The Great Opportunity

No More Than Just a Fan

“[ATTENTION]

EXO will be coming to the Philippines for their first solo concert to be held at the Smart Araneta Coliseum on the 8th of July, 2014. Their scheduled date of arrival will be two weeks early for the preparation of their first ever major concert. Details of their flight will be announced ASAP.”

 

While I was doing my usual fangirling on the internet, I was literally taken aback, I fell of my chair, gasped a few hundred times, reread the info for the nth time, and finally shrieked at the top of my lungs when it all sank on me. EXO is coming here in a couple of weeks! I don’t know how to express this sudden bolt of mixed feelings of joy and anxiety. I’ve been waiting for months since their last visit here, and now their precious feet are finally going to land on the same ground as mine once again. Just the realization of that fact alone gave me shivers.

 

After I poured all my emotions out by crying, smiling, and crying, and shrieking, and more crying, I realized that I really needed to prepare myself for their concert.

 

In these past few weeks, I’ve worked out till I couldn’t breathe anymore, went on a strict diet filled with fruits and veggies with absolutely no rice, and even did a facial once. But despite all the things I did, whenever I look at the mirror, then at f(x)’s Krystal’s photos, and back at the mirror, I see such a huge gap. I’ll never be able to attract 12 handsome guys with this face! No sir! But, I, of course, couldn’t do anything about that. Some people were just born drop dead gorgeous. Ugh.

 

            “[INFO]

            EXO’s flight details are as follows:

                        Flight no.: KE 28

                        Expected Date of Arrival: June 20, 2014

                        Expected Time of Arrival: 10 am

                        Airport: NAIA III

 

June 20? The 20th of June? 19 days after June 1? 1 day after today?

 

….

..

.

 

TOMORROW?!

 

WOAH. I did NOT see this coming! It’s a good thing I live right infront of the airport, that way I can come see them when they arrive.

 

I seriously need to get some beauty sleep. I don’t want to look like a wolf infront of them. I wanna look my best… But how the hell am I going to do that if I can’t get my eyes to close, or even blink! Well I exaggerated a bit on the blink part, but you know what I mean. I tried various attempts to fall asleep such as counting sheep, breathing deeply for 10 times, but nothing seemed to work.

 

There’s only one more thing I haven’t tried yet. Should I? Well, desperate times call for desperate measures, right? And just one glass wouldn’t hurt, would it? I opened the fridge downstairs and poured a full glass of milk. I sank into its goodness and creaminess. I had no idea that milk could taste this good. In the end, I drank two full glasses, and went straight to bed.

 

When I woke up, I felt like I couldn’t stand up. My stomach hurts like hell and I felt like throwing up. Is it because I drank too much milk last night? Or am I just too excited for EXO’s arrival? I didn’t know. All I knew was I felt so sick. This couldn’t be happening to me. Why of all times do I have to suffer a stomach ache right on the day that I’ve been anticipating for the past few months?! This just isn’t fair!

 

My parents drove me to the nearest private hospital for a check-up. It turned out that the milk I drank last night was spoiled. Why on earth was it still in the fridge if that’s the case?! Ugh. GREAT. JUST GREAT. Could this day get any worse?

 

Doctor: She will need to stay here for a few more hours so that we can monitor her condition after intaking the medicine.

 

Me: What? But I can’t. I have to go to….

 

Mom: You heard the doctor, Bambi. You have to stay here whether you like it or not. Understood?

 

Me: But I…

 

Mom: Understood?!

 

Me: Ugh. Yes mom.

 

Mom: Good girl.

 

This day just got worse. It just did. I can’t imagine how this day could get even worser, if that’s even a word.

 

                       

 

 

“[INFO]

                       

EXO just arrived at NAIA III, 10:12 am. Their arrival caused a small stampede and hurt one of the members. Not sure whether it’s Sehun or Kai.”

 

KAI?! He got hurt?! My ultimate bias got hurt?! What kind of hurt?! How?! What?! Where?! Are they serious?! Okay, I’m literally freaking out. I wanna go to him NOW! I need to see if he’s okay! But how can I escape this damn hospital?!

 

I seriously couldn’t breathe as I imagined the many possible ways he got hurt. Is it like an injury? Or did he get wounded? Oh I hope nothing happened to his beautiful, gorgeous, precious, perfect face. Not to mention his manly cleft chin. I couldn’t get over this anxiety. I needed to go out for fresh air and maybe I’ll learn how to breathe again.

 

As I stepped out of my room, there was a group of giggling nurses huddled up on the corner, peeking at the lobby of the hospital. I wonder who they’re fangirling this time? Nah, it’s probably just one of those local cute guys…

 

The lobby was too crowded so I decided to just go back to my room and take a power nap. I was about to step back, when I heard something.

 

Guy: Arasseo.

 

Did he just say arasseo? As in the Korean word for understand? What? My head suddenly began to spin so I laid helplessly on my bed.

 

Then I heard a knock on the door.

 

Me: Come in!

 

The door opened and… I felt my eyes popped out like my eyeballs fell off their eyesockets. This couldn’t be true. I must be hallucinating. Yeah, this probably is another side effect of food poisoning… Or not!

 

EXO’s Kai is right in front of me. Kim Jongin, my ultimate bias, my life, my inspiration, my everything, is in front of me! My mouth is literally hanging open. I even felt myself drool. Hope he didn’t see that because it’s just plain embarrassing.

 

Manager: Kai-ssi, that’s not your room. Your room is on the other side.

 

Kai: Ah, nae! Mianhae!

 

He looked at me, bowed his head and smiled at me. He FREAKING SMILED AT ME! And all throughout our encounter, I just sat there on my bed and my mouth was still hanging wide open!

 

I tried to process what was happening. It’s such a good thing I learned to speak and understand a little Korean from the free Hangul lessons I attended every weekend starting last month. Thank God I was ready for this!

 

Kai turned around and went inside the room right in front of mine. I closed my eyes and prayed really hard that they won’t close the door so that I could catch a glimpse of what he’s up to and how he’s doing despite of the stampede earlier. When I opened my eyes, the door was already closed. Oh well, I could always sneak into his room and pretend I mistook it for my room… Yes! Yes that’s it! I’ll do that!

 

When Kai’s manager left, I quietly sneaked out of my room and walked casually across the hallway. Infront of his room, I was rehearsing what to say to him for the past ten minutes. When I gathered all my courage, I took a deep deep breath and finally knocked on the door…

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

When Kai opened it.

 

 

 

Instead of knocking on the door, I accidentally knocked on his chest twice!!!

 

I didn’t know what to do. My fist was still on his chest, not seeming to want to move, as I was staring at him, and he was staring back at me with a weirded expression.

 

Me: I… I… I’m sorry… I… did –

 

Kai: Ah, gwenchana!

 

Like lightning, he bolted out of his room. Why did he run away? Don’t tell me he mistook me as a sasaeng?! Oh, God, NO! I’m not like that, Kai!!!

 

When he was running, I mean, walking away in a very fast pace, I noticed a bandage wrapped around his knee and he looked like he was hurting. I don’t know why, but my feet suddenly moved on their own, and before I knew it, I was running after him trying to reach out for his hand. Ugh. This makes me look like an obsessed fangirl, but I couldn’t do pretty much about it coz I couldn’t stop myself from running.

 

I reached my hand out to him, but in the process, I accidentally scratched his forearm. Oh my lord, I hate myself! I’m never going to forgive myself for hurting him!

 

A small amount of blood appeared from the scratch. I couldn’t bear it if he saw what I had done to him so I hid on the corner as he stopped and turned around.

 

Kai: Is anyone there? … I’m bleeding? Who did this?! Aiissh.

 

I ran to my room and looked for a first aid kit. Good thing I’m always ready when it comes to these types of accidents.

 

I brought out the bandaid with hearts on it and wrote “saranghae, oppa! –Bambi” in Hangul. Oh I hope I managed to write it well. I took a deep breath and went outside again, bringing along with me, the bandaid, cotton balls, and alcohol. I was ready to nurse him. I looked around but couldn’t find him anywhere. I waited outside his room for half an hour, but still no sign of him.

 

Boredom me so I decided to lurk around the hospital. I’ve got nothing else to do anyway. Besides, I’m stuck here for the rest of the day no matter what I do.

 

This hospital is quite huge. It’s not your typical hospital. It’s somewhere in between a hotel and a clinic. I have to admit, if this wasn’t a place full of sick people, I might want to live here for the rest of my life.

 

In the lobby, there’s a sala set, a huge mirror, and a grand piano. I haven’t played the piano for a while now and my fingers were itching to play it. Well, I guess other people wouldn’t mind.

 

I sat on the chair and played EXO’s Baby Don’t Cry. I put on a very solemn face and felt every note touch the very bottom of my heart. I closed my eyes and continued playing. The melody is really touching that I felt my eyes drop a tear or two.

 

I opened my eyes as I was about to finish. I glanced at the mirror and saw Kai leaning against the wall with his arms crossed and looking right at me. I don’t know, but I somehow felt relaxed this time. I even managed to smile at him without squealing, imagine that. He smiled back and walked towards me. I promised myself that I would keep calm but as he came closer, I felt like it’s getting harder and harder to breathe and the feeling of blood rushing to my cheeks is very disturbing and made me conscious all of a sudden.

 

Kai: Are you a fan of EXO?

 

Of course he talked in Korean. Why was I expecting to hear English words come out of his mouth? Free hangul lessons, don’t fail me now!

 

Me: N-Nae. I’m a huge fan of EXO. I love all your songs, I love your performances, your dance, your personalities, everything about you guys! I love all 12 of you, but Kai-ssi, I love you the most. S-s-saranghaeyo Oppa!

 

Kai: Jinjja? Waa, Kamsahamnida!

 

Me: Oppa, I.. I don’t know what to say. I’ve dreamt of meeting you my whole life, and now you’re right here in front of me. I… I just…

 

Bursts of tears fell from my eyes like a waterfall. I don’t know how to express my emotions of seeing him face to face for the first time except for crying my heart out.

 

Me: Oppa… Oppa… *sob*

 

He seemed like he panicked a little when I started crying.

 

Kai: Uljima! Please don’t cry! I don’t like it when girls cry.

 

He handed me his handkerchief and smiled. I took the handkerchief from his hand and I couldn’t help but notice the scratch I made earlier. It was still there. I held his hand and examined the scratch.

 

Kai: W-What is it?

 

Me: Oppa, I’m sorry for earlier. I violated your personal space… and I was also the one responsible for that. I’m so sorry. I didn’t mean to.

 

Kai: Oh, that. It’s totally fine, no need to worry.

 

Me: But… Let me at least clean it for you. I just feel so bad.

 

Without hesitation, I grabbed his arm and put some alcohol on it and placed the bandaid with my writing on it.

 

Kai: Haha. Kyeowo! Kamsahamnida! And… Is this your hand writing?

 

Me: Y-Yes. Ehehe.

 

Kai: Hmm. You’re not Korean, are you? Haha

 

Me: Umm… No… Why?

 

Kai: Your message. It’s kind of funny.

 

Me: Why, what does it say? :O

 

Kai: It says “I love chicken, oppa!”

 

We looked at eachother for 2 seconds and then both of us burst out laughing.

 

Me: I had no idea it says that! I guess those free hangul lessons didn’t apply to writing. Haha.

 

Kai: You took hangul lessons? Wow, that’s cool.

 

Me: You think so, oppa? Hihi.

 

Kai: Yeah…

 

He stared at me for a few seconds. I felt so conscious I imagined myself being as red as Sehun’s hair during the first couple of live performances of Growl. He kept staring at my face, then he reached out his arms, and suddenly wiped a tear from my cheek. I didn’t even realize there were still residual tears from earlier.

 

Kai: There. You’re not crying anymore. That’s good. 

 

Me: Uhh, eh, Hehe. By the way Oppa, how’s your injury? Does it hurt? Please be careful around crowded places from now on.

 

Kai: It’s fine now. Thanks, I’ll keep that in mind. 

 

His manager came back to pick him up and to take him to the hotel where EXO is staying. Kai bowed his head and waved goodbye. I waved back at him and smiled my widest smile ever.

 

Before going outside, he turned to me…

 

Kai: By the way, what was your message on the bandaid supposed to be?

 

Me: It was supposed to say “saranghaeyo oppa!”

 

I felt my cheeks become red from blurting out those words. Kai chuckled and smiled at me.

 

He went outside and before getting on the van, he turned to me once again and said…

 

Kai: Don’t cry like that again. A cute girl like you should never shed tears. Bye! See you again soon!

 

I wasn’t able to react to his words coz the van zoomed off.

He said I was cute.

Am I dead now?

My heart is fluttering.

I feel like I’m on cloud nine.