Kim Jongin

If I Fall, You're Going Down With Me!

*

KIM JONGIN

*


After slamming the door shut to my Porsche Panamera, I stretched my limbs, sighing in relief at the feeling of finally being out of the car for the first time in two hours. The drive to school from my hometown was always a long one, but now that we were switching to an entirely new campus this year, the drive was about forty minutes longer.

“Woo! We’re finally here, man!” My friend Sehun yelled, as he hopped out of the car and stretched his arms into the air. “Damn, that was a long drive.”

I nodded in agreement, and popped some gum in my mouth to refresh myself. I went around the car to pop the trunk and started pulling out my suitcases; however, the sound of someone flirtatiously whistling made me to stop in my tracks. I looked up at Sehun for a split second only for my eyes to shift a second later towards wherever he was staring.    

I found myself smiling, realizing why he whistled.

Three words:

Females. Miniskirts. Legs.

Two hot chicks passed by us wheeling their own luggage behind them. They both looked our way and smiled and continued on, entering the school campus. 

“Well hello Maecheon girls,” Sehun said more to himself than the girls that were walking away. 

Just perfect, I thought, rolling my eyes. We’d only just entered our new school for about a minute and already Sehun was acting like a ert towards our fellow female schoolmates. 

“Maecheon girls” referred to the girls of Maecheon Academy, the once all-girls school. Two years ago, Maecheon Academy along with the all-boys school (the school I went to) Busan Academy, were in discussion of combining the two schools in order to help out with some debts and helping avoid the closing of any prestigious academies.

My wealthy father, the headmaster of the boy's academy, contributed quite a lot of money to help keep the girls school open by combining the academies. I really don’t really understand why he helped Maecheon Academy since he was never a huge fan of the all-girls school anyway, but I know my mother’s words of persuasion about the girls school had something to do with it.    

Sehun turned towards me, smiling as he came over to join me in dragging our luggage out of the car.

“Dude, I am so ready for this school year to start,” he said, overly giddily.

I just shook my head. My good friend Sehun was already girl crazy enough as it is, but now that our academy was going co-ed, he was probably going to drive himself mad with all these females around.

But then again, I knew Sehun well enough to know I had nothing to worry about; after all, we’d been best friends since we started high school together back in ninth grade. He was girl crazy and quick to fall in love, but he was even quicker to fall out of love. Basically, he left a lot of girls pretty heartbroken. I’m sure that he will have made his way through all the females of our senior class by the end of the school year.   

I closed my trunk and went back to my front seat to grab my phone and wallet when the sound of buses pulling into the parking lot grabbed my attention. I locked my car and went stand next to Sehun. 

“Hey look, the little freshman and sophomores are here,” he spoke in a high-pitched teasing tone as the buses stopped right in front of the academy entrance.

I chuckled at Sehun's comment, while watching the kids half our sizes climb out of the buses. I personally liked to call freshman, "munchkins" because they were always so tiny; I honestly don't remember being that short when I was fourteen.

Apparently, the other kids from our once all-boys academy were finally arriving at our new school. At the start of every school year, the kids who couldn’t drive themselves (the freshman and sophomores) were generally dropped off by the school’s charter buses or were dropped off by their parents; juniors and seniors, on the other hand, generally drove themselves or were chauffeured. 

“Yep, and looks like they're right on time,” I said. I needed a few freshman to boss around help me out anyway.

Grabbing my bags, I started moving towards the campus watching as the kids piled off of the busses.  As they passed me by, they seemed to take notice of me because they all started bowing and greeting me, before continuing on. As a seemingly good sunbae to my hoobaes, I nodded, acknowledging them.

Then, I noticed a few familiar faces of some kids hopping off the bus; they noticed me as well, but before I could say anything they were already walking up to me.   

“Hey, President Kim,” one of the little munchkins, the brunette one, greeted me and bowed. His friend came up and bowed as well and they pulled their things out of the busses storage hole at the bottom. The kid then turned to Sehun and smiled. “Hello Sehun sunbaenim.”

Sehun, standing next to me, smirked at the kids, trying not to laugh. I knew what he was thinking:

Underclassmen were such -ups.

He still greeted them back putting up the façade of a “good and respectful” sunbae like most of the seniors did.  

I smiled at the little munchkins.

Oh yeah, speaking of presidents, had I mentioned that I was voted Senior President for this school year? Well, I was, but it’s not like I was surprised by it.

At my old academy, each grade had its very own student body president. From my freshman year up my senior year, I’d been voted president by whatever class I was in. I knew the major reason I was chosen was because I was the headmaster’s son, but the other reason was because I was actually good at it. 

Because I’d been chosen president for my grade every year, I considered myself the student body president- the one and only. My authority as senior president was something I took pride in. One reason I took pride in it was exactly because of this:

The underclassmen looked up to the seniors in general but had the utmost respect for the president. They always wanted to please you and stay on your good side.

And I made sure to take advantage of that.

“What’s up guys?” I asked them. “How was your summer?”

I actually didn't care about them or their summer but I always had to be aware of my attitude. As president, I knew the importance of having “the people” on your side. Even if I didn’t care for them, I treated them as if I had actual respect for them not only to make them feel important, but to keep them happy so they thought that I “cared”. This is what kept them voting me for president every year.

When you’re a president, and people really like you, you can get them do just about anything you want them to. And that’s what I really cared about.

“Our summer was awesome!” The brown-haired boy exclaimed. “Wasn’t it Joowon-ah?” His friend smiled and nodded, but his attention was quickly diverted to some females (probably senior girls from the looks of them) arriving onto the school campus.

I smirked at this. I hadn’t even thought of how the merge between the boys and girls academies would affect the younger students.

“Well, I actually wanted to ask you two a favor,” I said finally getting to the point. They both looked at me expectantly waiting for me to continue. “Would you two take me and my friend’s luggage up to our dorm? I would be willing to pay you.”

The two boys looked at each other and the brunette’s friend frowned, and for a second I actually thought they were going to decline the offer, but the kid ended up shrugging and they agreed. But of course they would; freshmen were always looking for any way to make quick cash. 

“Good, here’s my room key card,” I handed it over to them. I pointed to the suitcases that sat on the curb. “And there’s our luggage. When you guys are done, just bring me back my card and I’ll pay the both of you… say…twenty dollars each?”

“Great, thanks, President Kim,” the boy said. Along with their own suitcases, both boys picked our stuff up and tugged them along to take them to our dorm room. 

And that ladies and gentleman, is my power at work. 

“I hope you actually plan on paying them” Sehun said trying to hold onto his laughter. I looked back at both kids who looked like they were having a bit of a struggle with all the luggage. “Because if not, that’s just messed up.” 

“Now you know I always keep my word,” I told him, to which he rolled his eyes. It was true; I did keep my word… more or less. And it was like I had said; keeping the people happy was part of my job so that they stayed on my side. Or at least keeping the guys happy and on my side was important to me. Now that our school was co-ed, the girls were a whole other story. 

Sehun and I moved along and entered the school campus. There was a huge banner that stretched across the entrance way greeting the students.

“Welcome girls AND boys to Cheonan Academy, 2014!”

The very moment Sehun and I stepped onto the actual campus grounds, females were all gawking at us like we were celebrities on a red Icarpet event.

 I perked up at the sound of some giggling girls, and turned to see a few girls passing me up on my left; all three of them clearly had their eyes on Sehun and I.

I smirked, staring them down, being sure to keep eye-contact. 

Hook.

I then slightly bowed my head, acknowledging them. 

Line.

I added a wink just for fun to mess with them a little. 

Sinker.   

One of the girl’s cheeks burned red and the three of them scuttled away, giggling and all.

I just shook my head. Girls are so easy

I opened my mouth to tell Sehun this, but was cut short when suddenly I was harshly jerked forward from behind. I swiftly spun around, all but ready to start a fight with the person who pushed me, when I came face to face with one of my favorite faces. 

“Chanyeol! You twerp!” I grabbed him by the neck and put him in a friendly headlock. “If you were somebody else, I probably would’ve socked you!” He just laughed, getting out of the headlock.    

“Dude, it’s about time you guys got here!” I heard a familiar voice call from behind me. Turning around I caught sight of two more familiar faces. “What’d you guys get lost or something on the way here?”     

“Tao!” Sehun exclaimed. Tao, my soft-voiced, panda-eyed friend opened his arms for Sehun. They both hugged each other, rather affectionately, might I add. It was silent between the rest of us as we watched them hug until my other friend Kris, cleared his throat loudly. 

“Wow. You two must have really missed each other,” I joked. Tao let go of Sehun, smirking mischievously. 

“Aw, you don’t have to be jealous," Tao said, opening his arms again and heading for me. He engulfed me in a large hug, nearly squeezing the life out of me. “I missed you too, Jongin.” 

I just awkwardly patted him on the back. “Thanks man.” 

“Seriously, though, we’ve been here for like an hour already,” Chanyeol said. “What took you two so long to get here?”

“Why Channie? Did you miss me too?” I .

“You wish,” he sneered back. 

“We couldn‘t dodge the traffic,” Sehun explained. “Probably because everybody on the road was on their way here.”            

“I told you, you guys should’ve left earlier,” Kris chided.  “That’s what we did and we avoided traffic.”

“Sorry Dad,” I mocked. “I’ll remember that next time.” 

The more students that piled onto campus, the livelier the academy became. Students were all around hugging each other as they met up again from the absence of not seeing each other over summer. Plenty of students were still arriving, lugging their suitcases around as they searched for their dorm rooms. The campus was really filling up. 

“Please tell me I’m not the only one ready for this school year to start?” Chanyeol said, looking dazed by all the females walking around campus. He then gestured over to a rather uninterested looking Kris. “I’m glad we’re going co-ed now, but -face here doesn‘t seem to care.” 

“That’s because he’s still crying over his ex-girlfriend,” Tao said, but then smiled sheepishly when Kris shot a glare in his direction, shutting him up. 

“Seriously, you’ve been moping about her all summer. It’s time to let her go. I know she was hot and everything, but you gotta look at the bright side,” Chanyeol said wrapping his arm around Kris shoulder and started guiding him through the campus like he was giving Kris a tour of the “scenery”. 

“What bright side?” Kris deadpanned, still not looking any more interested in the academy despite all the hot girls walking by and giving him "the eye". 

Urgh, I groaned in my head. Kris could really be a wet blanket. Only he could turn this experience into a negative one. I pushed Chanyeol out of the way, replacing him and walked with Kris.

Clearly he needed more motivation.  

“What bright side?” I asked incredulously. "Do I have to spell it out for you?" He just stared at me with a blank expression.

Kris’s apathetic nature always surprised me, though it really shouldn’t have, considering how long I’d known him; he had always been this way. Even despite being a young, handsome, tall eighteen-year old rich kid with plenty of women to choose from, he was generally rather impassive; well, at least he was ever since his girlfriend dumped him for some senior college student.

“F-R-E-E-D-O-M!” I literally spelled it for him, since he couldn’t seem to get it. “Think about it, Kris. You’re a senior, you’re a free agent so you won‘t be tied down by any girl, and on top of that, you’re attending an academy with some of the hottest chicks in Korea.” 

Kris shrugged his shoulders looking at the girls around him, still uninterested. Man I would’ve sworn this guy was gay if it weren’t for his rather impressive track record with the ladies.

“Come on Kris, these aren’t just any girls. These are Maecheon girls,” Chanyeol said, whispering "Maecheon" as if it was some secret. He walked next to us keeping in stride, while Sehun and Tao goofed off behind us. “These are the same girls we used to watch when we’d sneak over here during school break and peek on them in the field during their P.E. classes.”

This got Kris’s stone face to crack just a little as his lips began to turn up into a smile. 

I couldn’t help but laugh at Chanyeol’s confession as well. I knew they did it, in fact, we all did, but I recall Chanyeol, Sehun, and Kris making it their daily activity. Being in an all-boys school can make the students a little desperate for some interaction with the opposite . The only ones who were allowed to go off campus were juniors and seniors and the only way freshman or sophomores were able to go off campus was if they were accompanied by upperclassmen. 

A few years ago, when we were just little freshmen, a few close seniors of ours would sneak us off campus and we would go wherever we wanted. After we became juniors we could go off campus, allowing us to hook up with whomever, but before that, the only time we ever saw girls was during school dances. Our schools would gather together for our annual proms and other little school activities, but other than that, that was the only exposure we got to females until summer break came around again.            

As Kris’s best friend, and as president, since it is part of my job to keep my fellow students happy, I decided to make it my personal mission to find him one really smoking hot girl that would keep him distracted long enough to forget his ex. I wasn't going to have one of my best friends moping all year about a girl he's not even with anymore. I went ahead and explained this to him.

“Like who?” he asked, his tone doubtful. He didn’t believe I could find anybody he’d be interested in. 

“Well…” I trailed off. 

I scanned the students walking around campus. Sure there were a lot of hot girls, but if I was going to make Kris forget his ex, the girl I chose was going to have to be pretty damn fine and on top of that she was going to need a spectacular personality. I didn’t actually think I was going to find that by just simply scanning the crowded campus until I noticed a small group of four girls walking by. Well, it wasn’t really the four of them that caught my eye, but rather the one that was marching slightly ahead of the other three girls that most definitely caught my attention.

I would usually use the words “hot”, “y” or “fine” to describe a girl’s attractiveness. But those words didn’t hold enough impact I was looking for to describe her. She was gorgeous to say the least. In fact, if I weren’t looking for a girl for Kris, I would’ve saved her for myself. 

Her skin was pale as ivory which perfectly contrasted the darkness of her hair color; which was a deep mahogany that blended into brown at the ends and was shoulder length. She wore casual clothes- high-waist jeans, slightly displaying her curves and a navy blue, dress shirt.

Her style was clean-cut, neat, but natural telling me that she cared about her looks, but at the same time, wasn’t too prissy or girly which was absolutely perfect. Kris really wasn’t into girls that were too girly, but he definitely didn’t like girls too boyish either.

And her face, although youthful, still held a certain sense of wisdom and maturity that made her stand out amongst those around her. 

“HER!” I nearly shouted, immediately after spotting her.

“Her who?” Kris asked, looking in every which direction. 

Using my index finger, I pointed straight at her.

The guys followed my finger over to the quartet walking across campus, directly in our line of sight. 

“Okay, but which one?” Chanyeol asked this time. 

“Who cares, they're all pretty hot,” Sehun answered. “Kris, whoever you don’t choose, I call dibs on the other girls.”  

Ignoring Sehun’s redundant response, I walked Kris closer so he could get a better look at the girl.  “See right there, the one walking in front of the other three girls with her.” 

Kris nodded. “Oh yeah, she‘s hot but-”

“Let’s go talk to them,” I cut him off. I could see Kris frowning at me out from the corner of my eye, but I didn’t even wait for his reply because I didn’t want him talking his way out of it. Nope, I had it already decided; I was going to introduce my friend to this girl, they were going to fall for each other, then he would be happy like the rest of us, and then I could continue on with more important things for the rest of the year.

Like ruling the academy.

* * *