Chapter 7

Into the Dark Night
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

A/N: Did I just update? I’m surprised too. It's been so long I had to go through it again, and it's a mystery to me how you guys read this. :)) Anyway, my mom threw away the paper where I write down my storyline. FML. 

 

Into the Dark Night

Chapter 7

 

 

 

 

Jaejoong honestly thought it wouldn’t be this easy. He’d prepared himself for heavy security—padlocks, cameras, eye-scanning devices, the works. He steeled his nerves before creeping into the dark halls of the reserve with footsteps so quiet only those of his kind could manage. But after a few uneventful turns at corners where he thought he’d have to fight with a throng of armed guards, unguarded cameras, and easily inactivated laser mazes, Jaejoong got tired of holding his breath and just breezed through the place.

Albeit a bit suspicious as to where all the guards were if not guarding the King’s stash of Lumici, he prodded on determined to achieve what he set out for. It had not been an easy task getting into the reserve; it was troublesome just locating it.

Fortunately, his encounter with Kyuhyun and Sungmin helped him get here quicker than planned. They bickered in between giving directions, but hey, who was he to complain?

He still had no idea where Heechul was, but at least he knew Donghae was in safe hands—with this, Jaejoong could breathe a bit easier.

He passed several identical doors, not sparing a single glance at security cameras (he’d disabled them earlier on as well), when he reached a ward that contained rows and rows of small beds behind a thick clear glass. There was a table on his left that sparkled with every kind of surgical tool he could recognize.

The place eerily resembled those nurseries in hospitals where newborn babies were placed, and when Jaejoong thought of the irony of it all, he gathered his fingers into a trembling fist. He resisted the urge to punch a hole through the damn glass and get every single baby out of there. He could only imagine the kinds of testing and experiments they do to them, his kind—his family.

With one last look and a whispered promise to return, he drew a shaky breath and continued his search.

The halls were dark and eerie, but somewhere in the maze, Jaejoong could hear soft muffled sobs. He went toward the sound, only to be led to a door tucked away in a corner. He hoped he’d finally found him.

He twisted the knob, and opened the door to find someone he least expected.

“Ryeowook?”

- - -

 

After several minutes of patting and consoling silent pleas of ‘I’m scared, it hurts, take me away from here’, Ryeowook finally found the strength to pull away from Jaejoong’s embrace and look him in the eyes without breaking down.

“Hyung…”

“Ryeowook,” the older spoke up, “what happened? How did you get here? I thought you were…I thought you all were…”

“W-we escaped, hyung. Thanks to Minho, we were able to get out b-before the mundane troops...” he trailed off.

Jaejoong felt as if a whole world’s burden was lifted off his shoulders. They’re alive. Everyone is alive.

He enveloped Ryeowook in a bone-crushing hug, as if to reassure himself that the younger Lumiciant was really there. He felt tears prickle the corners of his eyes.

“But…not all of us…”

Jaejoong listened with wide eyes as Ryeowook explained how their small group was able to sneak out during the attack and how they were now hiding deep in the city, where the humans would least think of looking for them. But he was caught one day while trying to stock up on food, experimented on for God knows how much.

He took a moment to absorb all that the younger was telling him. He hadn’t even the strength to ask the boy who were able to escape; afraid of not hearing names he wished to hear. But there was a certain person’s safety he must guarantee, as both his friend and his duty as a Lumiciant.

“Ryeowook, what happened to Leeteuk?” He looked at him gravely, “where is our Solis?”

At this, Ryeowook burst into tears once more.

“We don’t know, hyung!” He tried to calm himself, but his hands continued to tremble, “w-when we got to his room, he was gone! We checked everywhere! They stole him, hyung! They stole him!” he sobbed loudly.

Jaejoong sighed and massaged his temples.

“We’re terrible! We escaped but we weren’t even able to s-save our Solis!” Ryeowook wailed. “I’m so sorry, Leeteuk hyung! I’m so sorry I couldn’t protect you!” His cries echoed loudly in the small room.

Wait, echo?

 “Ryeowook, where are all the guards? Why is it so quiet today?”

“H-huh?” The boy gingerly wiped his eyes, “I don’t know, we’re usually very guarded…”

Now, this was strange. Jaejoong was positive that Youngwoon would never leave his precious stash of Lumici unprotected. Something’s not right.

“Regardless, we need to get you out of here while we still can.” He faced his back toward Ryeowook so that he could ride it.

“Hyung—“

“Don’t complain. You’re weak and we must move fast.”

With a pout, he climbed on and Jaejoong sped out of the room, “Ryeowook, have you tried looking for him here in the reserve?”

“N-no, I was always locked up…”

With a determined nod, Jaejoong was about to run faster but abruptly stopped as he heard footsteps and voices come their way. He quickly let Ryeowook down and went in the nearest door, cursing as their skin glowed faintly in the dark.

“What’s wrong, hyung? I thought I heard voices.”

“Ssh!” Jaejoong clamped a hand over Ryewook’s mouth and watched the humans through a creak in the door.

“You do know that we’re going to be in so much trouble.”

“Quit being such a sour puss, Junhyung.”

“I’m not being a sour puss, I’m just stating facts. Besides, I won’t be the one slaughtered by Hangeng hyung. He clearly told you to stay home.”

“And waste this opportunity? The reserve is practically empty!”

“Because you lied to them.”

“I didn’t lie, I was simply relaying information. Lord Youngwoon did say he wanted everyone in search for that kid. Surely, the guards here shouldn’t feel l

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter