Eight

A Beautiful Distraction

Eight.

Hangover cure.

 

Has she ever fallen in love?

A sober Kyuhyun would probably never ask something so straightforward like that, but still, he seemed to be waiting for her answer.

Seyoon answered honestly. “I... I don’t know.”

He didn’t say anything afterwards, only relishing her somewhat calming presence in his arms. Seyoon pressed her closed eyes into his shoulders for a moment, just to relieve the stinging sensation in them, before patting his back and reluctantly pulling away from his warmth.

“Come on, I’ll take you home.” She helped him stand up and limped with him to the exit.

He might seem still sober, but judging by the way he kept stumbling and swaying heavily from side to side – almost falling into her on their way out several times – she knew that he was completely drunk. Wasted, even. It was a miracle that he could speak coherently to her.

When they met Junho outside – his face looking irritated after waiting for her for his precious ten minutes – his eyes almost bulged out looking at the drunken man supported by Seyoon’s petite body.

Seyoon explained that the drunken man was her friend, and she had to take him home because of his very-drunken state. Junho looked less than happy when she finished explaining the situation to him.

He suggested that they sent Kyuhyun home with a cab, while he drove Seyoon home comfortably with his car. Seyoon frowned at him disapprovingly. She insisted that Kyuhyun shouldn’t be sent home alone, because it was dangerous.

By the time they reached the saturation point of the discussion, Kyuhyun had almost fallen asleep on her shoulder – his body getting heavier on her side – and Seyoon realized that Junho was subtly refusing to drive him home.

She knew why.

Junho’s sleek, European SUV was brand new, and he didn’t want a drunken stranger to throw up on the leather seat in the back of his car as he drove.

Seyoon sighed, leaning on a car beside her to help her support Kyuhyun’s body. He was getting heavier the longer she talked with Junho. And she bitterly noted that Junho didn’t even offer to help her keep Kyuhyun upright.

“It’s alright, we can take a cab.” She said, not unkindly.

Junho didn’t bother to argue anymore. “Are you sure?”

“Yes, thanks for dinner, Junho-sshi.”

“Any time,” he nodded, walking backwards to his car. “I’ll call you.”

Seyoon just smiled tiredly. I prefer you don’t, she thought, deciding that she wouldn’t need a serious, long term relationship with such irresponsible guy.

Sure, Kyuhyun’s drunken state wasn’t Junho’s responsibility, but wasn’t he at least supposed to make sure that his date went home safely? He could have called a cab for them or wait until Seyoon got a cab herself. But he didn’t. So much for being a gentleman.

Seyoon finally got a cab after five minutes of waiting, and she settled herself with Kyuhyun in the back seat, politely telling the driver the directions of her apartment. They were halfway to their destination when she was reminded that she was supposed to take Kyuhyun to his home, not hers.

Oh God, couldn’t her stupidity have taken a break from her brain just for a while?

“Kyuhyun-ah,” she shook his body gently to wake him up. “Kyuhyun-ah,”

“Mmm.” Was his answer.

“Where is your home?”

He looked like he had fallen back asleep, because he didn’t answer for a long minute. Seyoon had to call his name again and nudge him in the ribs.

“Don’t know.” He murmured on her shoulder, seemingly still soaked in drunken sleep.

“Um,” she bit her lip. “Where is your wallet then? I can check your ID if that’s okay. Or where is your phone?” maybe she could call someone in his contact list to pick him up while he slept and sobered up in her apartment.

He nuzzled further into her shoulder. “Don’t know. Don’t care.” He replied.

Seyoon gulped. She was about to bring a guy – a very drunken one – to her apartment then. She never did that.

Oh God. Should she call Karen and ask her what to do?

“Stop shifting,” Kyuhyun commanded sleepily. “I’m comfy.”

“Oh. Okay.” She stopped, only to transfer her nervousness into fidgeting with her fingers.

When they finally reached her apartment, the doorman opened the door of for her and greeted her, his eyes widening slightly when he caught the sight of sleeping Kyuhyun leaning into her side.

He helped her with Kyuhyun’s sleeping form to the elevator after she paid the cab driver. He asked her if they needed to bring the inebriated guy to the 8th floor as the doors slid close, and his eyebrows furrowed when Seyoon pressed the button for floor 12.

“I live in the 12th floor, Gilsuk-sshi,” she reminded the doorman with a small laugh. “He’s just going to spend the night there.”

The doorman’s eyebrows rose high at her statement... before he shook his head with something very akin to an understanding smirk. Seyoon, failing to grasp the reaction, just laughed again and stepped out when the lift stopped at her floor.

She thanked him after the doorman had helped her lay Kyuhyun on her couch.

“Have a good night, Miss Im,” he bowed to her walking back to the elevator.

Seyoon smiled back and waved, but something was lingering in his tone and she couldn’t tell what it was. Shrugging, she went back to check up on Kyuhyun and found him still lying on his back, his hands grabbing his head.

She heard him groan from his position on the couch, and her face instantly broke into a bright, relieved smile just by hearing his voice.

He’s awake!

She marched up to his side, kneeling on the floor beside him. “You’re awake! Oh my! Why are you holding your head like that? Are you ok-”

He held up a hand, effectively cutting her off. “I’m sorry but can you please. Stop. Screaming?” he drawled really slowly in a lowered voice, eyes still clenched shut. “And can you please stop this room from spinning like hell? My head is only inches away from bursting into pieces now.”

Seyoon’s forehead wrinkled. “I wasn’t screaming,” she pouted. “And the room isn’t spinning. You’re just way too drunk.”

“,” he muttered, massaging his head. “I’m never touching alcohol again then.”

She nodded her head thoughtfully. “Good. A bad hangover like this should teach you something.”

“Yeah,”

“So don’t drink anymore. I hate it when my friends drink alcohol.”

 “Hmm.”

“You’re a doctor anyway. You’re supposed to know the bad effects of alcohol to your body.”

Seyoon realized she had started launching herself into blabbering again, and that now she was tugging very hard on her hair. She couldn’t help it. She was nervous, even around a drunken Cho Kyuhyun.

She didn't like it. Her feeling was growing way too fast for her liking.

“Okay,” the start of annoyance slipped into his tone. But Seyoon couldn’t stop .

“People usually have their excuses to drink it, you know; works, relationships, unpaid school fees, etc, etc. But I honestly don’t think there is any justification to-”

“Right. Okay, woman. I get it,” he said with a wince, opening one eye to see her. Both of his eyes then fluttered open and softened when they met hers. “I get it. Now just... shut up. Please. Your voice is not helping the loud banging in my head.”

“Oh!” she cried suddenly, making him almost jump and press his fingers into his temples even harder. “You need a hangover cure. I think I have it somewhere in one of the cabinets. Hmm, where does my housekeeper put them?” she thought out loud.

“Hey,”

“Yes?” she smiled at him.

“You’re not going to shut up, are you?”

Her eyebrows knitted, feeling affronted. She sputtered defensively. “But I just... I didn’t... I was just trying to-”

She didn’t get the chance to finish her words, nor did she have the time to react when a pair of hands suddenly shot out to cup the back of her head, yanking her head towards him and a split second later she found her lips sealed shut by his.


 

[A/N] I guess this story won't be so short after all ^^