6

Tired

The next morning my arm itched.

I tried not to think about is as I got ready. The house was oddly quiet, no one talking downstairs, no subtle hum of the washing machine, not a single footstep to be heard.

Perhaps they've gone out for the morning.

I breathed in deeply and fell to a coughing fit. My throat was dry and scratchy, and a cold glass of water refreshed my voice.

Sipping my drink, I walked through the house in search of any signs of my parents leaving. I eventually found a sticky note on the bathroom door, stating "we'll be back tonight. eat breakfast." in my mother's chicken scratch handwriting.

I hope they don't come back for a while. 

"Hyung!" Hyuk knocked heavily on the door. 

I went to open it, pulling my sleeve over my shorn wrist as best as I could, and was greeted by the grinning face of my friend. 

"Hey Hyuk-ah, what's up?" I squeaked, my voice feeling of sandpaper.

"It's time to go to school, you wanna walk with me?" He sounded elated, something must have happened that he wants to tell me about.

"Sure, just let me get my bag. And the leftover kimchi stew in the fridge, you can have it." I bounded up the stairs and into my room, grabbing the grimy red bag thrown over my desk chair. It felt heavier than normal.

I came back downstairs to find Hyuk shoving his face with my would-be breakfast. Better he eat it than me. 

"Come on, let's go." My words came out sadder than I intended them to, which is worse than a crack in my voice. 

"Okay, hyung, let's go!" Hyuk left the empty bowl on the counter and goofily marched out the door. He didn't notice.

"So you know how I went to karaoke with my class the other day?" I nodded. "Well, it turns out the new girl's dad works for an entertainment company, and she's gonna get us auditions!" Jumping up and down, squealing, Hyuk was ecstatic. He's always wanted to be in an idol group, and now he might have him chance. 

Wait... did he say us?

 

~~~~~~~

sorry for the lateness, i'm trying