Coincidences

Love And Be Free

Young Do walks down the familiar street. He has his eyes on the corner cafe all the way at the end. One of the few places he actually likes to go. 

He breathes in the chilly air, his nostrils numbs, the temperature has finally dropped. Young Do was never really a fan of the scorching summer days. In his opinion, nature looks best in autumn. He kicks at the fallen leaves cheerfully, careful not to cause too much friction to his brand new Chelsea boots. The leaves are turning orange and red, matching the colour of the rosy sky. This is a perfect evening for a good cup of coffee.

His peaceful moment is interrupted by loud chattering as he approaches his destination. Young Do's jaws drop as he sees the long line queuing outside the cafe. They are mostly teenage boys and young male adults. Some of them are well dressed, some are still in their school uniforms. They are peering into the cafe through the glass windows, trying very hard to catch a glimpse of something. Or someone, maybe.

Since he is a VVIP at this cafe, well, technically, he's a VVIP everywhere he goes, he casually walks right pass the crowd and into the cafe, nodding at the waiter at the door like a clubber to a bouncer, leaving some angry men demanding for fairness or what not in the dust.

'Ugh, peasants.' He thinks, disgusted at how ill mannered people can be, completely oblivious of the irony.

"Hey, Hwa Min, whats going on outside?" Young Do asks the woman behind the counter.

"Yah, will it kill you to call me noona, you little rascal. I'm older than you!" She replies. "Oh, you mean the crowd? It's been like this since the new girl started working here."

"Hahaha, you must be kidding me." He laughs, suddenly curious about the new girl. He imagines a voluptuous lady in the waitress uniform. Mmm, not bad, not bad at all. "To attract this many men, she must be quite the vixen huh?"

"Quite the contrary.." Hwa Min stops explaining, teasing him. Young Do narrows his eyes.

"Unni!" A voice calls out from the back kitchen, a chill goes down his spine. "I can't find the mop anywhere!"

The owner of the voice runs out to Hwa Min, it belongs to a youthful girl, ready to go on aegyo mode. She flashes her million dollar smile as she tugs at Hwa Min's apron playfully. "Could you help me please?"

Young Do intakes a sharp breath. She glances over and turns her attention back to Hwa Min but her eyes pop right open as she perceives who the customer at the other end of the counter is. 

"Oh my god." Her American accent is thick. She whirls around and panic washes over her face. "Oppa?!"

 

❋   ❋   ❋   ❋   ❋   ❋   ❋   ❋

 

Chae Min sets down the cup of espresso cautiously. Choi Young Do sits with his legs and arms crossed at the corner of the cafe next to the see through glass windows. His glares burn holes into her bare soul. Could it be mere happenstance that Young Do apparently loves this cafe???? The ing cafe that she decided to work part time in.

"Enjoy your coffee!" She chirps the line she is supposed to say to every customer, she didn't even feel this pressured the first time! Not planning to wait for a reply, she leaves in a hurry.

"Sit down." Young Do says behind her. She halts immediately, he sounds so stern that she is actually afraid. Why is he so pissed off anyway?! Chae Min always knew he wouldn't like it if she takes up a part time job but he is totally overreacting right now.

"I can't. I'm working." Her voice pathetically tiny.

"Sit." He repeats firmly. Nodding at the empty seat opposite him. 

Chae Min sighs, half in agitation, half in defeat. Her fear turning into annoyance. She pulls out the chair roughly, making sure it screeches as it scrapes against the floor. However once she's seated, she loses her confidence and puts on an apologetic look. 

'Ugh, this guy.' She thinks angrily, hating the effect he has on her. 

"Okay, I'm sitting." 

He keeps quiet, taking a sip of his shot of espresso. 

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you I got a job, alright? I was planning to but I didn't know how and I was worried that you'd get mad at me."

Young Do raises an eyebrow. She wants to face-slam the table.

"Why?" He asks.

"What?"

"Do you need money for something?"

"I know you have plenty of that but no I don't need it."

"Then why the bloody are you-" He stops himself and takes a deep breath to calm himself. He clenches his fist momentarily to release the stress building up inside.

"Because I wanted to!" She is unable to contain herself anymore either. "I don't understand why are you so upset about this."

"I'm not upset." He denies the obvious. Chae Min rolls her eyes. "Is this why you have been missing in action for the past few days? You told me you have an upcoming test! And I believed you!"

"Okay, first of all, yes I actually have a test soon, so I didn't lie." She says, hoping that Young Do's anger can subside a little. She kind of feels bad that she has been doing things behind his back and she doesn't want to lose his trust. "Secondly, I admit I've been spending time here but I swear, only here in the cafe. "

Chae Min recalls the promise she made with him two month ago. Funny how time flies so fast. When she first met him, he was creepy, undeniably hot but creepy, at the same time his eyes always had a cold gleam even though his smiled warmly. Back then, she struck a deal just to save her father's business and land. All she has to do is spend time with Young Do, like, how hard could that be right? It started out kind of awkward and it felt like she was on duty to accompany an . Gotta be on time, gotta dress well, gotta do this, gotta do that. But after a while, she started looking forward to seeing him and enjoy herself. Young Do also became less strict about everything. 

It.. almost felt like they were dating.

Until now. He has no right to tell her how to live her life.

"You rather work than spend time with me?" Young Do asks, trying his best to mask the hurt in his voice.

"Well, I want to try doing something new when I am not with you."

"Does it make you happier than being with me?"

"Of course not." Chae Min says without hesitation, surprised. He seems honestly insecure that he has to compare two completely irrelevant things. Is he jealous of her work???? Is this something legit to get jealous of????

Young Do stays silent, obviously sulking. He downs the entire cup of espresso like he's doing a shot of alcohol. It was obviously not a good idea to drink the concentrated coffee so quickly. He frowns as the bitterness hits hard. 

Chae Min smiles. How adorable. UGH. She just wants to give him a hug. So badly. 

'And why shouldn't I?'

She stands up abruptly, startling Young Do as she throws herself at him. Even though she is in an awkward bending position, she wraps her arms around his neck and pats his head. She counted exactly 5 in 5 seconds before she feels his arms embracing her. Pulling her down so that she sits sideways on his lap. 

Although she is completely aware that people are staring hard, from inside and outside of the cafe, Chae Min can't be bothered to care. She giggles helplessly as Young Do tickles her softly.  She notices how long and thick Young Do's hair has grown. She tucks his sideburns behind his ears. 

She loves this moment, she loves how they basically got over a fight so easily, though the reason they fought was absolutely bull, she loves how comfortable she is in his arms, she loves the way he holds her so protectively, she loves the smell of his hair, she loves the way he closes his eyes when she caresses the back of his neck, she loves the smell of coffee in his breath.

She loves him.

"You're still in trouble, young lady." He says, nuzzling her arm with his nose. 

"Why, yes, you are." A woman says, clearing loudly. 

Chae Min looks up and her face goes pale.

"Get off." The middle aged woman says. 

Chae Min jumps up and bows at the woman respectfully, after all, she is her employer and owns this cafe.

The woman glares at Young Do but he just shrugs. Chae Min's eyes widen at his cheekiness. He leans forward and pulls Chae Min closer, wrapping one arm around her waist without standing up. Her entire body tenses up. She tries to wiggle away but his grip is secure. Is this bastard trying to cost her her job?

"Hi mom." Young Do grins. 

❋   ❋   ❋   ❋   ❋   ❋   ❋   ❋

 

"What are you doing here?" Madam Yoo asks Young Do. 

All three of them are now sitting together. Chae Min fiddles with her cup nervously, keeping her gaze low and fixated on her caramel latte.  What a bloody coincidence that her employer is her boyfriend's mother. Can the world be any smaller?

"Mom, could you do me a favor?" He answers with a question, insolent and typical.

"You hardly even visit me nowadays and today I caught you flirting, or should I say, seducing one of my innocent employee and you dare ask me for a favor??"

"Fire her." 

"Excuse me?" Chae Min interrupts, glaring at Young Do, who scoffs in the most annoying manner.

Madam Yoo observes the two young adults. She seems to understand their relationship instantly. She clears loudly to remind them of her presence.

Chae Min looks at her apologetically. Young Do just rolls his eyes. 

"Do you still want to work here, Chae Min?" Madam Yoo asks. She nods enthusiastically. "Then you shall continue your employment."

"BUT -" Young Do begins. 

"No buts." His mother cuts him off. Interrupting people sure runs in the family blood. "I have to admit, business obviously got so much better since this young lady started working here. Just look  at the line of customers waiting outside! She's a charmer."

Chae Min raises an eyebrow at that statement, not sure if there's an implied meaning.

"That was a compliment." The woman explains. She can't help but chuckle. "You're honestly a ray of sunshine. The customers love you, the other staffs love you, I love you. And it would seem that my son loves you too."

"Mother, please." Young Do seems a little embarrassed. A-do-ra-ble. He gestures to the onlooking thirsty (literally and figuratively) men prying  to figure out what kind of conversation their favourite little waitress is having. "So, you understand exactly why I don't want her to work here!"

"This girl has the right to make her own life choices! Young Do ah, could you stop acting like you're 12??"

"Like you would know what kind of 12 year old I was??" 

Chae Min gasps. She knows all about Young Do's childhood and how his mother walked out on him. In her opinion, his father was the one to be blamed. Madam Yoo deserve her own happiness. Poor Young Do was the one who suffered the most. He told her that he has patched things up with his mother several years ago and that all is well. Maybe not as well as she thought..

Madam Yoo sighs and shakes her head as if she has heard that sentence a billion times. 

Young Do glares outside the windows. Chae Min grits her teeth at the tension in the air. She hates that she is the one who kind of triggered this. If only she didn't take up this job. Maybe everyone will be happier. And to think that the mother of her lover probably despises her now makes her sick to the stomach.

"My son, I -" 

He does not allow his mother to continue. He gets up and bows half heartedly at her and walks briskly out of the cafe. Chae Min notices his lack of acknowledgment of her presence. She immediately excuses herself to run after him. Madam Yoo lets out another long sigh behind her.

Chae Min dashes out of the cafe. She shouts out Young Do's name only to find the customers outside gawking at her. She decides not to cause a commotion. Slowing down her pace, she waves at several regulars and smiles tightly. Just as she is about to break into a jog when she reaches the end of the queue, a hand grabs hold of her wrist. She turns to see a woman several years older staring at her contemptuously. 

"I can't wrap my mind around what do all these men see in you."

"Excuse me?" She frowns, not appreciating her tone. "Please let go."

"You're not even pretty. You must know one or two things on how to seduce men." 

Chae Min almost gasps, stopping herself just in time. She does not want to give the woman the pleasure of thinking she has affected Chae Min, even though she finds her bluntness rude and repulsive. Who is this wretch anyway, throwing snap judgments at her. Must be some jealous girlfriend of some lame customer who tried to hit on her. She never entertained those jerks so why is this happening to her.

"How is that any of your business?" Chae Min replies as calmly as possible. She knows she cannot lose her cool though, since she is wearing her uniform and the cafe's reputation is at sake. "Now, lady, would you please let go of me."

When the woman does the exact opposite and tightens her grip, Chae Min instinctively attempts to break free. This is one strong woman! Anxiety takes over, now that she's completely lost sight of Young Do. She glares at the stranger, realizing how their complexions are awfully similar, fair but not bland. 

"Ouch, you're hurting me!" She feigns pain, half hoping that the woman will release her, half wishing the bystanders will step in and help her. Chae Min exaggerates her body language, bending her arm in an odd position and twists her body awkwardly. "Ahh! Stop it!"

The lady widens her eyes but still grasps on. Chae Min's wrist is starting to really ache and she is irritated beyond words. She is about to give up on her act when a familiar scent fills the air. 

Young Do's cologne. 

He appears behind the woman and firmly removes her hand away from Chae Min. The older lady swirls around. 

Once again, he plays the hero, saving Chae Min the damsel from villains. Now he will say some epic romantic line to her and they will walk off together in style. Happy ending!

Only that he isn't even looking at her. 

He is still holding the lady's hand. She is not resisting at all. Their hands hang in mid air, along with the suspense.

'The way they gaze at each other.. Its almost like they know the deepest parts of their souls.' She thinks to herself, an unfamiliar feeling building up her chest.

The moment he muttered the woman's name, Chae Min knew. 

'That's because.. They do.' She finally registers the situation. Not sure why herself, but she feels her heart shattering to the ground.

The name rolls off Young Do's tongue like he's called it a countless of times. Possibly even in his sleep.

"Cha Eun Sang."