Shock

Not What It Seems

T

EXO stared at her, unable to hide their surprise. 

"Yoonji-yah, we can explain -" started Kris.

"Ooh, I sure hope so. Because what I saw in there was, to say the least, ing impossible! I can't be hallucinating, man, I can't be! So what's the deal?" 

"Um - I - how do we start?" Kris looked around desperately, imploring s for some kind of help. 

Suho stepped in. "Look, even if we tell you, you won't believe us anyway -" 

"- oh, you never know! Try me, just try me!" 

"Yoonji-yah, we need you to calm down, okay?" said D.O soothingly, holding his hands out in a gesture of calm. 

But Yoonji was having none of that. "Calm down, he says. CALM DOWN, he says. No, you , I will not calm down UNTIL YOU TELL ME WHAT THE YOU GUYS ARE, RIGHT NOW!" 

EXO took a collective step back, their eyes widening at the sight of the hysterical blonde girl. 

"Okay, you want to know what we are? We're aliens, Yoonji-yah. Aliens from another planet." snarled Kris, losing his temper and all rational thought.

"HYUNG!" gasped the younger members of EXO. They all turned to Yoonji, anticipating her reaction.

Yoonji was stunned into silence. She just stared blankly at them, unable to comprehend what Kris just said for a second. And then she began to laugh. Softly, at first, but growing louder and more hysterical with each passing second.

"Uh ... Yoonji-yah? Are you okay?" asked Chen, concerned for her mental state.

"Aliens," she gasped, clutching her stomach and laughing at the same time. "I was expecting something along the lines of government conspiracy ... genetic experiments gone rouge ... but this takes the ing cake. Aliens. Super aliens! What are you, descendents of Superman? Are you guys related to Starfire who hails from the planet Tamaran?" she laughed even harder. "Are you guys the Asian X-Men? Oh my gosh, that's ing funny, that is!" and she proceeded to collapse onto the pavement, much to the shock of EXO.

"I ... I wasn't expecting this kind of reaction." muttered Kris. 

"Maybe she has gone crazy." said Suho. 

She's a freaking nerd! thought Kai, watching Yoonji collapse even further into yet more spasms of laughter. She's taking this weird. 

The distant wail of emergency service alarms put a stop to Yoonji's fit of hysterical laughter. 

"Oh thank God - normal people!" Yoonji tried to stand up, but a strange paralysis started taking hold of her body, freezing her legs together. She fell back to the ground and was caught by Lay. 

Yoonji started to feel dizzy and out of control. She developed tunnel vision and could not focus on her surroundings. Dimly, she felt strong arms support her upper body and a cold but gentle hand on her cheek, tapping lightly on it. 

"Yoonji-yah ... are you okay ... ?"

Yoonji ...

Yoonji ...

What the-? Am I dying?

What the hell ...

...is happening to me ... 

-------------------------------

Yoonji found herself floating in a sea of stars. She felt neither cold nor warm - in fact all sensations of touch were subduded somewhat. 

"Yoonji ... Welcome to the Great Nothingness ..." she heard a voice, neither female nor male, whisper. 

"I ... where am I?" She asked aloud. 

The voice said, "You are at the heart of the Beginning. The birthplace of all Creation.Ginnugigap, Te Kore, The Nothingness. Everything began from nothing. And everything will end in nothing."

"Great ... so, why am I here?" 

"You have been chosen to bear a great burden ... your bloodline is of ancient lineage ... your blood will save your race ..." 

"I'm sorry, what? What do you mean my blood will save my race?" 

"The truth has been hidden from your family for generations ... and now the time has come to dispell the obscurity that hides your true self ..."

"Again, I'm sorry, but you're speaking in riddles." Yoonji wanted to move, but couldn't. She cursed her rigid state. 

"The End is coming for your world. Only you and twelve others not born from the Earth can save it." 

"Wait, hold on - are you saying that twelve other beings have to be from anywhere but Earth? But that doesn't make sense at all!" 

"This was all decided before your Earth was even a concept in the Darkness. You have already found the twelve. Your path will be clear after you confirm your destiny with the twelve chosen." 

"What do I have to do? Why me?" 

"Your answers are hidden in plain sight ... " the voice faded into the darkness. 

"Oh gee, thanks. That was totally helpful, man. Not!"

Yoonji looked around. The darkness was a deep black, and she could see the faint twinkle of distant stars, reminding her of the night sky of home. For a moment, she felt at peace with the Universe. She could feel the fabric of space and time rippling under her rigid fingers, could feel the darkness as a comforting weight. For a millisecond she considered staying here forever. 


No, I have to go back, she thought, sighing. Here I am floating around in the darkness ... I'm so weird. 

Suddenly, she felt herself once again swallowed by the heavy darkness ...

Only to find the light at the end of her tunnel ...

---------------------------------------------------

"Yoonji-yah! Oh, my precious daughter, are you alright?" 

Yoonji opened her eyes and saw her mother, worry and relief etched onto her face. 

"Mum?" She croaked. 

Yoonji's mother hugged her hard. "Oh, my Yoonie! You're alive! I thought you would never come out of that coma!"

"C-coma?" She looked around and found herself in a hospital room. "Am I in hospital?"

"Yes dear, you're at SNU Hospital. Minhyun-ah is getting some food. This is the first time he's left your side." 

"How long have I been out for?" 

"A week. The doctors couldn't understand why you've been in a coma for that long, but finally you are awake, and that's the main thing." 

The arrival of the nurse interrupted their reunion. "Mrs Chan, may I please see to your daughter? The doctor can't come in at the moment but he would like for me to check her vitals." 

Her mother's eye widened. "Of course! Don't let me get in your way." She then backed off into a nearby chair. Meanwhile the nurse checked all of her vitals. "Heart rate steady, breathing is steady, everything seems to be in order. The doctor will be in around ten minutes or so. Are you comfortable, Miss Chan?"

Yoonji nodded stiffly.

"Well, that's good to hear. I'll come back and bring you something to eat." the nurse left, clipboard held aloft in the crook of her left arm.

"Oh! You had some visitors earlier, dear." said her mother. She gave Yoonji a sly look. "Guess who they were?"

"I don't know ... who was it?" 

"It was all of Minhyun-ah's friends! EXO, your favourite group!" 

"WHAT? What were they doing here?" 

"They wanted to see how you were doing, dear. Oh, and that lovely friend of Minhyun's - Chen, or Jongdae, one of those names - kept Minhyun company. I don't know how they suddenly found the time - with them being idols and all. Huh."

"Oh."

"Yeah. What lovely boys." her mother smiled at her and started smoothing Yoonji's hair back. "I was worried sick, darling. You scared me." 

"I'm sorry, Mum." Yoonji leaned into her hand. "I promise not to do it again."

"Oh, you silly girl! That wasn't your fault. It was an unprecedented event, that's all. Life's a game of chance, and that it just happened, okay? Well, as much as I would really love to chat with my invalid child, I have to go back to work. I'm really sorry darling."

Yoonji smiled. "Oh, Mum. It's okay. At least I have Minhyuk-oppa here. Don't worry about it." 

"Okay, darling. I'll see you later, okay? I love you~" 

"Love you too0, Mum."

Yoonji watched her mother leave, and after a few minutes she slumped onto her pillows, her mind in turmoil.
 

She needed to see them as soon as possible to tell them what had happened. 

This is freaky, man.

-------------------------------------------