The Eclipse

The Twelve Short Stories of Exomas
Ten men, scattered all along the Concert Hall's square, all gathered together to meet the one they loved. Few of them have arrived minutes early, others on time, some too late.
 
Kai, resting on the bench with the puppy tucked beneath his warm coat.
 
Kris, seated on the other side of the fountain with her portrait beside him.
 
Xiumin, atop the stairway of the Concert Hall invoking his frosty powers.
 
Chanyeol, three steps up with the ring box in hand.
 
Tao, just arriving short of the hour with his small gift.
 
Lay, slowly walking toward the square, the mixtape wrapped neatly in his pocket.
 
Kyungsoo, standing on the second step with his boxed confectionary.
 
Suho, posed next to a Christmas tree on the bottom of the Concert Hall steps.
 
Sehun, in the front of the fountain resting the bouquet in his right hand.
 
Luhan, on the top of the stairway making sure of the time on his wristwatch.
 
Each one of them prepared with their hearts, ready to give it all up to their significant others. Whole days, spent imagining this perfect moment. But...
 
Why is it that they wait in the cold for time to reveal the truth to them?
 
Within seconds of seeing that time has already passed, Tao lifts his powerful hands to turn back time. Even though the clock has been rewound, the certainty of fate destroys their hopes.
Sehun lifts the beautiful bouquet to smell it one last time. As he takes in the scent, footsteps are heard from the distance. A smile crosses his face as she sets foot into the square. It feels like time has stopped. The snow pauses in the moment. She's finally arrived. The bouquet falls to his side.
 
And she disappears from sight...
 
The cruel realization of the fact that she never agreed to come in the first place has struck all their minds. It was already too late to begin with.
What were they thinking?
That she would have lightly said yes to staying?
Madmen, all of them. They subconsciously brought themselves here -- tricked into thinking that they would have one more chance with the one they loved with all their hearts. Even if the time was turned backwards, their fates wouldn't have changed at all.
 
The neverending snow keeps falling.
 
They all look up into the star sprinkled night sky as a new moon replaces the old one. Tears begin to fall. Each one of them, releasing streams of heartbreak down their chilled faces. It's too late now...
 
Time goes back to normal and their stories are retold again.