Chapter 8

Into the Dark Night
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

A/N: I’m starting to wonder if I bit off more than I could chew with this fic. It’s my first after all, and I feel like I’m doing everything wrong. /honestly

 

 

Into the Dark Night

Chapter 8

 

 

 

 

Thick leather boots splashed mercilessly against the puddles that surrounded the streets. The day was as dark as any other, gray clouds blanketing the warmth of the blue above it and the sky crying with its people.

Kibum rolled his shoulders, letting them crack once, twice, as he stepped through the city’s main gates.

“Finally.” He regarded the depressing atmosphere for a moment before throwing a look over his shoulder, “Hey fatass. We’re here.”

Shindong dragged his feet, not caring about the mud that stained his boots. “Yeah, well it’s about time. I’m starved!”

It was probably about the hundredth time (he’s not sure, he stopped counting at thirty) Kibum heard that from his plump partner, and he would’ve imploded if they hadn’t finally arrived at their destination.

But no, they’ve made it to the city and Kibum was determined not to let his effort (and patience) go to waste.

He smirked, just about ready for anything.

- - -

 

 

Jaejoong’s eyes flashed dangerously at the man before him, the lightning bouncing off his radiant orbs. His hands were tied tightly behind him and ankles on the two front legs of his chair.

“Relax, man.” Junhyung felt weird calling him that, not used to Jaejoong’s…appearance just yet. He eyed him for another while; contemplating how he looked more feminine than masculine, before shuddering away at the Lumiciant’s cold stare. “Geez. If looks could kill…”

“Why did you bring me here?” Jaejoong bit out, every word sounding like venom.

“Why? You look like a smart fellow. Try figuring it out yourself.” Yunho replied evenly, his eyes not leaving Jaejoong’s for a second.

In all honesty, this both frustrated and interested him. He’d gotten used to having it as a weapon, being avoided by the mundane, their eyes being directed elsewhere if he stared at them for more than five seconds. They felt inferior. They hated how looking at him made them feel worse about themselves.

But this guy—this guy was different, the complete opposite. Ever since Yunho had found him in the reserve, his eyes haven’t left Jaejoong. Almost as if he were memorizing every single detail about him. As if he were some kind of prize his mommy had been hiding in the cupboard too high for him to reach.

He’d even forced Junhyung to drive them back to headquarters so he could stare at him more, even let the smaller Lumiciant scurry away, only paying the boy (What was his name? Ryeowook?) a single glance.

Jaejoong was frustrated with how he couldn’t make Yunho look away. But he was more frustrated with the fact that he couldn’t do it either.

Yunho certainly wasn’t difficult to look at. He had to admit, this was about as handsome humans could get.

“Look, I’m not telling you anything.” He glared, “Just let me go.”

“Not until I show Lord Youngwoon what I’ve found.”

Yunho grinned cheekily at him, and Jaejoong couldn’t help but think it was sort-of-kind-of-just-a-little…cute.

He growled nonetheless.

 

 

It wasn’t long until Kangin decided to grace them with his presence, large doors flying open and hitting the wall with a bang in the process. He stomped his way to his desk, all three pairs of eyes staring at him widely.

But what made them stare wasn’t the way Kangin seemed to fidget every minute, but the person, or rather Lumiciant that followed elegantly behind him.

Jaejoong was the first to recover.

“Yoona?” he whispered.

She looked about as shocked as he was, her eyebrows shooting up and lips parting slightly. She took a moment to compose herself before putting back on her mask of indifference.

Junhyung wolf whistled as his eyes roamed the female, earning an elbow to the side from Yunho.

“Ow.” He muttered.

“Well, what do we have here?” Kangin’s voice boomed across the room. “I didn’t think you’d actually be able to bring one back, Yunho.”

So his name is Yunho.Jaejoong mentally took note of the name, then cursed inwardly at himself for doing so.

“You underestimate my skills, my Lord.”

“I take it Hangeng is in the dark about this?”

“Oh, I’m sure he knows.” Or will know. Yunho smiled innocently.

Kangin scoffed at that, waving his hand in dismissal before sitting down in front of Jaejoong.

“Look here, pretty boy. I’m not a very patient man so I’ll get straight to the point. Where is the Solis?”

But Jaejoong paid the Lord no attention, eyeing Yoona who shifted under his gaze. He scrutinized her, trying to make sense of her presence in the very palace they’d feared when they were both young. His eyes travelled down her arms, checking for wounds to see if she’d been forced here, or she was being experimented on. Finding nothing, he looked back at her face. She didn’t seem miserable either.

“Why are you here?” he asked, succeeding in making his tone level.

It took a while for Kangin to realize that Jaejoong wasn’t speaking to him. He blinked and looked over his shoulder at Yoona who suddenly decided the floor was extremely interesting; back to Jaejoong then back to her again. He narrowed his eyes.

“Listen to me, you rat.” Yunho frowned at Kangin’s choice of words. Jaejoong didn’t look like a rat. “Where is the Solis?” he almost shouted.

Jaejoong sighed in exasperation at the human’s noise, and finally looked at Kangin. “I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“Don’t play dumb with me. Tell me where it is now.”

“Don’t play dumb with me either. I don’t know where our Solis is,” he felt like shouting too, “you should, though. After all, your men took him.”

Both Yunho and Junhyung were startled with the tone he used with their Lord Youngwoon. After all, he was known for flaring his temper at petty things, most especially at things like respect.

But Kangin only (visibly) winced at his words and shifted in his seat, failing miserably at masking his emotions. He was like an open book, and Jaejoong was reading every word.

“The kid.” He cleared his throat, “I meant the kid.”

So he knows where he is.

“Oh, but the ‘kid’ isn’t our Solis.” Not yet. Jaejoong smirked, “Leeteuk hyung is.”

As soon as the name passed through his lips, Kangin tensed even more.

He cleared his throat, “I don’t know where you’re getting at. This Leeteuk of yours is none of my concern.”

Jaejoong raised an eyebrow, “Oh, but he is of mine.” His voice rose, slowly gaining confidence, “So give me back our Solis, then I’ll show you where the kid is.”

Kangin balled his fists under the table, his eyes narrowing even further.

“I’m the one making deals around here.”

Yunho and Junhyung exchanged glances, both finding their Lord Youngwoon’s behavior peculiar. He should’ve exploded by now.

Jaejoong leaned back in his chair, challenging. “Then there’s no way in hell I’m going to tell you.”

Kangin stared him down. “I don’t like this one.” He was looking at Jaejoong, but directed his words at Yunho. “Take him away. Get me another one. Better yet, where’s Zhoumi? Zhoumi!”

With that, he stomped his way to the door, “Come, Yoona.” He muttered. She obediently followed and with one last look at Jaejoong, she closed the door with a resounding click.

The room was quiet except for the knocking of the rain as the three tried to absorb what just happened.

Jaejoong pressed his palms to his forehead, the gesture feeling odd since his wrists were tied up. He sighed dejectedly, “What’s my sister doing here with that monster?” He didn’t know what to think anymore, but could only hope that at least Ryeowook was able to escape safely.

Yunho, on the other hand, had never seen someone so beautiful look so…tired. He unconsciously took a step toward Jaejoong, wanting to make him angry or frustrated or bring back the dagger in his eyes; anything was better than the despair he saw in them now.

“Your sister?” Junhyung said incredulously, “Well, this is fucked up.”

Yunho elbowed him roughly. Again.

“Can you at least hit the other side?!”

- -

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter