#1 - Playing Nurse

Jisica Oneshots

#1 - Playing Nurse

Plot: Jessica accidently breaks the arm of her high school's beloved soccer captain, and is forced to deal with the horrible punishment it entails. 

Genre: Fluff/ Comedy

Word Count: 3,281


 

Jessica never thought she'd find soccer so important.

In fact, up until that day, she'd thought the sport was stupid and while all of her friends were dedicated supporters to the team, she definitely was not.

The only reason she went to all of the games, really, was the fact that her younger sister, Krystal, was the team manager and Jessica was her only ride home.

She doesn't even like the sport, Jessica thought, eyeing her younger sister from the bleachers. The only reason why she decided to manage the school's team was because she was madly in love with the team's sweeper, Minhyuk, and she said she couldn't handle a minute being away from him. The kind of things she was willing to do just to catch his attention was unimaginable.

But being the supportive big sister she was, Jessica didn't complain. At least out loud, she didn't.

"It's not that bad," her friend, Sunny, told her as they watched a game against some random school. "I mean, the boys aren't hard on the eyes, and we're a pretty good team. If you haven't noticed, we're actually undefeated right now."

Jessica tried not to roll her eyes and be the damp towel she was starting to become. Instead she hummed under her breath and leaned onto her palm, watching blankly as the soccer team practiced their warm up shots.

It was no secret, though, why Sunny really insisted on coming with her to the games. The outside midfielder, Sungmin, was the object of her affection for quite some time now and she thought that if she showed an interest in the sport, he'd think she was "different from the other girls." Sungmin was quite popular with the ladies, so Sunny was even more focused on getting him to like her. 

As her eyes idly trailed across the field, they stopped on one person in particular, making her scrunch her nose in annoyance. Kwon Jiyong.

Kwon Jiyong was currently leading the school's team as their head captain and their leading scorer with what was known as "the money shot." What made him a valuable player was not only his excellent footwork, great ball control, and wildly powerful kick, but he had managed to perfect his goal shots with both legs. At any end of the field, he was virtually unstoppable.

Stoppable, that is, except for one thing.

And that was when it came to Jessica Jung, the so called "girl of his dreams." While he had a naturally playful personality, he always told her that she'd become his girlfriend one day. She didn't know if he was joking or not, but she thought he was irritating regardless. His attempts were shot down constantly. 

To her, Kwon Jiyong was a stain she couldn't remove. Even if she bought herself a new wardrobe, he'd be there, lurking under her skin.

Almost as if he had a radar tuned specifically to her, Jiyong looked up from the ball that he was currently playing with and turned to look straight at her. She instinctively scrunched her nose at him and he winked, blowing her a kiss. It was a long running game they had going on with each other. She'd give him a scowl or a glare, and he'd respond with a kiss or a wink (most of the time both). That was their way of silently communicating with each other. She said, "I hate you," while he said, "I love you."

Jiyong was happy she was even acknowledging him at all.

"Making goo-goo eyes with your husband again?" a voice joked, breaking her intense staring match with Jiyong. She turned around to look at who it was, but she already had a clue.

It was Seungri, Jiyong's best friend and sadly, her second cousin. He was immature and annoying, and just like Jiyong, he never seemed to get the point that she didn't like him hanging around. He was dating one of her friends, Tiffany, however, so seeing him was unavoidable. 

She scoffed. "Hardly. It's kind of impossible to watch a soccer game and not look at the center forward, you know."

Seungri leaned in and connected her line of vision to the team captain himself. "Whatever you say, Jess. We all know you have the hots for him. The connection is obvious."

Her friends nodded in agreeance.

She didn't bother replying, and instead remained silent for the entire game.

 


 

"Krystal, we need to go," Jessica lightly reminded, tapping on the face of her watch. The game had ended ten minutes ago, and mostly everyone was on their way home.

"We'll be late to dinner if we don't hurry up, and you know how mom can get when we're not home on time."

From below the bleachers, she could hear her younger sister's squeaks and groans as she struggled to grab a ball from a wild kick during halftime. It was Minhyuk's favorite one, and she insisted that he'd die if he didn't get it back. Jessica knew Minhyuk didn't really care as much as Krystal said he did, but Krystal seemed adamant on rescuing it for him.  

Krystal peeked her head out and gave Jessica an apologetic frown. "I'm sorry. It'll only take a few minutes. Hey, can you do me a favor? I need you to grab the jerseys next to the benches and put them in the car trunk. I'm in charge of washing them tonight, so that the boys have fresh jerseys for tomorrow's scrimmage."

Jessica inwardly groaned. Gross, sweaty jerseys in her precious car. With a heavy exhale, she told Krystal she would and started walking in the opposite direction. She chucked off her heels and tucked them under her arm, making her way towards the field. 

And being the horribly unlucky person she was, she just had to find the guy she'd been wanting to avoid all day.

Jiyong was next to the goal, juggling a ball on the laces of his shoes, alternating from his left foot to his right. He looked heavily concentrated, but Jessica knew she couldn't sneak past him so easily. He had the instincts of a ninja.

She dropped her heels on the grass beside her and silently walked over to the basket of red jerseys a few feet away. They smelled horrible and she swore she'd pass out if she didn't hurry and get them to the car.

As hard as she tried to suppress a cough, it was useless and she soon burst into a loud fit of half coughing and half gasping for air. Her eyes were brimmed with tears, and that wasn't an overstatement.  

Jiyong, completely startled, swiveled around, almost tripping on his own feet. With his hand clutching his pounding chest, he looked at Jessica with his eyes doubled in size. He looked horrified.

"What the heck are you doing here?"

He paused, mentally slapping himself for coming off so insensitive, then mentally reworded himself. "I mean, you just surprised me. Do you need help?"

Jessica didn't answer, and instead sought refuge in her T-shirt for a whiff of untainted air. She backed away from the cart of jerseys and stopped beside Jiyong where the air was much cleaner and smelled much fresher. For the hardest working man on the team, he didn't smell bad at all. She'd never admit it out loud, but he actually smelled pretty good.   

She bent down, grabbing her knees. That alone had managed to exhaust her, both physically and mentally. "Why do boys smell so bad?"

"Well sorry we don't smell like sunshine and rainbows like you do," Jiyong playfully scoffed. He rubbed her back in slow, soothing circles and being in a state of mental panic, Jessica didn't bother stopping him.

She shot him a glare and he eagerly met it with a devilish smile, biting his lip that way he always did when he got her riled up. He called this move the famous kill shot. He'd broken a lot of hearts with it, but for some reason, it didn't seem to have much of an effect on the one he needed it to. Jessica always told him he looked stupid when he made that face. 

"Listen, Kwon," she said, shrugging off his hand, and pointing her chin toward his shirt, "Krystal really needs your jersey and we're kind of in a hurry. If you could just-"

"I see where this is going," Jiyong interjected, a knowing smile plastered on his face. "You've waited long enough, I admit. You deserve to get a good look of the goods - the 'ole six pack."

Jessica's face scrunched up and her nostrils flared in annoyance. It wasn't a very attractive sight, but it showed her true emotions. Either Jiyong didn't notice, or he didn't show it, but he remained completely unfazed. 

"I'll tell you what," he said, raising an eyebrow. "I'll take off the shirt on one simple condition. Kiss me."

Jessica scoffed, hands firmly on her hips. "I'm not going anywhere near those stupid lips. Take it off yourself, Kwon, and I'm not leaving until you do. You know how seriously Krystal takes her job. Even if you wash it yourself, she'll spend the whole night being worried that you'll forget it just because you're that kind of guy."

"Well then I guess this will be our first night together, under the stars," he said, lifting an excited eyebrow. "Not exactly how I imagined it, but it's romantic. Spontaneous and crazy like us."

Jessica punched his arm, her voice growing more and more irritated. "I'm serious. Take it off!"

"Nope."

"Kwon."

"Not gonna happen."

Now, if anyone knew Jessica well enough, they'd know that getting her irritated when she was pressed for time wasn't a good idea. Especially when it involved getting in trouble with her parents, a relationship she tried to maintain, avoiding getting in trouble as much as possible.

As Jiyong sat in his ivory tower, completely oblivious of the reality of Jessica's rage, he never really got to see what could happen if he pushed her far enough.

This was the time where that all ended.

By now, her teeth were bared and her hands were balled at her sides. "You don't want to push me, Kwon. Take. Off. The. Shirt."

"Or what?" he taunted.

"I'll make you regret it."

Being raised around an older sister, Jiyong was no stranger to girls and their empty threats. He was a stubborn man, and he wasn't so easily going to give up, regardless of how equally stubborn his adversary was. It didn't help that he was also highly competitive.

His mind didn't even have the time to process it when Jessica forcefully pushed him off his feet and onto the ground. However, on the ground, he definitely didn't need help seeing the gravity of the situation. A twisted arm in a horribly unnatural position was just enough to do so.

He screamed from the top of his lungs.

 


 

 "So let me get this straight," Seungri articulated, supressing the urge to scream. "Jiyong gave you his heart, and so you gave him a guaranteed future of failure and broken dreams. Did I get that right?"

Jessica rolled her eyes. "Aren't you being a little overdramatic?"

That was enough to send him toppling over the edge. "Overdramatic?! Overdramatic is breaking his arm because he was trying to flirt with you. You know what, you should have kissed him. He's put up with so much of your teenage snobby sass, and he hasn't once - not once - complained about how quickly you shoot him down without giving him half a chance. He tries so hard to get you to like him and you do this to him! He can't play soccer with a broken arm!"

As Seungri continued on his screaming rampage, Jessica couldn't help but feel a pang of guilt. It wasn't intentional (well maybe it was), but she didn't realize the sacrifices the soccer team would have to make because of the whole incident.

It was Jiyong's fault to begin with. Him and his weird flirting.

"You're fixing this," Seungri screamed, pointing an accusing finger. "I don't care what you do, but you're dealing with this."

And with that, he stormed out, leaving everyone in the hospital's waiting room speechless and completely horrified.

 


 

The next day, Jessica found herself standing in front of somewhere she'd never imagined being in a million years. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, she was standing in front of Kwon Jiyong's bedroom door. Even she couldn't believe it.

At the front door, she contemplated making a run for it, but Seungri's bitter glare from the car across the street told her there was no room for playing games.

This was the real deal. 

With a bottle of pain killers in one hand, and a bowl of soup in the other, she finds herself thinking over all of the choices she's made to lead up to this very moment. She wished she'd invented a time machine just to escape it. 

Sighing for the thousandth time, she tried to knock on the door, and instead found it already open. 

She slowly tiptoed inside, like a timid lamb walking into a lion's den, and held her breath. Being in his room, it was as if she was stripped of all of her armor and her cold exterior was melted down, leaving a scared little girl. She hated that Jiyong had the ability to make her feel like this. Then again, she gave him a broken arm. She should have the upperhand, right?

With more confidence in her steps, she entered his room.

Jiyong looked weak, but he still wore the same Cheshire grin he always did. He was lying down in his bed, reading some comic book. "Well, well, well, if it isn't my lovely bride to be. I miss out on the game of the year, but this is still the best day of my life. I'm a lucky man."

Jessica's eyebrows knit in confusion. While Seungri was boiling over in rage, Jiyong seemed perfectly fine, and he was the so called "victim" in this whole incident. She knew Jiyong was an optimist, but she didn't think to this extent.

"Well, what are you waiting for?" he asks, scooting over on his bed. "Get over here, Jung."

And just like that, he's the same Jiyong she'd known since ever. Broken arm or not, he's still the over confident boy he's always been.

She sat at the edge of his bed and gave him the pain killers his mother said to give him. He grimaced dramatically, but after Jessica used the magic word "please", he took it, albeit with a scowl on his face. 

I'm giving this woman too much power over me, he thought to himself, visibly shuddering. 

"Are you right-handed or left?" She asked while adjusting his pillows. He thought she smelled amazing - like fresh peaches. He took the close proximity to sneak a chance to play with a few loose strands of her hair. She didn't seem to notice. Maybe she did. Either way, she didn't say anything. 

"Right," he answered, flexing his uninjured hand, which unfortunately, was his left. "I can manage somewhat with my left, though. I'll be fine. I'm not the average man, you know."

Jessica gave him a look. It seemed as if he had a never ending supply of lame ego fluffers. The confidence in this man was immeasurable.

"I'm sorry," she said, surprising herself almost more than him. But as she said it, she found she couldn't stop herself. "I know how important the game is to you, and despite how enormous your ego is, you at school, and a soccer scholarship was your way out of this small town. And I kind of ruined it for you. And for that, I'm sorry."

Jiyong only smiled. "Sorry won't make me feel better, but a kiss sure as hell would."

She gaped at him, and beamed a pillow at his face. "I just poured my heart out to you and you still manage to make it into some sort of kissing proposition?!"

Successfully dodging her attack, Jiyong childishly grinned. "Chill, Sica. You don't need to apologize, I know you didn't mean it. You're mean, but not that mean."

"Gee, thanks."

"But that's what I like about you," he said, sitting up with a crooked smile. "You're strong and opinionated, and you don't let anyone else think for you. And, despite how ruggedly handsome and irresistable I am, you manage to look past that and see me for the person I really am. Soccer captain or not, you hate me just as much as you would regardless."

"I don't hate you," she said, stealing a spot next to him. As she put her head on his pillow, she thought it smelled nice - safe. "You get on my nerves more often than anyone else I know, and you have an in-your-face arrogance that bugs me like you wouldn't believe, but I don't hate you."

She her side, and met face to face with a curious Jiyong. Instead of an arrogant look she'd expected, she was surprised to see him smiling, and it wasn't an obnoxious one, either - it was genuine. He was intently listening to her, like what she had to say actually mattered to him.

The two continued to stare into each other's eyes, their small smiles growing into wide grins as the time passed.

Then, he lifted up his hand. He brought it up to her cheek and it ghosted over it, hovering patiently as if waiting for her to grant him permission. His adam's apple bobbed nervously, gauging her reaction.

She nodded with a gentle smile, and he smiled back, his face softening in relief. As his hand carefully cupped her cheek, she was surprised to see how gentle he was, treating her as if she was a delicate flower that could break any second.

Maybe it was the way that he was looking at her, or maybe it was the fact that he'd been waiting so long for it, but with a knowing smile pressed upon her lips, she leaned in and kissed him.

He didn't react by kissing her back with urgency and excitement, like she thought he would. Instead, he kissed her carefully, and lovingly. He started off slowly, savoring the moment, and worked deeper, his lips melting into hers. He tucked a strand of hair behind her ear then trailed his fingers down her neck.

Subconsciously, her hands gripped on the fabric of his shirt, pulling him in closer.

Then, as if she wasn't already surprised enough, he smiled in the kiss. She didn't need to see it to know that he was; she could feel it against her lips, and it made her smile too. He gave her one last kiss and pulled away, staring into her eyes.

"All it took was a broken arm, huh?" He gave her a lopsided smile, wiping her bottom lip with his thumb. "Don't tell me you're getting soft on me, already, Jung."

She smiled back - a genuine one.

Maybe she was. 

 


Author's Notes:

Wow,  I'm finally done with the first oneshot. I had so much fun writing this, and I usually struggle with attempting to write oneshots. This was my first actual completed one and I'm pretty proud with myself!

I missed writing for these two lovebirds.

c: