Six

A Beautiful Distraction

Six.

Unanswered questions.

 

Seyoon rose from her bed Saturday morning, feeling a little exhausted from a restless night. It has only been  less 24 hours since she settled in her apartment, the place was still foreign, so she couldn’t avoid that weird insomnia from coming over to her and haunting her into a sleepless night.

Now, after the umpteenth time glancing at the digital clock on her bedside table, it was finally 06.00 AM and she thought it was the time when normal people usually wake up.

Sitting up on her bed, she looked around her new apartment. The place was foreign and eerily silent. She probably should have seen it coming, but her mom really did buy her a place too big to be lived alone.

A family consisted of parents and three kids could have lived there comfortably. She even found that the fridge and cupboards already filled with foods and beverages and all that stuff. The toiletries looked expensive. The flower buckets in the foyer still looked fresh, and a helper was already hired to come cleaning the enormous place every three days.

She sighed. So her mom really was growing her up as a princess. What’s new?

Shrugging it off – because she knew she couldn’t do anything about it – she pushed her blanket from her body before doing her morning routine. She took a shower, had a breakfast, browsed through the internet, watched TV, but everything became boring so quickly to her. Being alone was never fun. Her eyes strayed up to the clock above her LCD just so she had something else to do.

10 AM. Usually he would come into her room for a daily medical checkup at this hour.

She hadn’t seen him since Thursday evening. He didn’t even come to her room yesterday when she was released from the hospital for her last medical checkup. A stern, middle aged nurse did it for him.

She sighed.

What is he doing now? Why did he suddenly disappear? Did he notice that she had went home by herself? Was he-

Seyoon halted the rambling of her thought abruptly, blinking her eyes several times to shake the unanswered questions out of her head.

Oh God, she didn’t just think all that. She wasn’t that desperate. Or disappointed, for that matter.

Slightly worried with where her own thoughts had gone to, she reached for the phone and called her mom. She talked for a long moment with her. Her mom asked how her days had been in Korea and she answered honestly, leaving only the parts where she was hospitalized for a week, and of course, the parts where she met and talked and fell in like with her mom’s favorite, ideal son-in-law to be.

The call with her mom was ended by her having to catch her flight to Mexico. She must be on a business trip again. She sent a noisy smooch to Seyoon, which she giggled at, and then after exchanging ‘I love you’s the line was dead.

When it was forty five minutes to seven in the evening, Seyoon got herself ready for the dinner date with guy number four.

 True to her mom’s words, he appeared at her door exactly at seven. Maybe she should add it up to consideration as a good point because he was actually precise with his time– if she actually cared enough to do so.

“You look gorgeous tonight, Seyoon-ah.” Guy number four said as he brought the back of Seyoon’s hand to his lips.

Seyoon pulled on a smile but she was cringing inwardly. Since when did they agree to drop the formalities between them? She barely knew him – heck, she constantly forgot his name, because she’s been mentally nickname-ing him as ‘guy number four.’

Maybe she should stop that. Or maybe every ‘eligible bachelor’ that her mother has decided for her to date was going to have to put on a nametag or something at their dinner dates.

Like the other well-off guys she knew, Kwon Junho – he had finally re-introduced himself after Seyoon awkwardly asked his name for the second time – apparently had already made a reservation in a very pricey restaurant for them. It was Italian, containing a bar and billiard place, and the manager of the restaurant that welcomed them had greeted him by his name.

Surprises, surprises: Kwon Junho was the owner of the place.

The dinner was awkward and mostly it was him that did the talking; nothing new for Seyoon. The guy didn’t look like he was truly interested in Seyoon’s personality anyway. He was looking at her as if she was an expensive, limited jewelry he was determined to have.

It didn’t take a genius to figure out that what he had for her was just the shallow, typical attraction that she knew all too well most guys have for her.

Seyoon mentally shook her head in dismay. If only more people could choose to ignore her looks and background, focusing on her personality instead.

Junho was currently rambling about one of the private islands his family owned – with the mention of the price when they bought it and the amount of money they had to pay for the tourism business – when Seyoon lolled her head to the side to hide a yawn and was suddenly struck at the sight before her.

There, at the double doors of the restaurant, walked in Kyuhyun, looking impeccable in a green polo shirt and a pair of dark jeans.

And he wasn’t alone. He was with a woman his age who was talking rapidly to him. The woman was beautiful and smart looking, her hair shiny black, her dress shirt and skirt smooth without crinkles, and the heels of her stiletto collided with the marble floor as she tried keeping up with Kyuhyun’s strides, creating rhythmical clacking sounds.

For a moment Seyoon unconsciously tuned Junho out to watch the other pair, feeling dry.

They settled at the other part of the restaurant near the bar, and when Kyuhyun turned his head for a brief second in her direction to pull out his chair, Seyoon noted that there was something off with him. His brows were furrowing ever so slightly and his lips were pressed into a hard line. Seyoon thought he would catch her staring at him, but he didn’t, and it was enough to tell her just how preoccupied his mind was.

He lifted his hand to order a drink to the waitress. Seyoon couldn’t hear what he said, but she saw the woman snap her head to Kyuhyun with a sharp frown of disapproval, before turning her head back to the waitress and corrected his order. Kyuhyun seemed annoyed with this, because he rolled his eyes and looked away.

Seyoon watched as the woman sigh and put a comforting hand on his arm. She scooted her chair so she could sit closer to him, murmuring what Seyoon guessed were soothing words to him. Her facial expression was filled with worry and carefulness. When Kyuhyun turned his head back to the woman Seyoon could see how his eyes had softened considerably as they locked with hers. Unspoken words were exchanged from their gazes.

Watching this made Seyoon’s throat tighten and she quickly turned her attention back to Junho, who didn’t even notice or care that his date had tuned him out just now and that her face had turned as white as a paper. She forced out a laugh when Junho laughed at something he said himself, cringing when it sounded too fake even for her own ears.

 

 

 

Aw, poor Seyoonie :(

Thanks for reading anyway. Can you guys guess who the woman is? :)