Kai's Puppy Love

The Twelve Short Stories of Exomas
He's sitting here. Sad and lonely. Just like me.
 
Puppy.
 
Did I ever tell you how much she meant to me? Her chilly porcelain skin. Pale, glossy lips. Smooth silk-like hair. Fingers that fit perfectly into mine. Why didn't she stay?
In the dire moment that I felt like I needed her the most, she disappeared from my grasp. Our hands, once intertwined like vines, are no longer together...
I chuckle sadly, place my hands in my head, and begin to cry. It's like the pain travels and transforms into a salty liquid that flows from my eyes.
My head lifts to greet the small canine sleeping on the bed. Don't look at me in my foolish state, puppy...
 
Sigh...
 
Don't be afraid. I will find a good place. Not just for you -- but for the both of us. A place where happiness doesn't lie. Where the world isn't covered in a blanket of pain.
As I lie on my bed, I think of her. Do you think of her too? Do you think about all the things she could have done with you? All the good times you would have had?
 
Or is it just me...?
 
A whimper escapes your throat as you rest your head on the bed. Are you finally overcome with the same sadness as I, puppy?
Come on... It's time for us to go...