Chapter 4

She Did Not Know

Min laughed so hard that I contemplated hitting her over the head just to see whether she could still feel pain. I had to constantly remind myself that violence was not the answer in this little predicament that she was currently finding annoyingly hilarious.

“He said what to you?” Min managed to spit out through sharp inhales and exhales as she tried but failed to keep the laughter from attacking her brain again.

I scrunched my face up to express my lack of enthusiasm at the situation.

“Yeah exactly…I’m glad you find this hilarious” I said sarcastically.

 

You see, it was only a week ago that Hoya had suddenly reappeared in my life in the mini surprise of the century. I hadn’t been prepared to bump into this ‘old friend’, nor had I been prepared that I might actually long to see him again, to the point of possessiveness. He hadn’t turned up to ‘see me’ as he had said he would and I tried really hard not to turn into one of those girls that got upset just because a guy said that they would ‘call you’ and then they didn’t. I had gazed longingly at the door everyday and when he didn’t show I felt the disappointment rise every time, and if that wasn’t crappy enough – Myung Soo had not failed to notice just how disappointed I was about it.

 

“And so Myung Soo offered to help you out?” Min spluttered.

I nodded, “I know, how embarrassing right?”

Min cocked her head to the side and shrugged, “Well it doesn’t have to be all doom and gloom. At least Myung Soo is good looking. I wouldn’t mind spending that much time in his presence to be fair” Min muttered dazedly.

I buried my head in my hands and sighed, thinking back to the stupid proposition and why I even agreed to let it get this far in the first place…

 

You see, the proposition came about from one of those ‘Myung Soo moments’ again, where he had riled me up to the point where all my rational thinking just escapes out of the window and nothing is left but my stupid pride! As we were closing up that night, Myung Soo had spent most of the day unusually quiet. I hadn’t really thought much of it and actually didn’t mind his company so much when he wasn’t being a total .

“I could help you, you know” he said from somewhere behind me.

I turned to glance at him before returning to my table-wiping duties, “No it’s fine…I’ve nearly finished with these tables thanks” I said.

I heard him chuckle, “I didn’t mean the tables…” he muttered.

Without looking at him I went about rearranging the salt and pepper bottles and righted the menus before wiping my hands down my apron.

There was a slight pause before he said, “I meant that I could help you by turning you into a girl that mud wrestling guy would desire. You can have him eating out of the palm of your hands in no time…”

It was as if my ears were deceiving my brain, and it took me a few seconds to register what he had actually said. I spun around so fast that my hair slapped me in my face as I swivelled and frowned at him in confusion, “Excuse me?” I said, unable to work out whether he was for real or whether he was playing another stupid little joke on me again. But Myung Soo’s face was every bit as earnest as I had ever seen him.

“You heard me” he muttered, folding his arms across his chest.

“Why would you want to do that?” I questioned, eyeing him suspiciously.

Myung Soo exhaled loudly and looked out of the café window before shrugging and pushing his hands into his back pockets, “I don’t know” he muttered half heartedly, “It’s just that this past week, I’ve watched you stare at that door, waiting for that guy to appear and when he doesn’t turn up, you look…” he stopped, glancing at me briefly, before finishing off, “…somewhat sad…” he said. If I didn’t know him better I would have believed that he actually felt solemn as he spoke those words.

I huffed, “How do you know I've been looking for Hoya anyway?” I muttered, fully aware that I was beginning to blush again at the fact that he had seen right through me this past week.

Myung Soo smiled, “I told you…I’m good with reading how girls feel and plus, it’s annoying having to work with someone who is only half concentrating on her job because she’s so preoccupied with lover boy…it means that I’m doing your share as well” he added.

“That’s such a lie, I still do my fair share around here, thank you very much” I said hotly, folding my arms in defiance, “And he’s not my lover boy” I added, although the possibility of him actually becoming my lover boy made me feel excited.

“I don’t need your help” I said, swiping my hair behind my ears and turning my chin up insolently.

Myung Soo shrugged casually, “Yeah you do…” he refuted, “You don’t have a clue when it comes to boys…”

“I…”

He cut me off, “Yeah, yeah, I know what you’re going to say next, you’re going to deny the fact that you need my help and that you’re good at reading boys and then you’re going to start calling me a bunch of names…”

I flinched, “No I…”

He cut me off again, “I know, you’re then going to say, ‘No, you’re wrong…I wasn’t going to say that and blah, blah, blah…”

“That’s not…”

“True…” he said, finishing off my sentence perfectly and watching me smugly.

I clamped my mouth shut and concentrated on counting to ten, trying hard to calm myself down. He had hit the nail on the head with every single word, but dammit to hell if I was going to give him the satisfaction of knowing that.

Myung Soo shook his head and snorted, “Okay whatever,” he said, throwing his hands up in the air in defeat, “I shouldn’t have offered…I should have known that someone as stubborn as you would not take up my one kind act…you always twist things to make out as if I have some sort of agenda against you anyway…It can’t just be from the kindness of my freaking heart…”

“Fine” I said suddenly catching us both off guard and cutting his rant short.

Myung Soo frowned, "Come again?".

I shrugged nonchalantly, “Fine…” I repeated, “I’ll work with you to reinvent me”

As soon as the words left my mouth I regretted them…but the pure shock on Myung Soo’s face was enough to stop me from taking them back.

Ha! You couldn’t predict that I’d actually accept your proposition could you ! I thought to myself somewhat immaturely.

Myung Soo narrowed his eyes at me suspiciously, “Really?” he asked.

I turned my nose up in the air and immediately knew that I would come to regret this later on, but right now, I had my one woman show to put on…

“Yes…really” I uttered before sauntering away coolly, “You have my permission to help me” I said again, “Free of charge” I added before he could pull out the fine print.

I heard Myung Soo laugh as I tried hard not to break down in a panic attack or find some brown paper bag to breathe into. On second thoughts…where the hell are those brown paper bags?