Chapter 3

She Did Not Know

Myung Soo nudged me with his shoulder and I turned to glare at him, “What?” I hissed at him, feeling particularly grouchy on a Sunday afternoon. God I hated this job so much.

“Two o’clock…there’s a boy who has been staring at you for the last twenty minutes…think he might be your dream lover?” he whispered, laughing as I tried hard not to look towards the general two o’clock area.

“He has nice black hair…a cute smile…seems an alright height” Myung Soo muttered to me, as he served a plate of Red Velvet cupcakes to a group of school girls, who had problems coordinating their brains with their hands, as they tried hard not to grab Myung Soo’s arms as opposed to the plate he was offering.

I peered curiously out of the corner of my eye and felt my breath hitch. There was indeed a guy staring at me and he was cute!

“Oh my God” I muttered, far too quickly.

Myung Soo snorted, “Wow, I take it you like what you see over there then?” he said, his tone slightly patronising. I ignored him (something which I was particularly adept at doing these days).

“He’s walking over…” Myung Soo said, before smiling at the next female customer, whose breath, I swear, hitched, at the sight of his smiling eyes.

“What do you mean he’s walking over?” I whispered quickly.

“It means he is using his limbs to take one step in front of the other…in order to travel the distance of the…ouch, what the hell was that for?” he muttered as I kicked him in the ankles.

I took a steadying breath as the guy stood in front of me and smiled.

I cleared my throat, “Hi there, my name is Suzy, how can I help you?” I tried in my most professional manner.

The guy tipped his head to the side and studied me for a second, “Suzy…I knew it was you” he uttered causing my heart to palpitate. God I hope I wasn’t going to pass out. Was this the moment that I had been waiting for all my life? Where the man of my dreams suddenly falls into my arms and we will live happily ever after?

“It seems like you don’t remember me Suzy Bae…”

I blinked in confusion. This guy even knew my last name? I started to panic. Was he a long lost brother? A friend I couldn’t quite remember? I did a mental flick through of all the people I could dredge up from my Facebook acquaintances or “friends” but I just couldn’t place him or his face. Surely, a man this handsome wouldn’t be forgotten so easily right?

“Erm…” I gaped, rendered speechless and probably doing a good impression of a goldfish. Afterall, I had the memory of one for sure.

I could hear Myung Soo chuckle at my obvious unease, finding it highly amusing that I was struggling to string coherent words together to form a sentence.

“It’s me Ho-Won…Lee Ho-Won? You know, the boy who used to live next door to you and we used to mud wrestle together?”

…And it was then that the penny dropped and realisation kicked in. I think my mouth may have opened so wide that anyone within a five mile radius could spot my tonsils.

“Oh my God, you’re Ho-Won? Didn’t I use to call you…er…Hoya?” I said, shaking my head in astonishment, “Oh wow…!” I said, slightly unsure as to how I was supposed to act when the skinny boy who you used to mud wrestle with at ten years of age suddenly materialises into a gorgeous twenty-two year old man, who you may be developing a slight crush on.

“Yes, that’s me! How are you?” he asked, flashing me that pearly smile again, which may have gone straight to my knees and turned them into jelly!

“Yeah…” I muttered, “Great…like, what are you doing here?” I asked, slightly awkwardly.

“I’m working at my Dad’s accountancy firm just down the road…I’ve just come back from the States…Do you work here full time?”

I shook my head, “No…part time…I’m still studying”

Hoya nodded, “Now that I know you’re here…maybe we can catch up sometime?”

I felt myself break out in a cold sweat, “Yes that would be nice”

“Cool…so I’ll see you around” he said with a slight wave and a quick tip of the head.

I felt my cheeks flame up at the sight of his suit clad body retreat.

"I'm glad to have seen you again Suzy..." Hoya called just as he opened the door to leave.

I waved shyly. Oh my God I think I’m in love.

“Who’s this suit boy then?” Myung Soo asked, his breath tickling my ear.

I moved my head away and snorted, “What is it to you?"

Myung Soo grinned, “Your face has gone a beetroot colour…did you have a crush on him when you were mud wrestling?” he said, pulling a face at me.

I put my palms to my flaming cheeks to try and cool myself down.

“Wow girl have you like never dated before?” he said, raising an eyebrow at me questioningly.

That didn’t help my burning face. I squirmed under his watchful gaze. So what if I had never dated before? I just hadn't found the right man that's all (well, that's not all, but details are futile in this situation).

“None of your business” I muttered, unconvincingly.

Myung Soo frowned in surprise, “You haven’t dated before” he repeated again, this time, a statement instead of a question.

“Of course I have” I said hotly.

Myung Soo cocked an eyebrow at me sympathetically, “Oh man it was uncomfortable watching you trying to talk to this guy. I felt embarrassed for you...” he laughed, fanning his face in mock indignation.

Just as I was about to retaliate, a group of customers came in for the lunchtime run.

I huffed, “You act as if you’re a girl expert” I whispered to him, as I arranged a chocolate muffin and a carrot cake on a tray and tried to smile politely at the middle aged Uncle, who was too busy fumbling with his newspaper and suitcase to care that my face was twitching with annoyance instead.

“With a face like mine…I’m a total expert when it comes to girls and dating…”

I scoffed at his words and feigned puking, “Oh please…do you faint when you see your own reflection in the mirror?” I mocked, sticking my tongue out.

He smirked, “No…but I know plenty of girls who do. Anyway if you want to snag that mud-wrestler…”

“Hoya” I corrected him.

“Yeah whatever…” Myung Soo said, dismissively, “…You need to seriously match up to him”

I frowned, “Match up to him? What do you mean?"

Myung Soo sighed in resignation, “You are so clueless" he muttered, "Did you see that Armani suit he was wearing? And that Rolex on his wrist…limited edition that was” Myung Soo pointed out.

I tried to picture Hoya in my mind's eye again but all I could see was his pretty face.

“His shoes were real leather…” Myung Soo said, carrying on, "He's a rich guy...and his taste is obviously impeccable. You need to match that...or at least...have a..." he grimaced... "Some sort of style about you so that people would actually find you attractive"

"I can't match that...I'm a student and I work a part time job in a cafe...I'm poor, like you" I pointed out, unable to comprehend the fact that I was actually having this conversation with Myung Soo, of all people.

He eyed my clothes that were partially hidden under my apron, “Hmm...you don't have to be rich to look rich though" he said.

I frowned, "What's wrong with my clothes?" I asked, glancing down at myself.

Myung Soo snorted, "They're fine...if you were still twelve years old" he muttered.

...And for the rest of the day, I couldn't help but think about the story of Cinderella...and how she managed to find her Prince when she was reinvented by her Fairy God Mother...

 

Next time:

Chapter 4: Suzy's Big Plan to Snag her Prince Charming - Coming Soon!