05

Battle For Survival
noticed an electrified pulse surging in my leg. 
"Where are we?" I asked. 
My eyes finally adjusted to the dim lighting of the compacted room we were in. There were no windows, doors, furniture, nothing. It was just our warmth creating an atmosphere of life and the bike under me; a small crackling fire. 
I straddled off of the bike, aware of keeping my calves distant from the pipes so I wouldn't get burnt. I still faintly remember the time where that happened to me. 
 
"Papa, I'm hungry! Can we eat?" I asked. 
"Yes, Rosy. I just have to run a quick errand and I'll come back, okay? Take care of Logan." 
I saluted him then ran into the house where I was greeted by my sibling's screaming and wailing. 
"Logan, what happened?" I used a more happier tone so it wouldn't provoke him with more fuel to his already present frustration. "Rosy is here." 
He was quite a chubby little baby. I gave him his favorite toy so he would calm down; Mr. Snuffles. A torn up, dirtied, slobbered-on, purple bear. He had an avid mind towards everything, he would toss Mr. Snuffles on the floor then drown in chuckles. I never knew what he thought was that hilarious, that's why I tend to stay distant towards them. I adore them but they also seemed strange. Having their own language, they could communicate with other babies, leaving us out of their cackles and incoherent words. It was almost if they lived in a different world, they glance around the room in wonder, unknowing what any of the objects represented or their use. 
I placed Logan ever-so lightly in the crib after rocking him, singing the lullaby that shut his glossy eyes. His arms were limp with exhaustion and his breathing finally became soother, steadier instead of sharp pants. 
"You're doing such a good job," someone said. It was my father. 
"Dad!" I whispered. "I didn't know you were here." 
He lifted a box from behind him, displaying what it was. It was the pocket knife that he used to cut basically anything. 
"I wanted to give you mine, just in case." He said while handing me the rather bulky knife. It was large in my hands, cold and dangerous like the wind. I handed the knife back to my father. I was afraid I couldn't handle that responsibly and I was young at the time. He went to place it in the kitchen. 
"There's more stuff in the luggage bag on the bike." 
"Okay, I'll get it." 
The bike was right outside of the entry way that lead to the house. I sauntered passed a series of rose bushes, mango trees, and another fruit tree of some type. 
I unlatched the buckles to the luggage, pulling out the plastic bags that contained food. 
What is that? 
Something caught my eyes immediately after closing the lid and latching the buckle on again. A twig stuck where the engine is. My father told me the pipes would burn me but I didn't remember. I reached in to grab it but instead reaching for disaster. The pipes burned blisters into my skin, melting the hairs. 
I screamed for someone's- anyone's- help. 
 
The rest was a blur. 
 
"Here, I found this in my bag," Archer said, snapping me out of my flashback. He handed me an open can of baked beans. I wasn't fond of them but in a situation such as this, I had no other option but to starve, and that was not a valid choice for me. I half of the can down in one shot, I was hungry, what could anyone expect? 
I returned the container back to him so he could finish the rest; it would be selfish to have eaten the entire can. He was surviving with me. He was basically family- by blood- without any connections. We had to stick together through the harsh climate and the strict policies of the government. I hated it. All I desired was to become a doctor so I could treat people and eventually my father, but my life was tossed away. It was all their fault and they knew it. This was all their doing, the killings, the loss of careers, and wealth. They're only wrecking themselves. 
"Hello? Are you trying to ignore me?" Archer said. "I'm still here if you haven't noticed." 
"Yes, I clearly see that. I was thinking how much destruction they caused just to capture a few people." 
"The government doesn't know our way of thinking, they don't understand that we will surpass their knowledge."