Gong Minji

If I Fall, You're Going Down With Me!

*

GONG MINJI

*


 

Part I

To do list:

  1. Take out the trash in my dorm room

  2. Call my parents

  3. Pay student ASB fees

  4. Pickup dry cleaning

  5. Kill Kai

And I’m not talking just some easy kill that’s quick; no, I want it to be slow and painful that he’ll remember forever even in the afterlife! Maybe I could ax murder him “Lizzie Borden style”, or maybe I could make a personal torture room just for him and torture the heck out of him until he breathed his last breath. Then of course, I was going to need a place to hide the body afterwards, but that could be arranged.

The desert is pretty vast out this way; I’m sure I could get away with dragging his body to a ditch out in the middle of the desert and then cover it up where no one could ever find him again. His parents and his friends might get suspicious about his whereabouts, but if I forged a really good “runaway” letter, then I’m sure they would get over it soon enough.

Then the academy could go on like it was originally supposed to with just me as the only president, and I’d do such a great job that the school would crown me the “best senior president ever” and all would be right in the world.

Yep. Sounds like a good plan to me!

Ha ha! I'm kidding, sort of...

Anyways, regardless of whether I'm joking about killing Kai or not, it doesn't change the extreme anger I feel towards him at the moment. I now know that Kai was the one who started the huge food fight on Friday. And guess what else I found out? That he did it on purpose! Now, you want to know how I found out? Kris told me. But only because I freaking had to turn into “Nancy Drew” and go scoping around searching for him- the guy had been ignoring me all week- and then even after I cornered him, I literally had to force the truth out of him!

See, the thing is, Kris had actually lied to Mrs. Jung that he was the one who started the fight. After the food fight had been stopped by the screech of a bull horn, Mrs. Jung had ordered everyone in the cafeteria to got to the gymnasium so they could be “dealt with”. She'd ordered me to bring Mr. Cho (that's the superintendent's name) back to her office, and I'd spent the entire walk back to her office trying to convince him that the students weren't normally like that and that I was sure there was a reasonable explanation for their behavior. I'd even pitched in that Mrs. Jung was the perfect woman for the job to get to the bottom of it as well, but all he did was jut out his -chin stubbornly and say that he was going to write up everything he'd seen and take it back to the school board.

In other words, basically everything I was worried would happen when Mr. Cho showed up, happened anyway, only it was five times worse! Because little did I know, that Kai, my own co-president, was a huge part of the reason why it turned out so bad. After all the worrying and planning I'd done in preparation of the superintendent coming to our school last week, I guess in the midst of it, Kai too, was busy secretly making his own plans for Friday; like starting a huge food fight.

That's what Kris told me. During the meeting in the gymnasium with the rest of the senior students, I guess Mrs. Jung had threatened to cancel the senior class field trip to “Lotte World” if nobody stepped up and admitted they started the food fight. For that reason, Kris took the entire fault on his own shoulders and as a result, he was not only excluded from the senior field trip, but he'd also- well, let me just go back to what happened when I finally cornered him earlier this week...

. . .

Walking through the school campus on my way from the cafeteria, I'd spotted a familiar tall, lanky figure looking like he was searching for a spot to sit outside in the school's quad. Kris was by himself, and the quad wasn't too filled, so I went ahead and followed over to where he was situated. He must have sensed me coming because just as I was approaching him, he suddenly looked up so fast that I actually stumbled over my own two feet at being “caught”. Well, I wasn't even doing anything but walking, but with the way he was staring at me suspiciously with those stern features of his, I felt like I'd just been caught doing something that I shouldn't have been.

“Minji?” he questioned, confusedly. “What are you doing here?” He sat on one of the cement benches while I stood, towering over him trying to look intimidating.

“Why have you been avoiding me?” I questioned back. I wasn't going to beat around the bush; I wanted answers for his recent strange behavior.

He looked down and sighed before replying in a barely audible voice, “I haven't been avoiding you.”

I smirked, amused at his current disposition. He looked like a little kid who was in trouble or something, which also meant that my attempt at being intimidating was definitely working. Good! I want him to feel bad for being so stupid lately.

“Kris, I've tried talking to you all week, but you always avoid me like I'm the bubonic plague or something.”

A chuckle erupted from Kris, and I tilted my head to the side wondering if the joke was really that funny. I didn't care if he found it funny, I just wanted to know the truth about the food fight.

“Why did you start the food fight last week?”

At this, Kris' laughter stopped mid-chuckle and his face quickly returned to its stern, expressionless look. He glanced at me for a second before looking back across campus.

“It's stupid,” he replied, shaking his head.

“Then why would you do it?” My tone came out harsher than I intended it to, but I was irritated. “Why would you start a stupid food fight? And on the day that you knew I was showing the superintendent around campus? I know I haven't known you very long, but it just doesn't seem like apart of your character to do something like that.”

Kris sighed again before replying all in one breath, “Someone said something that really pissed me off, so over a second of bad judgment, I threw my food into the 's face!”

I was wincing at the intensity behind Kris' confession; the tone of his voice had started off low, but as he got to the end of his sentence, any higher and he would've been yelling. It seems he was really irritated as well.

“Who was the 'a-hole'?” I asked, putting air quotes around “a-hole”.

“Uh...um...” Kris looked taken back by my asking of “who” he'd thrown his food at. Which I found a little weird.

“Uh...um,” I repeated, before jokingly saying, “I don't think I know that student. Is he new here?”

Kris sneered at me before glancing down at his watch. “Oh you know what? I actually have to-” He was standing up like he was getting ready to leave, but I stopped him by placing my hand on his arm, which he glanced at before staring at me.

“You're doing it again!” I accused him. Kris just stared at me looking lost; I rolled my eyes. “Don't pretend like you have to go somewhere, when you're just trying to avoid me again. Why won't answer my question? I think I deserve to know the truth. And if you're really my friend you wouldn't hide this from me when you know its important to me.”

I said all this while staring him square in the eyes, hoping he would see how upset I was and that it would bring him to confession. It worked, because Kris' face scrunched up like he was feeling guilty, and he sighed for the umpteenth time before sitting back down.

“Those eyes,” I said grinning, but looking away from me. “I can't take those eyes of yours.”

“Good,” I replied. “Now tell me the truth.”

That's when Kris unleashed the entire story about Kai, and his idea to pull a prank on the girls. He told me that Kai originally asked all the guys to be in on it because he wanted the food fight to be huge, and how he walked out of the meeting because he decided he didn't want to be apart of Kai's stupid schemes anymore. He told me how Kai had stationed other seniors to distract the school staff outside so that they wouldn't know what was going on in the cafeteria and how his trouble-making friend, Kyuhyun, was supposed start the food fight, but didn't turn up. Then he told me about how he confronted Kai to ask him about his behavior and that's when Kai said something that really ticked him off.

“That was when I shoved my food in his face,” Kris finished. “So technically I did start the food fight. I just figured if he was going to continue with this dumb food fight, I might as well get in on the action, and make him the sole target.”

I hadn't said a word after he was finished. I just sat there in complete silence staring at nothing in particular, turning over in my head, all of the things Kris had just told me. Based of what Kris said, that meant that all of this...was Kai's fault? My co-president? The same one who looked me straight in the eye, held my shoulders, and had told me, “Don't worry Minji-ah. Trust me. Everything is going to be just fine.” Well...

“That !” I suddenly yelled out of nowhere, startling Kris.

“I'm glad you finally see him the way I do,” Kris said back, smirking.

“Why would he do something like that?” I questioned more to myself than to Kris sitting next to me. “And for what?”

“Well, Kai is a little turd sometimes, but...”

“Dumb !” I was still in my own head, not really speaking to Kris.

“Yeah, I know Kai is, but-”

“No, I meant you,” I said turning to Kris.

Kris' brows immediately furrowed like he was offended by my comment, then they raised up, surprised, and he used his own index finger to point at himself. “Me?”

“Yes you,” I shot back, nodding assuredly. “Why would you take the rap for him?”

“Kai was never going to admit to it,” he told me. “He's got an image to protect. Plus, I'm sort of sworn to our brotherhood. There's times when Kai or my other friends have had my back during times when I did stupid crap, and I do the same for them.”

“So, you guys willingly do stupid stuff that could've been prevented if only you guys had a brain, and then you'll take the blame for it even though you didn't do it just to protect one another?” I asked trying to make sense of these boys' logic. I still didn't get it. “That's stupid.”

“I already told you the reason was stupid.”

I shook my head. These boys... “I'm gonna kill Kai.”

“No you won't.”

I quirked an eyebrow at him. “How do you know?”

“Because, homicide as part of you school activities won't look good on your college applications.”

This genuinely made me laugh which was something I really needed considering the stressed week I'd had.

“This is better,” Kris said, making me look at him, confused. He explained, “I like a happy Minji more than a stressed Minji. You really have the cutest laugh and eye smile. I wish you would do it more.”

Oh gosh. Now my smile wouldn't stop and I had to place my hands over my cheeks to literally hold them down. I didn't want to be smiling like a goober, but it's like they had a mind of their own.

“So, what punishment did Mrs. Jung give you for starting the food fight?” I really wanted to change the topic of conversation before Kris started making fun of my cheeks.

“Ah, well she said...”

And that's when Kris told me how he was excluded from being able to go on the senior field trip, which I thought was really unfair, but it was his other punishment that really threw me for a loop. He also apparently lost his place in the election for “senior vice-president”. I was curious as to how Mrs. Jung even knew that Kris was a candidate for vice-president considering Kai and I hadn't finished going over the choices for committee leaders to even turn them in to the office. However, I'd went to ask Mrs. Jung about it later and according to her, Kai had already submitted the final candidates in for the both of us last week, lying to her that we'd both agreed on all the candidates.

I was livid! So now, not only had Kai ruined my entire Friday on purpose the day the superintendent came, but now he was making presidential decisions without me and taking the credit for it. I seriously couldn't figure out what was wrong with this guy! I just wanted to shout at him, “Why?” Why was he doing this? Was he out to get me or something? Had I done something to offend him? I've tried to play nice with Kai hoping that if we worked together that we could make this school year work out, but it's clear that the game he's playing is for his own selfish gain. And if that's the case, I was just going to have to step up and beat him at his own game. But I've always been such a “goodie goodie”. Did I really have what it takes to play “dirty” like Kai did?

Well, I'll tell you this... I was about to find out something about Kai that I never thought he'd do. Something way worse than his other stupid little pranks and I was going to find out just how much I willing to play “dirty”.

Oh Kai, if you thought you were just going to walk all over me this entire year, you've got another thing coming boy...

* * *

Ah, yeah, so I decided to write again. It's not something I can leave for very long. This chapter is short, but it's the most I could get for now. Anyways, the Hiatus is Over~~