Epilogue

Two Less Lonely People
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
The living room was alive with conversation and laughter. Jiyong’s house no longer resembled a somber cave; instead, it was light and airy. It was a house filled with love and happiness.

She settled onto the couch and hoisted her feet onto the ottoman, watching fondly as Jiyong and his friends oohed and aahed over a whole passel of babies.

Jung Il Woo and his wife, Ji Yeon, had arrived two days ago with their daughter, Yun Hee. Choi Dong Wook and his wife, Han Byul, had been the last to get here and they’d flown in today from Jeju where they lived permanently. Their daughter, Soo Jin, was nearly the same age as Yun Hee. The two were born mere weeks apart.

Though it had been touted as a time for everyone to get together and visit, Bom knew that Jiyong had arranged it to give her the kind of delivery surrounded by friends and family that she’d so wistful dreamed of.

In addition to the love and attention he lavished on her at every opportunity, he’d set it up for her café to be staffed for the last month of her pregnancy and for a period of three months after the baby was born until she decided to return to it full time or not.

Finally, she was living the ultimate fairy tale. One she’d thought she’d be forever denied. It was the most wonderful feeling in the world.

Bom liked Jiyong’s friends. They hadn’t been exactly as she’d expected. She’d thought they would be more like Jiyong had been in the beginning. Reserved. Standoffish.

But they were warm, outgoing and exuberant people.

She’d first met them when they all came in for Jiyong and Bom’s wedding. It hadn’t been a huge affair. They’d both opted for a quiet gathering of close friends and family only.

Han Byul was probably the quietest woman in the group, but Bom liked her a lot. She had a sweet smile and she clearly adored her daughter. Her husband, Dong Wook, never strayed far from their sides.

Bom smiled and then promptly grimaced when she was seized by another contraction.

She recovered quickly, pasted back on her serene smile and glanced at Jiyong.

He was standing next to Dong Wook, holding Soo Jin in his arms while the men talked and laughed. The interesting thing was that they weren’t discussing business. No, they were all trading baby stories and boasting about how their daughter was smarter, prettier and more clever than any other baby in the world.

Ji Yeon rolled her eyes and flopped onto the couch beside Bom. Taeyeon settled on the other side while Han Byul sat in an armchair right beside the couch.

“I’m amazed by the change in Jiyong,” Ji Yeon said quietly. “He seems so…happy. He’s not as dark and brooding as I remember. I don’t ever remember hearing him laugh. He rarely even smiled. You’ve performed a miracle, Bom.”

“He’s great. He’s still way overprotective and he can get worked up when he thinks about something happening to me or the baby, but he’s really learned to let go and not dwell so much on the negative.”

Taeyeon reached for her hand and squeezed.

“He loves you, Bom. You’ve been so good for him. You saved him.”

Another contraction tightened her belly, and she nearly groaned aloud. Han Byul frowned and leaned forward in her seat.

“Bom, what’s wrong?”

“Shhh!” Bom hissed. “Don’t let Jiyong hear. He'll freak.”

“Then tell us what’s wrong,” Taeyeon said in a quiet voice. “I saw that look, too. Are you having contractions?”

Bom blew out her breath. “Yeah, for a while now.”

“What?” Ji Yeon demanded. “Why didn’t you say anything?”

“Because I didn’t want Jiyong to freak out and be stressed for longer than necessary. I’m not supposed to go into the hospital until they’re two minutes apart, anyway.”

“Uh, Bom, I’m pretty sure you’re supposed to be there before they’re that close together,” Taeyeon said.

“My doctor told me that I should come in when my contractions were five minutes apart, regular and lasting at least a minute,” Han Byul offered.

Ji Yeon’s brow wrinkled in concentration.

“I think mine told me five to seven minutes apart and regular.”

Bom swallowed uncomfortably and then put a hand on her belly.

“Another one?” Taeyeon demanded. “Bom, how far apart are they coming?”

“Closer than five to seven minutes,” she grumbled. “I know I read somewhere that I should wait to go in until they were two minutes apart.”

Taeyeon gave her a look of exasperation.

“Where would you have read that? You refused to even look at the chapter in the childbirth book that dealt with the ninth month or any part of labor and delivery.”

Ji Yeon was on her feet, pulling at Bom’s arm. “Jiyong,” she called. “Bom needs to go to the hospital.”

All four men whirled around and Jiyong’s brow immediately furrowed. Then when he seemed to realize the significance, he went pale and concern burned bright in his eyes.

He handed Soo Jin back to Dong Wook and hurried over to Bom.

“Honey, is it time?”

“Hell, it’s bee

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter