The truth

Not What It Seems

Yoonji sighed as she sat up from her hospital bed. She had been in hospital for a week and three days, and she was anxious to get out. A very relieved Minhyun had visited her earlier. They had talked, laughed, and teased each other.

“I’m glad you’re alright, Yoonie. I wish I could stay, but I have to go to work in half an hour. Also, EXO told me to tell you that they want to visit you again before you are discharged. Is that alright?”
Yoonji’s smile, which was bright with happiness and mirth, slowly faded at the mention of EXO. To be honest she didn’t know what to feel about them being – being aliens and all with superhuman abilities.
“Yoonji? What’s wrong?” asked Minhyun, concerned at Yoonji’s sudden change.
“Nothing, I – but aren’t they busy, oppa? Surely they could rest up a lot more instead of visiting me, a mere fan.”
“Yoonji? I thought you were their biggest fan. Usually you would be jumping at an opportunity to see them.”
Yoonji winced. After seeing what they could do, I must admit I am a tiny bit freaked. And what about that weird experience when I was unconscious? Do I tell them about that too?

So many questions, so little answers.

“I – no, it’s not that, it’s just I’m afraid I’ll embarrass myself further in front of them.”
“Embarrassed? You? You are Chan Yoonji – Life extraordinaire! You’re confident as hell. You’ll be just fine."

"Thanks, oppa." she grumbled. "I'm the least confident person ever. But thanks anyway."

Minhyun winked. "You're welcome~" He checked his watch. "No seriously, I'd better go." 
"Alright, well, see you later then." said Yoonji. Minhyun smiled his good-bye and left the room, patting her head on his way out.  
Yoonji sighed, sinking back into the comfortable pillows of the hospital. She thought about meeting EXO again. And, once again, she was at a loss as to what she wanted to say. This is going to be extremely awkward. 

Lost in thoughts of EXO, aliens and space, Yoonji drifted off to sleep. 


-------------------------------------------------

She woke to see a very familiar face. A familiar and handsome face.

"Yoonji-yah? Sorry to wake you, we wanted to come by and visit," the face - she identified him as Chanyeol - smiled. Yoonji's eyes widened, obviously shocked to see him so damn close to her face. "I ... sorry for falling asleep," she muttered an apology. EXO smiled. "No need to apologise," said Suho. "We have something extremely important to discuss with you." 

"Woah buddy." said Yoonji, looking straight at Chanyeol. "Personal space, ever heard of it?" 

"Right, sorry." He backed off. 

"I figured you guys wanted to come back here. Mum told me you guys came to visit earlier." Sitting up slowly, Yoonji turned her attention to Suho. "And I have something important to tell you all too." 
"Oh! Would you like to go first, Yoonji-yah?" 
"Um, no, it's quite alright. I'd like to hear what you have to say first." 
Suho nodded. "Very well." He then turned to Kris. "Would you like to tell her?" 
Kris shrugged. "I don't mind." He sat on Yoonji's right. She craned her neck to meet his dark eyes with her own. 
"We ... twelve here are not of your world. We were sent here by our Elders back at our homeplanet." 
"Right ... and, out of curiosity, what is this planet called?" 
"Our planet is called Ormenidae, many light years away."

"Figures. It couldn't be in this solar system, could it? Unless there was a NASA conspiracy? Okay, sorry!" she hastily added, seeing the looks on EXO's faces. "Sarcasm is my defense mechanism. I apologise in advance when I start saying things sarcastically. I don't mean it fifty percent of the time." 

"Anyways," continued Kris, "Ormenidae, in a nutshell, is in a state of chaos. War has torn apart our planet so badly that by the time we came around, our Elders were extremely desperate for any kind of help." 

"I might be pointing out the obvious here, but what does all that have to do with you guys being ... idols? It - it doesn't make sense, man." 

"Well, if you stopped interrupting then maybe we would have gone to the point by now," snapped Suho. "So just listen, for Chrissake." 

"Okay, okay, geez." 

"And so, our Elders sent us here to scout the planet Earth and to ask your rulers for help in putting an end to our conflict in Ormenidae. But, when we arrived here, we arrived at the wrong place. We were supposed to go to a place called the US of A. And, in short, we became idols. I'm pretty sure I skipped some other pretty important details too but we're a bit short of time. And who knows how long we could stay here until our sasaeng fans find us. They always find us. They'd make pretty good Hunters if they weren't busy chasing us." 

"It was actually pretty ideal, us becoming idols," said Luhan. "Since nobody could possibly imagine what our intentions were. Who'd expect twelve pretty boys to be alien scouts if you smile and sing and dance enough to make female earthlings go wild?" 

"Don't forget male earthlings too, Luhan-hyung," snickered Sehun. "You make them go crazy too." 

"Shut up, Sehun-ah. Immature little ." 

"Wait, I don't get it, I don't get it at all. Perhaps it's because I'm dumb or something. Is the Government aware of your existence or not?"

"As far as we can tell, nope," answered Baekhyun.

"Well, you guys at your job. So now that you've told me this, are you going to, like, wipe my memories or something? Because I'm not gonna tell anyone - who'd believe me? I did say my silence was guaranteed should you guys explain yourselves, and you did. Wait, why am I believing you guys? I must be really ed in the head still or something. I must be on some strong as drugs, man." She squeezed her eyes shut and opened them widely again. "Wooh, this 's strong."

Kris rolled his eyes. "Yoonji, you are not on any drugs."

"But I must be since you guys are in my hospital room claiming to be aliens and the fact that ..." her voice rose into a hysterical note. 

"See? I told you she couldn't handle it," muttered Kris to Suho. "Look at her, she's on the verge of going mental."

Seeing this, the eldest, Xiumin, stepped in. "Yoonji, you need to calm down. You saw the three of us lift that beam. You saw Chanyeol and the fire. I know we tried to deny the proof right in front of you, but something tells me that it'd be futile to deny what has happened. And I usually listen to that 'something', 'cause that 'something' is usually right." 

"Okay then ... well, now it's my turn to talk and for you guys to listen." Yoonji straightened up. "So ... you know how I fell into a coma, seemingly without explanation, right?" 

"Right ...?" said Suho. 

"Something totally freaky happened while I was unconscious. I dreamed that I was trapped in a place called the Nothingness and that a voice was speaking in some sort of mumbo jumbo riddle and honestly I didn't understand a word that they were saying but what they basically tried to say is that my blood is going to save mankind, or something - and that it could only be done with me and twelve beings not born from Earth. I'm guessing what that means is that my 'destiny' - God, I hate that word - is intertwined with you guys. Got confirmation from the Universe itself. Woo-hoo." 

"Wait, so what exactly did the voice say?" demanded Kris. 

Yoonji shrugged. "That's all I can recall. I'm not trying to be unhelpful, in case you're wondering." 

The members of EXO, apart from Kris and Suho, were all staring at Yoonji with a mix of wonder and confusion. 

"It sounds like a very familiar prophecy ..." mused Suho, his brow furrowed thoughtfully. "I think I will consult the Elders. Because it sounds like the fate of your people is linked to the fate of ours." 

"So basically if my kind falls, so does yours? Or vice-versa?" 

"I don't know, Yoonji-yah. I'm going to have to ask the Elders." 

"It looks as though we're screwed." 

"Don't be such a pessimist, Yoonji-yah," smiled Chanyeol. "I'm sure that whatever happens, we'll all be just fine." 

"Ugh, optimists." Yoonji rolled her eyes. "So, what are we supposed to do? What am I supposed to do, exactly?" 

"I guess you'll have to stick with us. Like, really stick with us. We'll ask Taehyun-hyung if you could take his position just until we figure out what to do." 

"But he'll be out of a job! I don't think he'll do that." 

"He ... knows what we are. I'm sure he'll understand." 

"Well ... I don't know." Sighing, Yoonji looked up at the wall clock ticking to her right. It read 3:56 pm. "Don't you guys have somewhere to be?" 

"No. Our whole schedule has been cancelled in the light of what had happened last week." answered Suho. 

Yoonji nodded absently. 

"Are you ... alright with all this?" asked Kai tentatively. She glanced at Kai and said, "I'm just rolling with the punches at the moment. Ask me again when we have definite answers." 

"So when we contact the Elders, we'll come get you." said Kris. He held his hand out. 

Yoonji looked at it questioningly. 

"Your phone, Yoonji-yah." 

"Oh, right! I, uh, don't know where it is. How about I just give you my number?" 

"Alright." Kris pulled his phone out and Yoonji rattled off her number. 

"We'll contact you." 

"Thanks, Captain Obvious." 

"Look hyungs, we got to go," said Sehun, seeing the nurse approach. 

"See you later guys," waved Yoonji half-heartedly. 

"Bye, Yoonji-yah!" said each member as they filed out. 

Kai was the last to leave. He smiled at Yoonji but it faded when she looked away. 

"Yoonji-yah?"

"What." 

"Am I still your favourite member?" 

"Why does it matter?" 

"I ... "

"I don't feel like talking right now, Kai-ssi. I just want to go to sleep. We'll talk later, okay? Whenever your so-called 'Elders' want to show up." Yoonji to her side and shut her eyes, screaming internally. 

Kai looked at her for a moment. He understood her mood. 

To be honest, I'd probably react the same way. Maybe worse. 

He left. 

------------------------------

WTF I am such a bad author. I started this story, like, three years ago and only now I've added a new chapter. Should I even continue this story because parts of it are making me cringe. Sorry guys.