Pt. 3

Not Just a Fried Chicken Girl

“Mom we’re home.”

My mom sticks her head out from behind the kitchen door, “oh good the tow of you made it.”

I look at the time and sigh, “It’s barely 2 in the afternoon mom if anything we’re really early.”

June nods her head and asks, “Anyways where’s big bro?”

“He said he had some work to finish at the office.”

I nod my head and see her holding an envelope in her hands.

“Mom, what’s that?”

“Oh it’s a letter from that school that you took a test with last week.”

I take it from her and stare at it, “Are you going to open it?”

“Yeah, just give me a moment. I know they said a week or 2, but this… It’s still setting in that they gave me so many compliments.”

“Really that’s good right?”

I nod my head, “Of course it’s good especially with  dishes I made for them with a tray,” I look at the table to see our holiday plate ont eh table and show her, “this size.”

“Where’s dad?”

“Your father went to your grandfather to talk with him.”

“Why did he go to talk to your dad?”

“Well like every year my father refuses to meet you girls because your father is from America.”

June and I trade looks, “Then why place us in charge of his shop and company.”

“Your older brother made him understand by helping change the numbers so that it became a franchise.”

We nod our heads and I look at my phone to see a text from Kai.

“Excuse me a moment.”

I set the letter on the table and open the message.

In it is a picture of Kai and a cute little puppy that looks like Monggu.

I text him, “Oh she’s so cute. Whose is she?”

“She’s a present for someone. Though I want you to meet her and tell me what you think of her.”

“Sure. I’ll stop by around 10 tomorrow morning since my grandfather is supposed to come… If he’ll even think of coming.”

“Well I’ll be expecting you here around 10-ish tomorrow.”

“Are you sure that’s okay? I don’t want to get in the way of your sleep or anything.”

“No, I want your opinion.”

“Alright, I’ll see you tomorrow at 10-ish if I can get away.”

“Good. See you tomorrow.”

I lock my phone again but not before checking the picture again and save it.

I walk back to see my sister had the letter in her hand.

“June, why did you open it?”

“We couldn’t stand the waiting and mom wouldn’t touch it. Guess what Hoyin?”

“What I didn’t’ make it and you’re going to rub it in my face?”

“No, I guess it’s a good thing you saved up all your money from your paychecks cause you’re going to France.”

“Really,” I rip the letter from her hand and quickly read through the English, “I really did make it. I made it into the school.”

I unlock my phone again and conference call both my dad and my big brother.

“Hoyin, what is it?”

“Dad big bro… I made it into the school. They said I could start in the spring instead of waiting until fall.”

“That’s terrific sis I knew you could do it.”

“I can’t believe my baby girl is going to France without me to protect her.”

“Dad I’m only going to be gone for a while I’ll be home for holidays at least ones they celebrate in France.”

“Well… I won’t bother with this speech now because we still have until January to give it to you.”

I hear dad talk to someone in the background in a hushed tone.

“Well I’ll be home by 8 tonight.”

“Alright see you later, dad.”

I tell mom and she simply nods her head then starts cooking our Christmas dinner even though she’s Buddhist and dad is the Christian.  

When dad finally shows up at home behind him is the grandfather I’ve only seen in the distance.

“Grandpa… What made you decide to come for once?”

“I heard about my granddaughter.”

He tries to hug me in his arms and I push him away from me gently, “I don’t care. No offence grandfather, but you never cared for June and me because we weren’t like our brother. We took after our father and you didn’t like that. The only reason you wanted to see us today is because I made it into a cooking school. Well I wanted to because of grandma and my dad.”

I turn and leave the room going straight to my room ignoring my mom calling for me. Everyone else is smart and knows that I need time to cool down.

I don’t know how long I’m up here until there’s a knock at my door. I don’t’ bother getting up because they’ll probably open it anyways.

I’m right since my grandfather walks into the room, “You seem to be mad at an old fool.”

“Yeah, I am. Look I don’t care that you don’t’ like the whole fact that my father lived in America and his Korean is still not so perfect, but he’s my dad and we are his kids. We are what him and my mother… your daughter created with the love they have for each other. I’m not trying to make you love me or love June or Jungshin.”

“I know that and after the way you acted downstairs I realized I have no idea who my grand kids are. My wife was the one that spent all her time with you while I was trying to make this shop worth more money. I thought that was all that mattered to me especially since my daughter married an American she had met when she was in college almost 26 years ago. She loves you and your siblings and your father. I thought he’d drive my business to the ground when really him and your older brother are keeping it alive. So if anything I have them to thank. I just hope they will except my apologizes.”

I look at my grandfather and sigh, “I’ll forgive you, but I just don’t’ want you to do something like that to us again. I’m not sure if my mother or father could take something like that to happen to them again.”

“I won’t promise anything, but I can say I’ll try to make my daughter and my son-in-law happy.”

“Good… I’m sorry that tomorrow I’ll be gone for a few hours in the morning.”

“Why?”

“I’m going to see a friend of mine who needs help picking a present for their… lover.”

“Alright… not sure what that will do with you, but I guess I can deal with that just know you belong to me…”

“Also June and I are going to support a group of friends at a concert.”

“Friends?”

“Yeah, they are a band that debuted from SM Entertainment the same company that June is a trainee at.”

“Alright. Just try to spend what time you can with family before you leave.”

“I will grandpa. Now let’s go back down stairs before they think I gave you a heart attack.”

He chuckles.

That night the presents were some of the better over the years, but they were also the most heartwarming.

They all had bought me things for m time in Paris. I got a map and a few books for French cooking and language.

Then I got a few suitcases and things with the Eiffel Tower on it.

The most heart wrenching thing though is an electric frame that has pictures of all of us together.

“Just add more photos when you end up meeting friends or even a lover.”

“Mom, that’s a bit much anyways there is something that I think I like, but he’s from here in Seoul so there’s no worry.”

As we all decide that we should head to bed at 1 in the morning we all give our parents and grandfather a kiss on the forehead.

June looks at me and asks, “Where are you going tomorrow morning?”

“Picking up a present from a few friends,” that isn’t a lie I plan to make a few stops tomorrow picking up presents.

“Alright just pick me up around 4 for we can get to the concert a bit early.”

“Are you sure it’s today and wasn’t yesterday night and through a bit in the morning?”

She shrugs and I want to pull my hair out.

“Well I’m going to bed and I’ll see you whenever I get back.”

I shut my bedroom door and don’t’ open it until about 9:30 after I get dressed up in a cute red dress and I slip on white leggings under it then my green tennis shoes.

I look in the mirror and mumble, “I look like a freaking Christmas elf.”

I shrug my shoulders as I look at the time, “I have enough time.”

I slip back into my room changing into a pair of dark wash skinny jeans then pull on a form fitting loose knit black sweater over a burn out long sleeved red top.

“There looks better not so elf like.”

I slip on a pair of black wedge tennis shoes and smile at myself as I exit my room again.

I race down the stairs and notice that our car keys are out and wonder if I should drive to the building or not… No, but I’ll hijack the keys so they don’t take the car so I can steal it for when I get back.

I grab my winter jacket along with the rest of my winter gear.

I smile as I look outside to see the snow.

I walk to the SM dorms and smile at Jungsik who doesn’t look entirely happy that he’s sitting guard even on such an important holiday.

He waves me by probably thinking I’m picking something up from my sister’s dorm which I should just to be a nice older sister that I know I can be.

I walk to the elevator and look around a bit and sigh in relief that I don’t see anyone.

I look at the lights and smile slightly, “This is going to be hard after realizing how I feel.”