Nine

A Beautiful Distraction

[A/N] I know. Late update again after leaving such cliffhanger. I have no excuses sorry >.< 


 

Nine.

P.s: Guess who just got a new neighbor?

 

Seyoon’s eyes went as wide as saucers and her heart slammed painfully against her ribcage, as if trying to escape the confines of her chest. For a moment there, she froze on her spot, the palm of her hands spread on his chest, her body bent awkwardly over his form. Seyoon squeezed her eyes tightly.

This couldn’t be happening. Right?

She was now asleep on her bed, waiting for Kyuhyun to wake up on her couch with a really bad hangover. She was definitely not sprawled across his upper body and kissing him.

She was just dreaming this.

It wasn’t real. Right?

No, it wasn’t. It couldn’t be real. How could it be real?

Seyoon was forced out of her self-reassurance when a pair of soft lips started moving against hers.

Oh... oh good God.

It was really happening!

She could vaguely taste the sweetness of red wine in his lips, and his hands behind her head were keeping on his, making it hard for her to back away... not that she wanted to. It was kind of good actually. But she had started to feel dizzy.

Oh God, she was kissing Cho Kyuhyun.

He was drunk, and it felt like the drunken sensation had been transferred through their fused lips, because her surroundings had begun to spin in her vision, too.

After a while, she felt him break their kiss, staring at her for a long moment with his hooded, darkened brown eyes, keeping his hands on the sides of her head. Seyoon was trying to fill as much air as she possibly could into her tortured lungs, meeting his brown gaze with her big, hazel ones. He was just as out of breath as she was.

“Much better,” she heard him murmur between small gasps, almost inaudibly, the corner of his lips tipping upwards ever so slightly. “And you’re distracting me again.”

She lost her ability to speak for a moment, but the second his words registered in her mind, her brows drew together. Distracting him again? What did that even mean?

Her lips were reddened and her cheeks were flushing furiously, but it was her starry eyes that made him want her more. They always intrigued him, they always distracted him – drunk or not.

It was like an instinct. He pulled her back down into him, kissing her once again, very softly and slowly as if they had all the time in the world. He kept her close to him, again and again, until she was lost in him.

It was after their fourth kiss that Seyoon finally felt his hands loosen behind her head, and his lips stopped moving over hers. Seyoon froze in her place for a second. And then, with terribly shaky hands, she tried pushing herself up and pulling away from his face, only to find him fast asleep under her.

He fell asleep in the middle of their kiss.

It was only then that she realized her face was burning hotly. Her brain was going through a major, severe malfunction.

She slowly removed his hands from her shoulders and placed them on his stomach, even though it was becoming a hard thing to do since her whole body had turned boneless like jello.

When she was done, she stayed seated there on the floor beside him, only turning away to lean her back on the front of the couch. She was completely dazed. She pulled her legs close to her body and stared at the space in front of her, trying to figure out what exactly had just happened.

 

Kyuhyun woke up with the hangover of his life when morning came. He opened his eyes carefully, shielding them with his hand to avoid getting momentarily blinded from the morning sunlight. He rose slowly from his position and sat up straight, massaging his throbbing temples. The effect of alcohol was still lingering heavily in his system.

Confusion and relief crossed his face when he found himself waking up in his apartment, though the thought was quickly vanished away when his burning throat reminded him of his desperate need of water. He looked ahead of him where his kitchen usually was, preparing to get up from the couch to get himself a glass of water.

He halted mid-way when he saw the floral pattern on the white fridge.

Weird. Even in the middle of this chronic hangover, he knew his fridge was black, and it absolutely didn’t have any pattern on it.

He took a one-eighty turn of his head to look around the apartment, and his frown deepened when he saw a bunch of white calla lily flowers in a tall vase on the coffee table.

Well, he definitely never placed any kind of flowers in his apartment. And that coffee table was not his.

He looked down to where he sat.

And this white couch was not his either. His couch had black leather, not some broken-white, fluffy fabric.

Finally, his eyes landed on a girl sleeping on the floor beside him.

Not just a random, sleeping girl, but one that made his eyebrows rise high and his eyes opened wide.

Im Seyoon was lying sprawled on the floor.

He quickly racked his brain, trying to remember what happened last night, but his head throbbed painfully and suddenly the tall glass of milk on the table was glaringly noticeable to him. He groaned. As much as he hated milk, he knew that was the best beverage that could get rid of the hangover and solve his thirst problem. And Seyoon must have prepared it for him.

He downed the whole glass with quick, big gulps, feeling the warming sensation of ginger in his stomach. He almost recoiled, grunting. He was never getting drunk again.

He sat there on the couch, not quite sure what to do next. Suddenly he remembered something that made him get drunk in the first place.

Oh crap. Nana was going to Jeju tomorrow!

His consciousness sprung to life, and he shot up to his feet patting his pockets frantically. No car keys, no wallet.

Damn it. How wasted was he last night?

This was going to be his last chance to determine whether he was going to let her go or not. He still couldn’t decide, and, oh God, she was going to Jeju with her ex-boyfriend-but-soon-to-be-boyfriend-again tomorrow! Maybe he could decide that when he met her.

Kyuhyun tried sidestepping Seyoon’s body, before stopping short and looking down at her. He wasn’t going to leave her just like that, surely?

Sighing, he picked her up with ease and put her on the couch – because tucking her into her bed means he would have to enter her bedroom and it was somehow inappropriate for him – and went in search for a small piece of paper. He found some sticky notes near the home phone and ripped one off, hastily writing something on it. And with one last glance at her face, he was gone from her apartment.

 

Thank you for letting me sleep here and nursing my hangover, Seyoon-ah. I have something to work on, I’m sorry I couldn’t stay this morning. But I’ll be back.

P.s: Guess who just got a new neighbor?

-CK

 

Seyoon woke up on her couch late this morning, alone, and found a piece of hot pink sticky notes pasted on the empty glass on her coffee table. The events of last night abruptly came back to her mind.

The drunken Kyuhyun, his question about ever being in love, the kiss, making him a glass of milk with ginger for his hangover, the kiss again...

And that was the message that he left in the note.

His hand writing was a little messy, which wasn’t weird because he must have been writing it in the middle of his hangover. But only looking at that hand writing made her heart stir quietly.

Because it means she wasn’t imagining or dreaming last night.

And what did he mean by ‘Guess who just got a new neighbor’? Was he still drunk enough that he slurred his words when he wrote them?

Seyoon had been considering calling Karen to tell her about the kiss and pleaded for advice about what she should do when he came back, because she had to admit this – she was completely inexperienced in the love department.

That is if what happened between Kyuhyun and her could be classified into ‘love department’ at all.

But in the end she decided not to.

She wasn’t even sure if Kyuhyun remembered the kiss. He was drunk, for God’s sake. He could be kissing a wall if she wasn’t there; or if she had shut up before he made her.

 

From the afternoon through evening, Seyoon busied herself by making trays and trays of French chocolate éclair. She had learned making the dessert since she was in high school, and found that making them was actually the best way to distract herself whenever she was upset or, well, when she just simply needed distraction.

She paused in the middle of stirring a bowl of chocolate, frowning as another thought of him made way into her head.

And what did he mean when he said she was distracting him again anyway? Given that he was drunk. But would a drunken person blurt out random things like that?

Well, he probably would. And Seyoon was probably just thinking too deeply into it.

Seyoon looked down at the bowl of chocolate in her arm, sighing.

And probably this chocolate-éclair-distraction was no longer effective for her, after all, considering how she was still thinking about him.

It was a little before ten when Seyoon heard the doorbell rang. She moaned quietly, lifting her face off an empty tray. Apparently she had fallen asleep on it while waiting for her hundredth tray of chocolate éclairs in the oven.

Rubbing her eyes with her fist, she walked to the front door, wondering who would come this late night. It was probably just the doorman or a staff, because anyone from the outside would have to be buzzed in to be able to ride the elevator up to the apartment floors.

So imagine her shock when she pulled her door open and found Cho Kyuhyun standing there with a bunch of calla lilies in his hand. He was still wearing the same clothes as he did yesterday, his expression a bit off behind that small smile. Then he spoke with that gentle voice.

“I hope this is not a bad time to visit a neighbor.”