Chapter 2

Sea Turtle

Once he was done I fed him his medicine, cleaned the dishes, showered, and went to bed. The next few days we were swimming and looking for a new member. Nagisa, being the only person hyped up about it went to many people to ask if they would like to join. Sadly, they were all declined and we came back emptied handed.
I tried to help find members as well. I told Haru-chan to draw and write that people who join will get to go on one date with me. Obviously, being idiots all the boys came to the lineup and each and every one of us asked them questions. Obviously, all of them except for a few were actually fairly good. Eventually, they all gave up and left. I just sighed and rested my head on Haru-chan’s shoulder thinking of ways to help and recruit more members. All this stress made me fall asleep on his shoulder without realising it.
            I woke up still on Haru-chan’s shoulder and with weight on my head. I took out my phone and took a picture and smiled. I just put my phone away and fell back asleep. When I woke up again, I was sleeping on the bench and all I saw were Haru-chan’s clothes all over the pool side. I got up, stretched, and went to pick up his discarded clothes. I folded them neatly on the bench and took out two towels; one for his head, the other for his body. He recently just gotten over his cold and he already decides to start swimming again. I just smiled and waited with a bottle of water and towels in my hand while watching him swim.
Couple of days past and we got our new member and his name was Rei. Like the rest of the members, his name was also very feminine. He was once part of the track and field team; however he decided to swim instead of jumping. Both Kou and I were the only ones with manly names; Gou and Shiro. What kind of person names their child who is a female Gou and Shiro? This is why we all have nicknames for one another; mine is Shi, Gou is Kou, Nagisa is Nagi, Makoto is Mako, and Haru-chan is Haru.
Most of the time, I don’t know what’s going on in his head. I’m like his caretaker now too. I would always have to dry his hair and make his lunch boxes every day. Not that I am complaining but, it seems unusual is the word for this. However, when I wake up seeing him peacefully sleeping made me smile.
The six of us then went to Samezuka Academy for our joint practice. Me, being bored and wanting to swim with the rest of the guys I participated as well. The way we did it was that we would start with Nagisa, next would be Makoto, Rei, then me, and finally Haru. After he discovered the beauty of swimming he decided to give it his all and swim with us and joined the swimming team.
When it was Rei’s turn to do his laps he refused to go in the water. When he went to dive in the water he almost drowned and that’s when we discovered that Rei couldn’t swim. Rei just sat in the corner away from the pool as possible and waited for both Haru and I to go. I went first before Haru and according to Nagisa and Makoto, Rei decided to work extra hard to learn how to swim after seeing so much beauty within both mine and Haru’s diving. When we got back we decided to give Rei lessons on swimming and he excitedly accepted the challenge.
Day one; Nagisa tried teaching Rei . First, they tried him just doing the arm movements before making him do it all by himself. Once he tried it on his own we thought that he was capable of swimming but he didn’t move from the spot. Instead he would just be swimming on the spot and would swim until he would sink and jump out of the water due to lack of oxygen. He then quit doing and the lesson was over for the day.
Day two; it was Makoto’s turn to teach Rei and since Makoto’s specialty is back he decided to teach Rei back . He first held onto his arms so he got used to using his legs and then he let go seeing that Rei could do it without his help. Unfortunately, Rei just sank to the bottom of the pool and was unable to do back and stayed there until he ran out of air. After Makoto gave up on helping Rei, we ended that lesson and practice.
Day three; we were all thinking of ideas to help Rei learn how to swim in a meeting Gou set up. Then, Rei got a crazy outburst saying that he needs a coach and such. We went to order pizza to decide to treat our old coach and bribe him into teaching Rei.
Me: Ah moshi, moshi? Yes is this Pizza boy? We would like to order a pizza. Will Sasabe-san be delivering today? Yes? Ah, thank you; eh? Nothing, nothing thanks you very much.
Sasabe-san came and delivered our pizza. He sat down with us and we all talked. He told us that we should teach him instead of him and left. We all decided that tomorrow we were all going to go shopping with Rei to get prescription goggles, a proper swim suit that fits him and makes him feel comfortable, and a swimming hat to prevent water from going into his ears.