Chapter 2

A Not So Simple Vacation (On Hiatus)

So here's the new revised second half of the first chapter. Not that many changes but I'm now finally happy with it! Hope you enjoy it!


Peeking out from my shoulder Joe whispered a small arigato. The man’s smile turned into a full-blown grin as he watched my shy little brother burrow his face back into my shoulder. Watching the man grin at my little brother's cuteness I was once again struck by that feeling of familiarity, like I've seen his face many times before, but that just wasn't possible... was it?


I stared at his face, trying my hardest to figure out where I had seen him before. My attention was wrenched away from the mystery in front of me as I heard the deep voice of my father calling my name. Whipping around I saw him standing with Dylan and Amber, and I could tell he was furious. Quickly turning back to the young man I said, 

“I’m sorry I have to go that’s my dad, thank you again! Uhh I mean, arigato!” 

He just chuckled and waved his hands. “Neh, neh! No problem” he responded. Leaning forward he reached out and ruffled my brothers hair. “Bye Bye Joe!”

I quickly sketched another awkward bow before I turned and jogged off towards what I knew would be a long lecture about leaving my siblings alone. As soon as I got into earshot the ranting began.

“What were you thinking!” My father fumed. “Leaving Dylan and Amber alone in the hotel lobby, what gave you the idea that was alright? Explain yourself Mikayla!”

Oh crap he used my full name. This is not good.

Taking a deep breath I put down Joe, gathered my argument and started explaining how Joe decided to run off and how I knew I would find him faster if I didn’t have Dylan and Amber with me.
“Plus,” I stated. “I didn’t leave them alone, that lady over there promised to watch them for me.” I gestured to the receptionist from earlier and she smiled and gave a soft ‘hai’ to my father and a quick bow. Not giving my dad a chance to make a retort I continued on. “I was worried that something might happen to Joe if he was left alone, luckily a young man found him… well maybe Joe found him since he was clinging to the guy like a koala and the guy seemed to feel very awkward about the situation” I mused.

“Wait hold up” my dad interrupted. “What young man?”

Pointing I said, “The guy in white pants and sunglasses.” before turning to look at the man again. I was surprised to see more people had gathered around him.

All of them were wearing sunglasses. The tallest one was wearing a pageboy cap and a turtleneck (a turtleneck in summer, is he crazy?) and the shortest one was wearing a snapback had a medical mask over his mouth. A slim guy in a beanie seemed to be taking to a very plain looking man (compared to the rest of the guys who seemed to be all dressed like freaking supermodels). The only one without a hat or mask was the blonde one who seemed to be zoned out, listening to music. The guy from earlier seemed to be explaining something to his friends if his large hand gestures were of any indication.

Something about these four new men gave me the same feeling that I got with "V" (as I had dubbed him in my head because of his fringe). Like I knew them from somewhere, but that made no sense. I had only been in Japan for a couple of days; there was no way I had seen them before since they were only just checking in.
Shaking my head I turned back to my dad and waited. Sighing and pinching the bridge of his nose he said,

“Alright, fine. Since nothing happened I won’t make a big deal of it.” My shoulders which had slumped in relief tensed up again as he said, “However, since something could have gone terribly wrong, sometime over this holiday you’re going to have to do babysitting duty, looking after your siblings properly this time. No arguing.”

Babysitting. I could do that, better than being grounded on a holiday. I thought as I nodded my acceptance.

“And Joe, we’re going to have a long talk about running off once we get to our room you hear me?” My dad said as he grabbed onto the twins’ hands, leading them to the elevator with Amber trailing behind them. I followed but paused as I heard laughter behind me. Turning around I saw the group of four guys laughing at something "V" had said. Seeing that I was looking at them, he grinned and waived in my direction, causing his friends to turn and look at me. Giving a shy wave back I was surprised when he grinned even wider and blew me a kiss. Before I could do anything though I heard a deep voice grunt,

“Yah, Maknae” before the tall one gave a light slap to the shorter’s head.

“Hyung” he whined, holding his head.

‘Maknae? Hyung?’ I thought, even more confused as I stepped into the elevator behind my sister. 'That was Korean. But 'V' spoke to me in Japanese earlier but then he spoke Korean with that other guy. So is he Korean or Japanese? Or maybe he's mixed?' Ugh I always over complicate things, this is too confusing, I’ll just forget about it. 'I’ll probably not see them again anyway, this hotel is huge, what are the chances that I’ll run into them again’ I thought.

As I turned to face the elevator doors I saw that beanie and plain guy were leading "V" and his friends to the reception desk. As the elevator doors started to slide shut the tallest one suddenly turned and even though he was wearing sunglasses I could feel him looking right at me. Seeing me still staring he quirked up an eyebrow before turning to follow his friends. As the doors slid shut, removing them from my sight I got the funny feeling that my simple vacation was going to get a lot more complicated.