necessary. It was obvious that something had happened on their way here. Jungkook than coughed to get the room's attention. "Someone go get Taehyung this instant." He said strenly.

"I'm here." A voice said from the corner of the room. Taehyung stepped out of the shadows and smiled. He had been there for 2 straight hours, watching each and every moves of the facility's members. He smiled mockingly at them. "And you still don't trust my skills, eh?". Nobody responded to what he said. It's obvious that Taehyung is indeed one of the more capable ones, but they won't admit it. At least not until Taehyung stops his snobbish and careless acts.

"Just sit down." Jungkook said, irritated. Taehyung shrugged and plopped down next to Jin. Jungkook then surveyed the room carefully, making sure he's getting everyone's attention. Namjoon then motioned for Jungkook to start, waving his hands in the air as a sign. He nodded and started explaining the day's rundown.

"So the experiments are gonna be here at around midnight. We will start putting them in the pods for simulations right away. Hoseok and Jimin, you've got the serum vials stored in the fridge properly, right?". The two nodded and Jungkook proceeded with the explanation. "Namjoon, start the coding and activation process right after I finish the rundown. Remember to add the features we talked about yesterday to the arena. Taehyung, you'd get to pick one of the experiments later to test the other serums. You're also in charge of disciplining experiments. Don't be careless this time." He said, staring hard at the boy. Taehyung grinned. He can't wait to down punishments on the experiments.

"Jin. Your job is to help out Taehyung on disciplining the kids. You'll be working together with him so don't fight, get it?". Jin nodded. Being the oldest, he has the chillest point of view. Even the worst of the other members can be easily managed by him. Taehyung won't be a problem, he thought. "Yoongi. You are getting the privilege of sparring with the kids on the arena. It might take a while before the kids enter the arena, so in the mean time you can help Namjoon add extras to the arena. If necessary of course.

"I myself will be in charge of the whole operation so I'll be helping out everyone whenever I can. That's it for now, you may proceed to your stations and get ready." He said before closing the file and walking out of the room. Namjoon quickly walked towards the big screen and began the next stage of arena programming. Jimin got up and walked out of the room to check on the serum, Hoseok trailing behind him.

Taehyung walked towards the door and stopped a step away. "Hey, Yoongi, Jin. I'm gonna go out and look at the pods, you comin'?" He said, motioning for them to come. The two got up from their seats and walked towards the door. "Namjoon, if you need me just come and look for me where the pods are located." Yoongi said before he left. Namjoon nodded although nobody was there anymore. He kept on typing on the keyboard to complete the arena.

⁞⁝•ֱ̀␣̍•́⁝⁞

"General. It's time for the kids to be brought to the facility. " A voice resonated in the room. The officer gulped as his voice came out shakily. Sweat was rolling down his temple, the General has always scared him despite his extremely young age. The general shifted in his seat and finally turned to face the officer.

He took his file and read the experiments' schedule. "Okay, take them to the van now." The officer bowed and left. The general remained on his seat and tapped on his desk. This is his first project after being promoted to General. And it's a big one, he won't want anybody to ruin it for him.

Standing up, he grabbed his gun and stuffed it in his gun holder. He smirked as he opened the double doors in front of him, making his entrance as grand as possible. A number of officers stood in front of him, waiting for whatever command he will spit out. "Head Officer Youngmin," He said to the officer that had talked to him in the room before, "are the kids inside the van already?".

"Y-Yes." He said. The young man lifted his eyebrows and laughed. "Then it's time for us to go! Someone prep my car won't you?" He said, his loud voice exhoing through the hallways. An old man than stepped up, his personal driver. "The limousine is ready, Mr. Mark." Mark smiled in approval and walked towards the main entrance.

Today is going to be the start of a big project. His big project. He smiled in satisfaction as he entered his luxurious ride. Nothing can stop him from reigning over the country now.

 

AUTHOR'S NOTESIt took me around 2 hours to write this. I hope this satisfies you since I honestly haven't proofread it yet. Do be a darling and comment down below. Thank you for reading!

p.s. Yes, the general is Mark Tuan if you're wondering. If you're a dedicated SM17E you will definitely know who Youngmin is.