Past and Present

Bizarre Family

 

"Wait a second!" Calvin yelled. Why on earth was Jae Joong ringing the bell when he knows the damn pass code? He glared at the two closed doors adjacent his room before sprinting down the stairs. The two were playing deaf. He was still slipping his wife beater on when he opened the door. He didn't even bother to check the security console as he was ready to launch himself into a lengthy lecture, "What on ear--Selina?" What was his secretary doing here in this hour?

 

"G-Good evening, Sir. Mr. Kim asked me to bring this for So Eun-sshi." It was a package wrapped in a brown bag. Her cheeks turned into a funny shade of pink when she noticed what he was wearing. He rolled his eyes heavenward. Seriously, when will his brother stop?

 

"Thanks." He mumbled. "Would you want to come in?" He asked out of courtesy.

 

"N-No. I better get going, it's late. See you tomorrow, Mr. Chen." She half-ran towards the black car halfhazardly parked in their driveway. He could've terminated Selina's services a long time ago or at least have her transferred to another department. But he didn't want his family to think that her mere presence affects him in any way. They've been vocal--adamant even--about matchmaking him to his secretary and Selina, the masochist that she was, wasn't helping at all.

 

He knew Selina from way back. He didn't even want to remember the time when he was like a poor pup vying for her attention. He didn't even know if she still remembered the obese boy who used to follow her around but he didn't care. He's a changed person and he won't be tricked the second time around.

 

"Was that Appa just now?" Calvin jumped up from staring at the dark where Selina's car disappeared.  So Eun was craning her neck towards the kitchen when she can't see Jae Joong anywhere. He glared at his charge and chucked her the package.

 

"Who are you to get deliveries in this hour?" He spat. "And why didn't you get the door?"

 

"I was in the shower!" She sounded defensive and he narrowed his eyes. "And what is thi--oh." She peered inside the bag. "Appa had this delivered?" She turned beet red and he got an idea on what was in the bag. She didn't wait for him to answer and stomped back to her room, plotting Jae Joong's death.

 

******************************************

 

Yoona will wear her sunglasses. If only she will not look silly. She thought she'll scorch her retinas just by looking at the extremely radiant being in front of her. "Good afternoon. May I help you?" She maintained her professional demeanor while tactically surveying the unknown female.

 

"I'm here to see Mr. Yamaa. Is he in?" She gave her a dazzling smile. Before today, the word bedazzled was just a word to her. She was not who she thought she was, right?

 

"Do you have an appointment, Miss. . ?" She trailed off, fumbling for the optic mouse.

 

"Inoue. Inoue Mao and no, I'm afraid I don't." Yoona almost choked on the name. It really was her. She looked so fragile like an expensive China. The kind that men wanted to take care of and women wanted to befriend. Why was Pi afraid of this girl, she didn't get.

 

"If you take a seat and make yourself comfortable, I'll let Mr. Yamaa know of your presence." She motioned for the seating area and gave her an assuring smile.

 

Pi looked up from reading a hard copy of a document that he needs to sign and he knew instantly that Yoona's expression wasn't any good.

 

"You didn't tell me your fiancée is Helen of Troy incarnate." She had her arms crossed, regarding him with an unreadable stare.

 

*********************************************

 

Regular classes resumed after three days and everyone had been busy with the upcoming exams. Kim Bum had been set to bag the top spot to get his new car and So Eun's attention. He's not afraid to lose some serious money but his fear of embarrassment gets the better of him. Even his mother can't believe that he's actually reading a book and was not somewhere beating up someone. Their money made it possible for him to transfer in the middle of the school year and he needed a lot of reading to catch up.

 

"Oh, bloody heavens!" She exclaimed when she saw him by the cabana with books scattered around him. He rolled his eyes heavenward. Trust his mother to overreact. "I'm glad I don't have to disown you anytime soon. See? I told you you can be a good student if you just put your mind into it."

 

"Yeah, right. And don't forget our deal, Omma. I ace my studies and you buy me a new car."

 

"But of course. But you promised to do good for at least a year. And if you get into a good college, you'll get another gift." She was just so glad to finally get his son away from his friends that were no more than a bad influence to him.

 

"I'll remember that." He said and turned his attention to the book he was reading, dismissing his own mother. He was not very close to any of his parents. He grew up surrounded by maids and he barely see them even during the holidays. When he was younger, he did everything to get their attention to the point of angering them both so they will spare him some of their time. He made friends with school gangsters and was involved in ty shenanigans and was perpetually truant from school. His father almost had a heart attack when he was kicked out of his Alma Mater. His father was a top student and was a member of the Honor Society.

 

He thought that after that, they will spend more time with him but they just paid for everything he destroyed and everyone he beat up. It was a vicious cycle and honestly, he was getting tired of it as well.

 

******************************************

 

Gym was the most anticipated period of the day. At least for Kim Bum. It's the only class he shared with So Eun. They had Polo for the agenda and will spend the next two hours in the field. He thought it was time to show off his riding skills and impress her.

 

He learned that she lives with three men that neither her brother nor her relatives. No one really knew of the living arrangement aside from the fact that they were taking turns into sending her to school and picking her up and that her appointed guardian was no less than the famous broadcaster Kim Jae Joong. But Kim Jae Joong was only in his early 30s as far as he was concerned.

 

He got to the Polo field were the rest were gathered in his crisp riding uniform only to be disappointed when he realized that all the girls were not present and that he'll be competing against Kim Jun Su. And his amiable nature was nowhere to be seen in the field. He was like a maniac and before he knew it, he was eating mud and his whole body was aching including his forehead where he got hit by the god forsaken ball.

 

"Omo! Mianhe!" He glared at the younger man. So much for trying to be cool.

 

"Aish! Are you blind?!" He snapped, holding his bleeding forehead.

 

"You weren't paying attention." Jun Su deadpanned and he can hear some of his classmates snickering behind him. Chang Min caught him by the elbow in an attempt to help him up but he pushed him away. Their coach gave him permission to go to the infirmary and there he found Kim So Eun making the sole hospital bed. She looked up when the door made a noise and the smile she had ready vanished when he caught sight of him.

 

"Oh my god! Gwenchana?" She sat him on the bed and moved with so much precision without saying anything. She was securing a bandage over his forehead when he thought he can't take the silence anymore.

 

"Don't we have Gym? Why are you here?" He decided to start the conversation. He learned earlier that they separate males and females during sports activities. While they were playing Polo, girls were supposed to be playing tennis.

 

"Here, take this. The pain will be worse later." She handed him a pill and a glass of water, deliberately not answering his question. She was putting away the things she used to treat him, not paying him anymore attention.

 

"I just want to be your friend. I didn't know that you're not only a snob, you're also very rude." What was wrong with this girl? Did all the attention go to her head? She regarded him with an icy blank stare.

 

"First, I was taught not to talk to strangers. Second, it's not my duty to answer all of your questions. Third, it's my prerogative whom to befriend or not. And lastly, I don't care about what you, or other people for that matter, think of me." Before he can process a smart retort, the door opened and admitted who he assumed to be the school nurse.

 

"Oh, So Eun-ssi! Im so sorry! The meeting lasted longer than expected."

 

"It's okay. I better get to class." She smiled and bowed a bit.

 

"If your teacher needs my endorsement, please let me know, okay?" Then she finally noticed his presence. "How are you feeling?"

 

"Great." He rolled his eyes.

 

"Of course. So Eun-ssi attended to you, right?" She examined his appearance. "Did you jump off the horse so you can see her?" Were there people who feign sickness everytime So Eun's on nurse duty?

 

**************************************************

 

"She's getting more persistent everyday. I don't think we can put it off any longer." Calvin said. They were inside his office in the trendy Seoul's Apgujeong district. He called forth a meeting with Jae Joong and Pi and his workplace seemed to be the only place to discuss it without So Eun's knowledge.

 

"How can we tell her that we already know the truth and that we kept it from her to protect her?" Pi slumped further down the plush settee in despair. He hadn't told a soul about his family dilemma apart from Yoona since there was no way he would be able to keep it from her anyway. And this situation with his pseudo family was adding to the things that were weighing him down.

 

"She's smarter than we give her credit for and I think it will be best if we let her know than let her figure it out on her own." Jae Joong said carefully after a long moment of silence that ensued. They knew that sooner rather than later, she will learn the truth about what happened to the little girl Jae Joong found barely breathing in one of the dumpsters in Chungnam ten years ago.

 

"We are doing it together." Calvin didn't like the way the two were eyeing him. He might be the oldest but he won't be trapped into telling So Eun what they were trying to protect her from for so many years. "And what is wrong with you, Pi-chan? You're not yourself lately." It wasn't the bike still, was it? Calvin thought. Yesterday, two men in dark sutis arrived and left Pi's bike in their garage without any word. The bike was in the exact same condition before it went missing apart from the few miles added on the counter.

 

"My mother's here in Seoul since a week ago." With another person.

 

"Mworagu?" Jae Joong gulped. He had only met his mother once and he didn't want to repeat the experience.

 

"Why?" Calvin asked quietly. He had an idea on what Pi's mother agenda would be in visiting Seoul. She's a person who did not have time for vacations and other trivial matters.

 

Pi shrugged his shoulders. "Beats me." He lied. Mao's visit the other day confused him like no other and he didn't want to bother them about it.

 

"We are here for you, Nii-chan." Jae Joong seldom acknowledges them being older than him and when he does, it won't fail to make him smile.

 

"I know." Along with the crooked smile.

 

**********************************************

A/N: Hello, yeorabun! I'm back! Sorry for being away for too long. I didn't mean to.