Guarding Him

Guarding Him

 

 

Everything was moving fast, people running around, giving and taking orders. In spite of everything that was going on, Chansung was calm. This was what he did, what he knew, and here he was in his essence. He had inspected the place the previous day getting to know the surroundings, making sure everything was in order, but still he had decided to drop by this morning to double-check. He liked being thorough.

 

This was going to be a big outdoor event, with thousands of people attending, basically every bodyguard’s nightmare, especially since the politician he was protecting was holding a high profile speech.

 

When his agency had told Chansung that they would be protecting a member of the parliament, old, sleazy and corrupted was what he had been expecting but Nichkhun was anything but. A son of a Thai father and Korean mother, Nichkhun Horvejikul had managed to win the heart of the South-Korean nation and Chansung could very well understand why.

 

With a handsome face and a dazzling smile, he had been voted the iest politician more than once, and he definitely was charming. But more importantly he knew how to use his charm to his own advantage.

 

Being somebody’s bodyguard meant being around them constantly, so Chansung usually got to know more about his clients that he wanted to. This man was the exception and the more Chansung got to know about him, the more interested he was, and the more he respected the man. Nichkhun knew how to play the game of politics, definitely, but he had ambition, integrity and truly cared about the public. In fact, that was what had gotten him into trouble in the first place.

 

For a long while Nichkhun had been working towards a bill to fight corruption, and now that it was ready, he had received multiple threats, which was the reason for him being guarded heavily at this moment.

 

“Everything is ready, we should head back to pick the client up” Chansung heard his partner say next to him, and they drove back to the hotel where Nichkhun was, but something at the back of his mind was bugging him and an he had an uneasy feeling in his stomach. After having asked Taecyeon for the fifth time if the cars had been checked for explosives, he decided to let it go.

 

Getting the client to the event went well, and soon it was time for Nichkhun to step on stage. The previous uneasiness came crawling back and Chansung frantically looked through the crowd, repeatedly stopping on a few faces that caught his attention. Suddenly he saw something in the expression of one of those men change and he reached for something in his pocket.

 

There was a small flash as the sunlight reflected on something metallic, and that was all Chansung needed and jumped on his politician, pushing him down to the ground. Only a second later, there was a shot, slightly gracing Chansung’s arm. Using his entire body to cover his client he looked through the crowd and quickly recognized the shooter.

“Guard him” he yelled at Taecyeon, before running after the culprit.

“Stop, right there!” Chansung shouted, pulling up his gun. The man didn’t listen and Chansung followed him through the crowd and could feel one of his coworker running behind him, backing him up.

 

The culprit had now run into an empty street, so Chansung saw his chance and gave the man his final warning.

“Stop, or I’ll shoot.” Still the man kept running, so having no choice Chansung took his aim and shot the man in his leg. Immediately the shooter fell to the ground and Chansung ran to his spot and cuffed him. The police arrived soon after that, so he handed the criminal to them and ran back, making sure his client was alright.

 

Everything had happened really fast and Chansung quickly noticed Taecyeon getting in the car and managed to join them before they drove ahead.

 

The next few hours were hectic. Even though he insisted it wasn’t necessary, they took Nichkhun to the hospital and luckily everything was alright. After that they had gone to the police to make a report, and when they were finished and walked outside, the place was swamped with reporters. Chansung couldn’t help admiring Nichkhun as he handled everything professionally, without casting blame to anyone, only referring to the shooter as a “troubled individual”.

 

It was already late when they finally arrived at the hotel. The hotel room had been checked for bombs and any type of danger, but still Taecyeon and Chansung went one last round. There were a lot of people in the hotel room, coming in and out of it, and Chansung did not like it. Especially not when Nichkhun’s campaign manager arrived, a middle aged man with an obnoxious smirk plastered on his face.

 

Looking at the news on his phone, he exclaimed:

“Looks like things are turning out well for us” he said with a smile, “The papers have made their own conclusions, indicating a connection with the shooting and the opposition to the bill.” Then he added pleased: “The opposition must realize that if you really get harmed, the bill will get a lot of attention and will be passed for sure, so there definitely won’t be any attacks from now on. And this is turning out so nicely for the polls.”

 

Chansung despised the man, talking about polls at times like this, so even though it was definitely not his place, he couldn’t help himself and spoke up:

“I think the congress man has gone through enough for today, he needs some rest now.”

Looking up at him a bit funny, surprised that he would speak up, the campaign manager muttered:

“Oh, you’re probably right.” Pointing at Nichkhun he added: “We’ll talk tomorrow!”

Then he was out of the door, along with the rest of the people, including Taecyeon who would be guarding the door along with their coworkers.

 

Chansung did his best to hide his disgust as he closed the door behind him, but apparently it didn’t work completely, because when there were only the two of them left in the room, Nichkhun said:

“He is a shark for sure, but he’s good at what he does, and in his own way he does care about me” With a gentle smile that made his features even softer, even more attractive, he added: “Guys like him are needed in a profession like mine, you just have to know when to listen to him, and when not.”

 

After that it was quiet, and Chansung knew he probably should also go, give him some privacy, but he didn’t want to leave before he was certain he was alright, feeling extra protective of him, maybe because he had just saved his life. Looking over at Nichkhun he definitely looked a lot more stressed than usually.

“Maybe you should take a shower?” Chansung suggested kindly, hoping it would make him relax a bit.

“Will you be here when I come out?” Nichkhun asked nervously.

“If you want me too.”

“Thank you.” And there it was again, that beautiful smile that now had a hint of uneasiness to it.

 

Soon Chansung could hear the water running and before long Nichkhun came out again with wet hair, wearing a bathrobe. Smiling at him, still drying his hair, Nichkhun got himself a glass and bottle of cognac from his cabinet and sat down on the sofa. Seeing how much his hands were shaking, Chansung quickly moved over, sitting down by his side.

“Here, let me” and then he poured Nichkhun some alcohol into the glass.

“Thank you” he answered quietly, adding, “Do you want some?”

“Thanks, but I don’t drink when I’m working.”

“Of course not” Nichkhun said into his glass, taking a sip, but his hands were shaking so badly, that without thinking Chansung took his hands in his, steading them.

“You must think I’m such a fool” Nichkhun added, gaze not meeting his, but fixed on their hands.

“Of course not. Only a fool would not be shaken after experiencing something like this.”

“You seem fine, and you were actually shot,” his big round eyes now stared straight at his bodyguard.

“It was not my life they were after, so it’s different. Besides, I do this for a living.”

Seeing Nichkhun’s distraught face, Chansung added to ease the tension: “If I was supposed to do your job, hold speeches in front of thousands of people, then I would be extremely stressed, I can promise you that.”

“You are too sweet” Nichkhun muttered, the corner of his mouth curling up into a smile.

 

Realizing he still held his hands, Chansung reluctantly let go of them. He felt his face getting warmer, being so close to the congress man, especially since his bathrobe was very loosely fastened, giving a clear view of his neck and down his chest.

“You are very good at your job” Nichkhun muttered, now staring straight into his eyes.

“Thank you” he managed to stutter up, unable to look away from his gaze.

“You know…” Khun slightly bit his lips, “Sometimes, I can feel you watching me…”

“It’s my job” Chansung simply answered, but suddenly he felt hot.

“No I don’t mean that” and he moved closer, “I mean I can feel your eyes on me, watching me…”

“I-I’m sorry, I didn’t want to make you feel uncomfortable.”

“It doesn’t” he answered simply, “In fact it makes me feel very warm.”

“It does?” Chansung answered starting to feel a bit nervous as Nichkhun kept getting closer and closer.

 

After that everything happened in slow motion, Nichkhun moved closer, hypnotizing him with his big brown eyes, and before Chansung could object, Nichkhun’s lips were on his, so soft, so sweet, so irresistible. Before he could stop himself he responded to the kiss, eagerly, hungrily, pushing Nichkhun down against the sofa. After drowning in his own senses for too long, Chansung finally managed to break the kiss, muttering:

“I can’t. Not with a client. It’s against the rules.”

“And do you always follow the rules?”

“Yes.”

“That's a shame... some rules are meant to be broken” Nichkhun answered with a smile, putting his arms around his bodyguard’s neck, pulling him down again into another kiss. Losing control again, Chansung tasted those lips and the sweetness of the man underneath him. But eventually he managed to pull himself together, pulling away, sitting up again.

“No, really I can’t.”

It was true that some rules were meant to be broken, but this was not one of them. If he would give into his urges, he would be unfit to serve him, and Chansung needed to be by his side, to protect him, especially after what happened today.

 

For a while they sat still in silence, slightly panting, trying to calm down their breathing.

“W-Will you stay with me tonight? Sleep next to me?” Nichkhun muttered up after a long silence, “I don’t mean anything else, I just… don’t want to be alone tonight… I… It’s a weak moment for me” he smiled apologetically.

“Of course” Chansung answered simply, because there was no way he could refuse a request like that.

 

Still wearing his robe, Nichkhun lay down on the bed, under the covers. Removing his jacket and tie, Chansung lay down next to him fully dressed on top of the covers, gun underneath his pillow.

“Thank you” Nichkhun said facing him.

“No problem”

“No, I mean also for today, for saving my life.”

“You’re welcome.”

 

Nichkhun smiled at him softly, and Chansung felt his insides tie themselves into a knot.

“Sorry for being so needy tonight.”

“It’s understandable.”

“One more?” Nichkhun pleaded and instantly Chansung knew what he was talking about.

“Only one” he replied firmly, but his strictness was only an illusion that was broken as soon as he felt the softness of Nichkhun’s lips. The kiss was gentle and lingering and lasted for a long while, but like all good things in life, eventually it was broken.

 

Even though Chansung was feeling guilty for giving into his needs, he couldn’t find it in himself to regret it, not when he saw the beauty of the man in front of him, the kindness in his eyes.

 

“So three more weeks” Nichkhun said smiling.

“huh?”

“Until the bill is passed, and I won’t need protection anymore… Now I have something to look forward to…”

“What?”

“Oh, I think you know what will happen between us when all of this is over” Nichkhun smiled mischievously and gently Chansung’s cheek. Not sure if he was implying what he thought he was implying, Chansung’s heart still started to pound harder in his chest.

 

“Sorry for being so needy tonight, tomorrow I’ll be stronger.”

“I know you will” Chansung replied, though he didn’t mind seeing his weaker side, he almost felt special being shown a side that not many people got to see.

“Goodnight, my handsome bodyguard.”

“Goodnight”

For a long while after Chansung stared at Nichkhun’s relaxed face as he fell asleep, his long lashes, strong eyebrows and soft features. Knowing his coworkers were on duty in front of the room, eventually he fell asleep, dreaming of what might happen after those three weeks were over.