Gem

Love And Be Free

'One.. Two..' Chae Min counts the bars in her racing heart. She is hesitating. What an unexpected turn of events. Dramatic, yes indeed. When is it not when Young Do is involved?

'Three..' 

"Oh it." She mutters under her breath as the fourth bar hits. She moves in line with the rest of the girls. She stares directly at Young Do, who of course, stares back roguishly. She raises her left hand reflexively, keeping her right behind her back. Her body knows the dance too well. He mimics her movement. Chae Min bites her lip in anticipation.

Their hands meet, even though technically they're not supposed to. He did it on purpose! Chae Min moves her hand back several inches, scowling briefly at him. Can't he do anything right???

The beauty of this dance is the minimal skin contact but yet forming an intimate connection between the partners. She has to admit, she never really understood what that meant. Maybe because her partner was always Jong Tae and to her, their relationship is merely platonic. 

However, with Young Do, it's a completely different story. Different vibes. Different feelings.

They walk in a circle with their hands still in the air. Chae Min swears she can feel jots electric current passing from him onto her finger tips even without actually touching him. And the way he maintains eye contact leaves her breathless. 

This is the first time she's felt this way even though she's done this dance a million times. Maybe this is what the choreographer meant.  

'I'm not gonna be able to survive the rest of the dance if this continues.' She thinks, trying very hard to keep her composure. She's still a little angry at Young Do. Not sure why anymore, but she just is.

"Baby, you might wanna try to put on a smile." He advices cheekily, breaking the silence. At the same time also destroying the moment, killing the magic in the air. "You are aware that every single human being in this room has their attention on you, right?"

She blinks repeatedly, keeping her eyes on him sardonically, showing how little s she's giving.

Young Do purses his lips at her disobedience. He seems to be staring harder at her, if that's even possible. Chae Min feels her soul being stripped down as his eyes bore into hers. 

She is once again reminded how dark and powerful this young man is. If she is his business associate or friend, she'll never want to get on his bad side. Imagine working under him as his subordinates, must be a living hell for everybody when he is in a bad mood. Wait, so what is she to him now? He has not officially asked her to be his girlfriend yet, though he did casually address himself as her boyfriend at several occasions but they don't count, right? But they are together, no? If they are not lovers, are they even friends then? 

Chae Min rolls her eyes subconsciously at how absurd her relationship with Young Do is. He is a labyrinth of confusion. He treats her so well, she is sure he's the kindest person ever, but he's so cold to everyone else. Which side of him is real? He does not say his thoughts out loud very often, but she knows exactly what's on his mind. Or at least she thinks she does? He either does not really express his feelings at all, keeping everything bottled up or he makes sure the whole world knows about it. It baffles her how she puts up with his so much. 

Well, she is in love with him. That's a solid enough reason for anything after all. 

She suddenly realizes Young Do's gaze has turned hostile, his eyes narrowing with disapproval.

Oh no. Must be the eye roll. 

He must think that it was directed at him. 

Chae Min gulps. 

Young Do steps out of line daringly and wraps his arm around her waist, pulling her close. Every living soul in the hall gasps. Including Chae Min. His touch may be familiar but it's too sudden. His eyes are still lock on hers.

"What are you doing!!" She hisses through gritted teeth. Nobody should ever fall out of formation during The Dance. That's like the sacred rule no.1. 

"Come with me." He breathes into her ear. He grabs her hand as a sign that he is about to do something completely outrageous. He tempts her by softly squeezing her.

"Young Do-ah, we can't -" She tries to reason but stops when she realizes that the devil does not bargain. There is that little sparkle in his eyes that is undeniably provocative. 

"Ready?" He whispers. 

She answers with a sigh. She is always ready when she's with him.

He takes a huge step backwards, pulling Chae Min along, then a step to the side. And another step forward. And with every step, he is leading them towards the entrance of the hall. Chae Min does not question him as she has complete faith in him knowing what he is doing. Even when he really does not.

Besides, Young Do is extra hot when he takes charge. 

'I must never let him know that. Or the consequences will be unthinkable. Bloody control freak.' She thinks. 

They finally get to the entrance successfully without bumping into anyone on the dance floor. The song is still ongoing but everyone is definitely gawking at them. Well, honestly, can you blame them??????

"You look absolutely enchanting tonight, my little princess." Young Do says, releasing her. 

"Thanks. But I'm mad at you." She crosses her arm. She is determined to be the one throwing the tantrum this round.

"Oh really? I must ask why indeed." He raises his eyebrows. 

"Why?! Are you kidding me? Wh-Why??" Now she's legit getting annoyed. "Try one of the followings: not telling me and just showing up out of no where, dancing with that hot girl, making a scene by dragging me here???"

"Wait wait wait, 'dancing with that hot girl'?" Young Do repeats, clearly amused at her jealousy.

Chae Min pouts. 

"Okay, I'm sorry. Will this make up for everything?" He says and cups her face with both his gigantic palms.

Next thing she knows, his lips are on hers. Warm, moist and oh so familiar. Something about this kiss invigorates her, maybe it's because they are the center of attention right now, maybe it's because of the magical prom atmosphere or maybe it's simply because he is Choi Young Do.

She gladly returns the kiss with matching passion, tip toeing a little. Even with high heels on, Young Do is still a freaking giant. It is lasting longer than she expects, even though she knows it's tremendously inappropriate to make out in front of her school mates and teachers, but Chae Min is addicted to the charge going down all the way to her spine. Flaring her insides and spinning her head like a little carousel. 

The song comes to an end and Young Do finally breaks away reluctantly. She pulls him back for one last smooch. She catches a faint hint of blush creeping onto his cheeks.

Could it be?

Is he feeling coy?? 

How adorable.

"Let's get outta here." He says, hugging her and leaning his chin on the top of her head. It is almost as if he does not want her to see his face. Hehe. 

"Okay." She agrees and squeezes back tightly. Chae Min isn't a born rebel but she doesn't give a single about anyone in this room. She has no time for a bunch of fake people and their bull. She may get into so much trouble for this but all she wants is to spend time alone with her man. 

The two of them walk hand in hand out of the hall, leaving behind a stunned crowd. A few claps and cheers can be heard but most of them just gasp. 

"Wait here, okay? I'll go get the car. I don't want you to hurt your feet by walking in.." He points at her feet. "those torturous things."

"Aww, sure."

"I'll be right back." He plants a kiss on her forehead. 

As soon as Young Do is out of sight, a puffing Jong Tae jogs towards her. His hair messy in the wind and his pants are obviously not tailored for running.

'But they surely are tailored though.' Chae Min thinks. Hah. Bad joke at a bad timing.

"Are you leaving?" He asks, out of breath.

"Yeah, I'm sorry but I don't think I can stay much longer."

"Why are you doing this? How could you? You're MY prom date." The devastation in his voice is heart wrenching.

"I know, I'm really sorry. But I just don't belong here. The whole night was plain suffocating." She says.

"But you can't just walk out on me like this!" He says, rage seeping through the crack in his voice.

"I'm sorry, Jong Tae. You're a wonderful friend and you've made prom so much more bearable." Chae Min says gently and reaches out for his arm, hoping to calm him down. "I understand that this must feel so unfair to you and if I can make it up to you in any way, I would, but I can't stay."

"A friend. Of course."  Jong Tae dodges her hand. "All this while, you've been repeatedly trying to hint me, in the least subtle way possible. I must be the most delusional person on earth to think I can get out of your friend zone. Or the dumbest."  

"No, you're not." She says. Prince Charming is actually an insecure person. "You're literally the most flawless person, you ace your grades, you do well in sports, you have hidden musical talents, you have the looks, you have everything. You deserve someone better than me, you're way out of my league and the whole school knows it."

"And yet, no matter how hard I try, its never enough for you, is it?!" He retorts. His frustration startles Chae Min and she is momentarily lost for words. She blinks blankly at him. 

Jong Tae lets out a sigh. "Maybe I just have a bad personality or maybe I'm just a bad person."

"Park Jong Tae, you listen to me. And you listen to me good." She says solemnly. "All the external perfections aside, you are one of the few people I've met in Jeguk High who is genuinely kind at heart and compassionate towards others. You are not a bad person. You want to make a change, I can tell. You don't show it but I know you don't approve of the ways your friends treat your peers."

Chae Min flashes back to the many times she's witnessed Jong Tae stopping his friends from tormenting the other kids in school. The way he would secretly help some of those unfortunate souls back up on their feet after being ruthlessly shoved by the ones who think they are worthier than others. 

This boy is a much better person than almost everyone in that dreaded hall. 

"I am the dumb one to not reciprocate your feelings." She continues. This is the time to make things clear once and for all. "I did meet Choi Young Do first but it isn't even about the order of meeting who first. I do love him very much. He and I just click, there's this spark and the chemistry is right. You and I? I just can't imagine us being anymore than just really close friends. I want you to know I'm thankful to have met you and I'll forever cherish our friendship."

At this moment, Young Do's Lambo pulls up beside them. He honks lightly and gestures for her to hop on. Completely ignoring Jong Tae's presence.

"You're wrong." Jong Tae mumbles, so soft that it's barely audible.

"What?" She asks.  

"You're wrong." He repeats, loud and clear but somber and frankly a little sullen. "I am not the person you say I am. I'm not noble or righteous. In fact, I'm just like everyone else in this bloody school."

Chae Min notices his clenched fists trembling as he spits his speech.

"But you are right about one thing though, you are dumb and you will regret this. Believe me when I say this, I will show you what a king is capable of. After all, I'm crowned for a reason. And that's because.." 

Pause for effect.

"I AM the worst of them all."

Chae Min's mouth dropped open. He stupefied her once again. She has no time to react before he reaches for the corsage tied around her wrist and rips it off forcefully. 

She winces in pain, exclaiming a curse word. 

Jong Tae seems utterly indifferent. He raises the corsage to her eye level and drops it to the ground. Everything feels like it's happening in slow motion. It lands with a soft thud. But to Chae Min, it's as deafening as thunder. He treads on the roses, squashing and wrecking it all. 

"Yah, what are you doing??" Young Do gets out of his vehicle and says loudly. 

Jong Tae's glowering eyes move from Chae Min to Young Do, then back at Chae Min once more. He turns his back against them without another word and walks off.

"Chae Min-ah, are you okay?" Young Do rushes over to her side, holding her hand to inspect for bruises. He fusses over her and repeatedly asks if she's hurt. Chae Min cannot even bring herself to answer him. It's almost as if she can't hear anything.

All she can do is stare unresponsively at the pile of damaged roses on the ground.

 

❋   ❋   ❋   ❋   ❋   ❋   ❋   ❋

 

"Oppa, what have I done?" Chae Min murmurs.

Young Do puts both of his hands on her shoulders reassuringly.

"It's okay." He says. 

"What have I done?" She repeats, slightly more distinct this time, as if reality is finally sinking in for her. She looks up and in her eyes he sees a small glint of fear. Perhaps from the pain, or perhaps from the realization of what a boy like Park Jong Tae is capable to do. 

"It's not your fault, baby." He wraps his arms around her, pushing her face into his broad chest. He pats her head gently. "I promise you, it isn't."

They stay like that for some time, in silence. Young Do continues to caress her and she stays frozen in his embrace.

It hurts him to see her like this. And frankly he is also a tad bit worried for her. Park Jong Tae is no mere teenager. That was a metaphorical warning. He can ruin someone's life as easily as he crushed those flowers.

However, a tiny part of Young Do empathizes with the kid. He was pretty much in the same shoes as Jong Tae. The whole born on a throne of money thing aside, they are alike in more ways than Young Do would like. Guy likes girl, girl likes another guy, the other guy obviously likes girl too, first guy is left with nothing. Sounds too close to home. 

'What a pity.' Young Do thinks. He knows however that Jong Tae's personality is more similar to Kim Tan though. Trying to be ethical and nice to other kids, not following the footsteps of his predecessors. As an adult now, Young Do kind of regrets his ill treatment towards some of his old schoolmates. It did nobody any good. Back then, he was always so full of negativity. He saw it as a form of anger management. He should have known better than to so coldly push people away. 

Especially his best friend, Kim Tan. 

Young Do knows Chae Min has always treated Jong Tae as her best friend. Losing a best friend is hard, losing it the way she just did must be way harder. 

When they get into the car, Chae Min holds her silence. He looks at her in a worrisome manner. Then he remembers his little present for her. He reaches for the bouquet of blue, purple and pink hydrangeas he stashed behind his seat. They are in season right now and they just look so magnificently abundant in full bloom. 

"Cheer up babe." He says coolly as he hands her the flowers. Her eyes pop as wide open as . He catches himself smiling just looking at how she brightens up. Her beauty rivals the flowers she is holding. A tiny flutter in his stomach reminds him that nobody has ever made him feel this way. Not Cha Eun Sang, his first love. Not any of his ex girlfriends as most of them were just flings. Definitely not his..

Young Do pushes away some unwanted incoming thoughts of his dark days. They are gone and over now. He has found a gem and she is shining right before his eyes. 

"How did you know hydrangeas are my favourite flowers?" She asks in astonishment.

"Are they?? I didn't know actually." He answers truthfully. 

"Well, from this moment onwards, they are." 

Chae Min bursts into a tiny giggle, blushing in embarrassment at what she just said. Cute.

'She isn't just any gem.' He thinks, studying her with a warm feeling spreading in his heart. 'She's the most precious and rare one, the gem of my life.'

"Alright, shall we get some ice cream?" He asks, lightheartedly, to which she replies with a hug and a kiss on his cheek. 

 

 

 


Hi guys, I'm not even going to give excuses for taking so long to update! Thank you so much for your patience. Y'all are the best. <3 Oh and here look at how pretty these hydrangeas are hehehe https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1411/896064988_225f3bdfa0_b.jpg Stay tune for the next chapter! I promise it will not take as long as this one did. x