Two

A Beautiful Distraction

Two.

Asian Eligible Bachelor Number Two.

 

Why did the name Cho Kyuhyun sound so familiar to her?

Im Seyoon found the answer the next day, and she decided to let him know.

“I know you!” she exclaimed when he opened the door to her room, a giggle burst out from her when she saw him jump a little in surprise. “I know you.” she repeated gleefully.

Kyuhyun offered an amused smile to her as he walked up to the end of her bed, as usual, checking the clipboard attached to it. “Well, I’m glad you know me. Because I believe I have introduced myself to you as your doctor yesterday.”

“No. I know you.” she insisted. “You’re Asian Eligible Bachelor Number Two.” Abruptly, he stopped everything he was doing.

“Uh,” she must have grown another head to have him stare at her like that. “I’m what?”

“Asian Eligible Bachelor Number Two.” She giggled at the expression on his face. “And you’re my mom’s favorite. My mom adores doctors so much. And so do I, actually. I always think of doctor as a really great profession. Doctors are cool, doctors help people. If it wasn’t for my limited intelligence, maybe I would’ve wanted to be a doctor instead of a designer. I-”

“Seyoon-sshi,” Kyuhyun finally decided to cut in, her digressing was making him smile unconsciously. “Thank you for the compliment, but what is Asian Eligible Bachelor Number Two?”

She was looking far too cheerful for a hospitalized patient. “Oh. Asian Most Eligible Bachelors. It’s just a title my mom gives to a list of males who she thinks are, well, eligible bachelors. And you are the number two in the list. So you’re Asian Eligible Bachelor Number Two.” She concluded casually. “You see, my mom has this list that sort of consists of well off guys with mind-blowing achievements. Like you, for example, you’re the heir of Hyunsang International Hospital Group and were nominated as one of the best doctors in South Korea. You got the highest rank for your score in that doctoral test a few years ago and-”

“Okay,” he had to cut in again, starting to look a little wary. “And how did you know all that?”

“My mom has her sources.” She shrugged lightly, as if explaining her mom’s stalking technique to him wasn’t supposed to creep him out. “She has researched about the guys she included in the list.”

“And she did it because...?”

“Because she decides to think of herself as my cupid. She wants me to choose one of them-” she paused and looked pointedly at him a little accusingly, “One of you, to be my husband. And now she’s currently trying to matchmake me with... Asian Eligible Bachelor Number Four... Can you believe her? I don’t even remember his name!”

Ah, so that’s why she was avoiding her mother. A runaway little heiress. How cliché.

Finally getting her point, he laughed.

“You don’t want to get married to one of us?” his teasing tone stopped her little rant and brought a warm blush to her face.

“I, um, of course I do. I mean, you guys are all great guys, though I should say some of you could be a little arrogant sometimes. But I just think I’m still too young to get married and think about marriage.” She huffed.

She told him how her mom often set her up on dinner dates with the guys on said list and how she had fallen asleep in practically every one of them – and that she actually felt sorry for them because she was always hardly listening to whatever they were saying about their businesses. She said it was rude of her, but she couldn’t help that their topics just bored her.

Kyuhyun eyed her with interest as a small smile made its way to his lips. She was talking so comfortably it was like she was talking to an old friend.

What a unique patient, Kyuhyun thought.  Doing a medical check up on her was probably the highlight of his day.

It had been a ty day for him really. He had been scolded by one of his patient’s family because the patient started throwing up after they fed her – even though he had clearly told them not to; his mom had been less than happy with him because he told her he couldn’t come to tonight’s family dinner because he had a night shift; and he had been constantly reminded of a certain girl that had taken a hold of his heart, the girl who just got back with her ex-boyfriend and was now going to Jeju with him.

Life was taking its toll on Kyuhyun, but somehow having a light yet confusing conversation with Im Seyoon made it seem a little easier.

He might not have realized it, but her chirpy mood had gotten to him and he was smiling even though he didn’t understand half the things she was saying.

And to think it was only his fourth day meeting her...

Seyoon was currently rambling about her mom again when Kyuhyun cut her off for the third time.

“Seyoon-sshi,” he said, and she looked up from tugging her hair. She didn’t seem to mind him keep cutting her mid-speech as she was smiling brightly at him.

“Yes?”

“Do you want to have a dinner date with me?”

He didn’t know why he blurted it out that way. He didn’t exactly mean to say dinner date. But he wasn’t going to correct himself, he decided, because the facial expression Seyoon wore right then was beyond amusing.

She froze at this, and he could practically see the path of redness spreading from the base of her neck to the top of her face. Her pretty hazel eyes were wide with shock and her small lips were slightly agape.

She gulped, and blinking a few times, looked back down to where her delicate fingers were playing with her hair. She started tugging at her hair a little harder.

“I... um...”

“I’m going to buy some take-out and then we can have ice cream for dessert. My treat.”

Her eyes abruptly brightened with sudden excitement. “Can I have the tiramisu flavor?” Kyuhyun nodded. “Sure!”

Kyuhyun had to laugh, it was just predictable for girls, especially girls with undying mood like hers, to be the biggest fans of ice cream.

Meanwhile, Seyoon was left to stare at him as he laughed, feeling the pleasing warmth spreading in her stomach. She felt her cheeks get hotter and she bit her lip to hide the wide grin.

She was going to have another dinner date with an Asian Eligible Bachelor, not to mention one that was her mom’s favorite. Her mom would be so pleased to hear this, she thought with a little grin.

This time round, though she didn’t realize it, there was a difference; Asian Eligible Bachelors don’t usually have this kind of effect on her.