Scared Puppy and Sanitary Napkins

Bizarre Family

 

 

 

The cordless phone was still stuck in the middle of Pi's shoulder and his ear. He can't even find the energy to put it back on its cradle. Nevermind the impending presentation that he had to do in a few minutes through a hologram conference. His mind just went blank. All because of the phone call he just received. Trust his mother to scare the living daylights out of him even if she's miles away.

 

 

 

 

The knock on the door startled him more than it could ever would that the handset fell onto his lap with a resonating thud. "They are ready whenever you are, Mr. Yamaa." Yoo Na, his secretary was gaping at him from the door. He knew he's pale--hell, he even had this urge to throw up only if he won't look silly.

 

 

"Sir? Is something wrong? Did something happen at home?" As the secretary, the phone call from Pi's mother came through her line first before she connected her. She walked towards him and shook him gently.

"N-no. . .I'm okay. . .I guess." He stood up and his knees wobbled like jelly. He held the edge of his desk for a few seconds to steady himself, masking it by fixing his tie and smoothening his suit. He didn't want to faint although at the back of his mind he was tempted.

"If you're not feeling well then I can always tell Mr. Brin and Mr. Seo can preside the meeting instead. You're as white as paper." He let her guide him to the couch on the left side of the room. "Just stay there and I'll get back to you, okay?" She then proceeded to the conference room where the rest of the executives were wating including a hologram image of one of the founders of Google himself, Sergey Brin. She told them what happened and the meeting went by with Pi's assistant covering for him. She went back to her boss slash friend with a glass of water. She was relieved to see him gaining color again but was still in daze as he sat motionlessly where she left him.

"Yah! Pi-chan!" She nudged him as she transformed from a professional to a concerned friend. Pi still had this terrified look in his eyes when he took the rim of the glass to his mouth.

"Okaasan's coming to Seoul." He breathed silently like his mother will hear him. Yoo Na's eyes widened as she understood perfectly what this meant.

"But why?" She knew she's been trying to lure Pi into returning home and inheriting the family business.

"Mol lal." He closed his eyes tightly as Yoo Na eyed him with pity. "And she's not alone mind you!"

"Is she coming with your sister?"

"How I wish it's my sister! I'll choose Ri Na in a heartbeat." That surprised Yoo Na 'cause never in the last four years that Pi forgot to mention how he can't stand being near the domineering women of his family. And for him to choose Ri Na over someone then this person must have driven him nuts in the past.

*****************************************************************************

So Eun looked up when she heard the familiar honk. She kissed both Jun Su and Hee Chul on their cheeks and grabbed her gym bag from the bench. She ran towards the car and got in beside the driver without a word. Calvin waved to the two guys before driving off. So Eun had a faraway expression on her face and he didn't dare disturb her. Minutes later, he pulled up in front of their favorite ice cream parlor instead of going straight home. He beckoned for So Eun to follow him and soon enough, they were sitting with a large serving of banana split sundae in between them.

"Tell me what's wrong, sweetie." He picked the teaspoon and attacked the dessert. After a long day at work, he was relieved to finally find a reprieve. His daughter didn't utter a word since he picked her up. "Hey, Indian cat got your tongue?" So Eun sighed heavily.

"Tou-chan wouldn't like us snacking at this hour." She said instead but picked her spoon too and dug in.

"Who would tell him?" He peered at So Eun from across the table carefully, trying to discern the problem. "One of the pesky admirers again?" He'd been dead set on enrolling her into an exclusive school for girls outside Seoul but Jae Joong vehemently opposed of it. He said she won't be able to develop real intercommunication skills if she'll be dealing only with annoying girls and monster nuns. Pi, being the perpetual neutral ground among them, taught So Eun martial arts so she can defend herself and Calvin was tasked to pick her up everyday from school.

"Dad, you know I've been a good girl since you got me, right?" Calvin's forehead creased in an instant. He didn't like where this conversation was going. And by the looks of it, she won't be asking anything material, that, he's sure. He knew So Eun by the roots of her hair to the tips of her toes.

"No, Kim So Eun. No." He said firmly. "You might have Jae Joong's last name but dear Lord, I am so going to have you kneel on salt if you cross me, araso?" He was seldom speaking in Korean so So Eun knew he was mad. She didn't try to push her luck further. She pouted as Father Number Three launched himself into a lecture. She shoved spoonfuls of ice cream onto repeatedly as an excuse for not responding whenever asked. "You're still too young and you know that. Wait till Jae Joong hears about this." He ended in a huff.

It was funny how both Pi and Calvin uses Jae Joong as a threat for So Eun when he's supposedly the youngest among them. Evidently, she's more afraid of Jae Joong than anyone else in this world. If she hesitated in bringing it up with Calvin then she won't even think of mentioning it to Jae Joong. Calvin knew about it and was using it to his advantage.

Her brain nearly froze after finishing a bowl of ice cream in a matter of minutes. She sighed. "But Dad, soon enough, I'll be graduating from high school. I need to know. This will forever hunt me if you won't let me."

*****************************************************************************

Yoon Eun Hye just finished proofreading everything encoded in the teleprompter. After she made sure everything was perfect, she gave Jae Joong his cue. As soon as the latter opened his mouth, she was drown to a sea of charisma that's Kim Jae Joong. It wasn't just his looks--no, it was more than that. Though she must admit that caught everyone's attention first when he was launched as one of the field reporters. She'd been following his career religiously since she first saw him one lazy evening in the primetime news.

And he'd been oblivious to her presence ever since.

"It's a wrap guys!" She shouted, almost robotically, when the one-hour news program ended. She just realized that her mind had been wandering for the past hour. Jae Joong stood up and turned his lapel off before bidding Min Jung, his co-anchor, goodbyes. She was still eyeing him when he went straight to his private dressing room. She thanked her camera men for a job well done and reminded them to be careful on their way home. She did the same for the make-up artists, to Min Jung and her husband Il Woo (who picked her up), the assistant director, the production assistants and so on. It was good five minutes before she finally reached the door of Jae Joong's dressing room and before she can turn the knob, it opened from the inside and admitted Jae Joong in his casual jeans and sulfur-colored sports shirt.

"Director-sshi. . ." He acknowledged when he saw her. He bowed slightly and slung the laptop bag on his shoulder. "Is there anything you need?"

"Ah, no. . .well, kind of." She smiled a bit. "It's my birthday on Sunday and Umma's throwing this small party. I was wondering if you could come." There. She said it. She crossed her fingers behind her back waited for Jae Joong to trample on her pathetic little wish. His face was thoughtful for a good ten seconds before,

"Advance happy birthday. Sure. . .I don't know where you live though." He leaned on the doorjamb lazily, eyebrow raised.

"I'll give you directions!" She answered too eagerly and it was too late to backtrack. "I mean, yeah. . .I have your number and I'll just text you. It's on Namgujong. . ."

"Oh. I know where that is. Just text me the street address." He smiled a bit and moved to lock the dressing room. "I better get going. See you." He waved her goodbye and disappeared through the corridor.

***************************************************************************

"Director-sshi. . ." He was a little shocked to see their director standing outside his dressing room. She never talked to him other than something related to work. "Is there anything you need?"

"Ah, no. . .well, kind of." She smiled and his heart skipped a bit. "It's my birthday on Sunday and Umma's throwing this small party. I was wondering if you could come." It took him forever to recover from shock and make out an appropriate response. Then and now, this girl won't fail to make his world stop. Without her knowing.

"Advance happy birthday. Sure. . .I don't know where you live though." He lied. Of course he knew! He leaned on the doorjamb lazily, eyebrow raised coolly.

"Komawoyo! I'll give you directions!" She answered like it was important for her that he comes. His stupid heart won't stop ramming against his poor ribcage. "I mean, yeah. . .I have your number and I'll just text you. It's on Namgujong. . ." She trailed off.

"Oh. I know where that is. Just text me the street address." He had to get out of there so he won't ravish her right then and there. He locked his dressing room, inconspicuously inhaling her scent as she stood behind him. "I better get going. See you!" He waved her goodbye and disappeared through the corridor.

He can't find the energy to drive as he sat on the driver's seat, still in euphoria. The mobile phone attached to his dashboard rang and he let it go through his voicemail.

"Appa! I hope you're on your way home and safe. Please drop by the pharmacy and buy me sanitary napkins. I love you!" And the call dropped.

"Aish! What would the whole Korea say if they see me buying sanitary napkins!" He grunted. He picked his phone and dialed a number. Someone picked up after four rings.

"Hello, Sel?"

****************************************************************************

A/N: I hope this chapter kind of introduced the 'fathers' a bit. Thank you for all those who bothered to read. I hope you guys can leave a comment.