Chapter Two

Contagion: White Eyes [STORY DISCONTINUED]

BANG! BANG! BANG!

Your eyes shot wide open. Turning your head back, you saw a tall figure reaching out to you. You smiled widely and took his hand.

"And you're supposed to be the older one?" he says with a smug face.

"Shut up Kai," You roll your eyes. "now get me out of this hell hole."

He pulls you up with a strong tug, shooting down other walkers with his free hand. You stand up and begin to sprint, Kai following suit. It wasn't long before they arrived at the zone gate. You panted loudly before hiding and securing behind the metal gate.

"YAH!! WALKERS!" Kai shouted. 

A loud buzz concealed the groans of the nearby walkers. The gates were on. You sighed in relief and fell to the floor panting.

"10. Jinhee," He smirks. "I win."

You look at him, slightly confused and then suddenly realized. Rolling your eyes and standing up, you brush off the dust on your pants. You look at him, pressing your lips together, creating a thin line.

"Proof?" you say.

He shows you a number of tiles an you start counting in twos. You laugh before pointing out it was only 8.

"What are you on about?" he says cockily before slapping down two extra tiles on your hands, looking at you with a smirk.

You glared at him before mouthing something obscene and start walking back to the house. Night has fallen. The sound of a soft wind whispered in your ear, calling you home -- or to what's left of it. Walking by, you swung your head around looking at the people, their faces crestfallen and their limbs dying for nutrition. You let out a soft sigh, always wishing there was a way you could give back to them. It always looked like they needed support the most. It was deathly quiet, apart from the wail of an infant echoing somewhere in the distance. The peculiar smell of moss and mold spread across the entire city, blanketing over the scent of blood spilled not so long ago. Walking side by side, you and your brother looked at each other not wanting to know whose blood it was.

"I really don't like the life we're living Kai..."

"Neither do I Jinni... But it's something we have to go through inevitably now..."

"I know but... Well..." you trailed off, looking down.

"If this is about Kimmi, then I understand. I do want her future to be a whole lot brighter than it currently is now. The only thing we can do to help is protect her..." he says softly, giving a glance at you.

You nod quietly, kicking a pebble out of the way.

"Hey Kai...?" you mutter, just enough for him to pick up.

"Yeah?"

"The walkers... It doesn't take them weeks. Not anymore, it's only just a day or even mere hours before they turn." you say before entering the apartment building.

"What?" he locks his vision to you.

"It's going to be harder to protect everyone. They're turning faster now Kai."

He freezes.

"So what about our escape plan?"

"We'll discuss it with everybody else."

~{oOo}~

There wasn't any time for discussions as soon as you arrived home. The night had grown darker and the sound of chirping crickets resonated across the dimly lit hallway you walked across. Rows of barricaded and locked doors lined the peeling walls, giving off an aura of helplessness across the vicinity. You held on the hand of a girl younger than you and smiled softly. Her eyes slowly drooping down as she rubs them, yawning quietly. She laces her fingers onto yours as she slowly walks by your side, sleepily looking left and right at each closed door. You look at her, she slowly droops off to dreamland with each step you take. You softly chuckle and arrive at the end of the hallway, stepping in front of the door. Before you place your hand on the knob, a wash of light floods your vision and someone stands in front of you. The girl yawns again and hugs the person in front of her, immediately falling asleep within the person's grasp.

"Thanks." he said. "She was really worried about the both of you and waited until you came back... Must have tired her out."

"Ah really?" you chuckled.

"Yeah, Kimmi isn't getting too much sleep since she's constantly worrying about you two."

"We're fine uncle... She shouldn't be worried, Kai and I are probably worrying about her more than she knows."

Your uncle smiles and lets you in before carrying the sleeping Kimmi to their room. 

"Oh, and thanks for taking her to the bathroom... Y-you know I'm always busy..." he says softly.

"It's alright uncle. Hey, is that bowie knife you're making nearly done? I wanna see it!"

"Almost Jinhee... Almost." he chuckles and shuts his bedroom door quietly.

You smile softly and walk to the kitchen, opening a few cupboards. You note the five cans of beans, two boxes of canned kimchi and a bottle of water purifying tablets are left. It's not much, but it's all you can receive from the rangers. You think this isn't fair though, survivors only receive two cans of beans or kimchi, 200 g of rice and some purifying tablets. Larger families have to scavenge more or risk their lives finding more ration tiles out of the safe zone while the rangers get around double or triple the amount and they don't even work that hard! Then again, there are still the less fortunate -- the disabled, the younger children, the weaker... The elderly... If they even have survived...

You shake your head, clearing your thoughts and releasing your pent up stress with a long, deep sigh. You kept in mind to swap some tiles with the rangers tomorrow. Walking to your bedroom, you take off your jacket and place it on the side drawer next to the door. You stretch your arms before opening the door silently and walk into the darkness of your room.

"Yah. What took you so long?" Kai mumbles.

"I told you already, I just took Kimmi to the bathroom." you say before slipping yourself under your sleeping bag. "Also, I checked our food. We need to swap some tiles tomorrow."

Kai sighs.

"I know that we just collected them but we don't have much left. Just a box of kimchi, few cans of beans and some tablets. That would probably last for about a day or two..." you explain.

"I know... I know..."

A long pause drawdled between the both of you, making the wind fill in the gaps of silence.

"Hey Jin?" he whispers.

"Hm?"

"You saw that mass of walkers earlier right?"

"Well, I was with you Kai." you roll your eyes and snicker.

"Shush. But if we really put this escape plan as first priority... and anything goes wrong... Don't worry."

"One, how can it go wrong? Two, I will obviously not worry."

"Yes you will. I know you better than yourself. Now shush and go to sleep." he said, hiding a soft smile.

"Whatever."


--Aiyana's little note

Dammit. 1187 words. I'm proud. Anyways I put up a blog post or the master list of notes and characters you might wanna keep track of. I will update it constantly. But anyways, hope you've enjoyed the second chapter and leave a comment down below to tell me any flaws, misspellings or grammar errors in this if you would like~

CLICK ME FOR THE MASTER LIST OF CHARACTERS AND NOTES!