Chapter 1

She Did Not Know

December 20th - 1994

“What will you like to be when you grow up Suzy Bae?”

“I want to be a Princess”

“And why would you like to be a Princess?”

“Because they are beautiful and they will find their Prince and live happily ever after”

“Will you live in a big castle?”

“Yes…and it will be magical…”

 

December 20th – 2013

“How on earth do you get to look the way you do and still be single? That’s like criminal”

I arched a less than impressed eyebrow at my forever best friend, who currently had her Converse clad feet up on my bed, “I’m just waiting for the right guy to turn up that’s all” I said.

Min snorted, “Oh please…are we still five years old and dreaming about white castles and unicorns? Listen to me girl; all those Disney films lied to us when we were little…”

“I just believe that there is someone out there for all of us…and that person is the perfect match” I said defensively

Min feigned illness, “Suzy Bae…I love you and all, but sometimes I just want to hit you around the head with a stick”

I huffed, “So shoot me…I’m an idealist…” I said, “And get your dirty feet off my bed…” I added, slapping at her shoes.

Min pulled a face and pivoted on her way out of the door, “You’re just a hopeless romantic…we seriously need to get you a boyfriend or something…”

I scoffed at her words; “No we don’t” I called after her retreating back.

“We’ll see about that bestie” she threw back at me, “And don’t be late for work…” she added, blowing me a kiss.

Oh crap…work!

 

*

Work…

No one loves to work. Work was a necessity to make sure that my bank account had enough money every month so that I could do the things I enjoy…like shopping and eating…and more shopping.

I can deal with working. As long as I knew that the expectation of money would be with me in a timely manner every month. Therefore I am happy to serve the customers and make hundreds of cups of coffee and serve copious plates of cake. I also wouldn’t mind sweeping the crumbs from under tables and chairs and I certainly won’t complain if particular customers were being a pain in the . I was mature enough and professional enough to deal with that kind of drama.

I, Suzy Bae was the Queen of compromise and patience. Call me Queen C and P!

But the one thing that made my work unbearably, horribly, utterly, totally and emotionally unsatisfying and truly terrible…was the fact that I shared my shifts with the devil spawn himself, Kim Myung Soo. Trying to have a conversation with him was like trying to pull my teeth out with a pair of tweezers...yeah you catch my drift! He makes me want to throw particularly large and hard objects at his head whenever he even attempts to talk to me...

 

“Does it really matter whether you find this so called perfect idea of a man?” Myung Soo said to me, grinning in that -eating way, which told me that he, was making fun of me once again. His obviously judgemental tone threatened to make me unleash all sorts of crazy on him. Instead, I chose to ignore his question.

Myung Soo chuckled and draped his towel over his shoulder, “Those Disney characters don’t really exist you know…Prince’s who come to rescue their beautiful Princess’s just want one thing from their lady’s…” he said, holding up a long and bony finger to emphasise his point, “…and trust me, it sure as hell isn’t love for all eternity…” he added, laughing when he realised I had turned a putrid colour.

“You need to get your head out of the gutter. Will you just shut up for one second? I’m trying to work here…” I protested futilely.

Myung Soo shrugged and carried on as if I hadn’t spoken, “How old are you again? I can understand little two year olds who dream of their Knight’s in Shining Armour…but aren’t you like nineteen or something? Being nineteen and being brainwashed by the Disney channel is pretty sad…” he muttered, frowning as if he had just made a massive revelation, "...and not to mention completely stupid. Who the hell believes in love at first sight, true love and blah, blah, blah anyway? It sounds more like a cheap girly novel or some ty online fanfic"

I huffed dramatically and impatiently, feeling less and less able to rely on my usual patience, “Yes okay, so what if I’ve been brainwashed by Disney…and that ing Fairytales give me hope of true love…so what?” I said, narrowing my eyes at him as he burst out laughing. 

“You just swore” he pointed out.

I frowned. Okay…I wasn’t expecting that kind of a reaction…

“So?”

“Princess’s and Disney characters don’t swear” he said, somewhat more seriously.

I shrugged, “So?” I repeated again.

He sighed, “So…it just goes to show that you’re not a Disney character nor are you a Princess in a Fairytale…You’re a human on Earth…wake up and smell the coffee. Back to reality Suzy Bae...”

"What has it got to do with you anyway?" I retaliated.

Myung Soo pursed his lips and then shrugged, "It doesn't..." he muttered.

"So why do you care so much about my love life?" I questioned.

Myung Soo chuckled and wagged a finger at me, "I think you're meant to say...a lack of love in your life..."

I picked up a spoon and was about to throw it at his head when he held his hands up in surrender.

"I'm kidding Suzy...God calm down" he said, grinning... "Sometimes you're just too easy to make fun of" he laughed, shaking his head.

 

See…I told you I disliked him…How could a man who was so infuriating and unromantic; possibly understand anything about true love?