Chapter 1

Sea Turtle

            I am currently attending Iwatobi High school with my best friends Haruka Nanase and Makoto Tachibana. Me? Sorry I forgot to introduce myself I’m Shiro Takashima; I met Haru in preschool where he would always stare at the water in the sink and in the fish tank. Currently, we are both living the same life; our parents were barely even home and we only have ourselves. So we both decided to live together for safety reasons. Both Haruka and I were pretty close as you can say. We barely talked but we could read each other’s minds and predict what we are thinking. Because we don’t have parents in our house I was the one that was always making the lunch and he would always make the dinner but, we both take turns to make breakfast. Makoto would come over to check on us every now and then before and after school which I welcomed him every time he came because Haruka was sitting himself in the bath tub and decided not to get the door. We all had one thing in common and that is we all love to swim. Even though Haruka gave up on competitive swimming, we as in Makoto, Nagisa, Haru, and I love to swim.
            All three of us; Me, Haru, and Makoto were walking to school. People were staring at all of us, for some reason and we just continued walking like it was nothing and changed into our shoes. When I opened my shoe locker it was full of letters either it was hate or either it was love. I took all my letters and put them all on the side of my shoe locker neatly. I changed into my shoes and closed my locker and walked to class with Makoto and Haru.
            Class went by like a breeze. Despite the fact that I was never interested in class and how I would always draw in class whenever I thought it was boring, I always ended up in the same class as Haru.
            When it was lunch time, Makoto, Haru, and I walked to the roof top to eat lunch, until we bumped into a familiar blonde headed shorty and apparently the blonde headed shorty was Nagisa. We were all surprised to see Nagisa coming to Iwatobi after all these years. We quickly went to the rooftops to sit down and talk. And that’s when I handed Haru his lunch but today for some reason he decided that he wanted someone to feed him so both Makoto and I just took turns feeding him. When we were stuffing his face with food he made a weird face which I got a photo of; it was pretty cute and I sent it back to him with a smiley face and some cute bows on his photo. Haru just gave me a look while I just smiled back at him.
            Nagisa: Do you both happen to be dating?
            Both Haru and I looked at each other and I started to giggle. Once I stopped giggling I explained to them that we were just friends and that we just happen to think alike and live under the same roof.  And Haru just nodded in agreement.
            Couple of days have passed and Nagisa, Makoto, and Haru decided to create a swimming team. Both Kou and I volunteered to help and join the team. Unlike Haruka, I wasn’t always thinking about swimming; however, when I am I would already be swimming with not only Haru but with Makoto and Nagisa. After all the garden work we had to do to fix the outdoor pool with the help of Kou and the supervision of our sensei we finished it. We all had to pull out weeds, repaint the pool, add relay lines, fix the tiles, repaint the fences, clean and repaint the diving boards. Once we added water to it both Haru and I took off all our clothes and dived in the pool in our swim suits. Haruka was a dolphin and I was a turtle; that was when Nagisa thought it was easier just to call me Umi Kame but then I told him that it would be easier to just call him Pengin instead of Nagisa and we both just laughed.
            After that, Haru caught a cold from swimming in the pool when the water is still cold. I was stuck taking care of him because, I lived with him, Makoto and Nagisa didn’t want to take care of him and catch his cold, and because I’m apparently the only one who can understand and deal with Haru. So, I went over to Haru and told him to go back to his room and put on a sweater so his cold doesn’t get any worse and while he does that I go look for medicine for his cold. He came back downstairs and I couldn’t find any medicine for his cold even though I was sure that I bought a brand new bottle of medicine for his cold. I turned to him and asked him,
            Me: Oi, Haru! Where’s the new bottle of medicine I bought yesterday for your cold?
            He just looked at me and looked away. I just walked past him and ran to his room to look for it. He ran after me, hoping that I won’t find it; unfortunately, I found it and it was in his swim wear drawer. I just looked at him and forced him to sit on his bed even though he insisted on getting up and running out of the house. I got him a glass of water, a spoon, and his favourite food, mackerel made by yours truly in his favourite dish. I came back just as he was about to leave the room; I pushed him back into his room and make him sit on his bed.
            Me: Haru, hurry up and eat so I can give you your medicine. If you take your medicine you can get better quicker and that means you can swim and take baths again. But, since you don’t want to eat then that means no swimming, no baths, and you will forever have to stay in bed.
            He looks at me and then the food and then back at me. I sighed and took the spoon from his hand. I scooped up some rice and fed it to him. He mumbles something and continues eating. I don’t bother asking him about what he just said and continues feeding him.