Belle of the Ball

Love And Be Free

Young Do drives silently with a quiet Chae Min next to him. She fiddles with the bouquet of roses that is resting on her lap. For once, in a very long time, the silence is awkward. 

"So, how was your day?" He asks nonchalantly. This simple question that he asks everyday seems a little inappropriate today. 

"Erm. Not bad." She replies. "Class was okay."

"And..?"

"And I got asked to prom." She says, emotionless. "Is that the right answer?"

He does not reply but looks straight ahead, keeping his eyes on the road. Chae Min notices his grip on the steering tightens as the leather makes a tiny squeak. Oh news flash, Choi Young Do is pissed. Again! However, she is certain she has done no wrong. 

High school prom is a one in a lifetime thing and she deserves to go, have fun and create good memories. If she was not asked by Jong Tae, then she probably never would ever go. And she just might miss one of the most memorable nights of her life.

"Does it bother you that I'm going to prom with Jong Tae?" She asks.

"Well, what do you ing think?"

"I don't ing know but you really shouldn't be getting upset over this." 

"I'm not upset!!" He defends but it just proves that he actually is.

"How could I have said no? Its just prom anyway. Besides, there's nothing going on between Jong Tae and I."

"Not yet."

"I beg your pardon?!" Chae Min feels her temper boiling. Young Do has so little trust in her. 

"God damn it, Chae Min." Looks like she's not the only one getting annoyed. Young Do is losing his too. "That guy pretty much confessed to you and you still ing said yes! So, tell me, what am I supposed think of this whole situation?"

It's her turn to be speechless. She didn't think of it that way until Young Do pointed it out. How silly, how stupid! She is a complete idiot. Does this mean Jong Tae misunderstood her as well? 

Because of her stupidity, so many people are getting hurt.

"You know I like you." Chae Min says in a tiny voice. "Only you."

Young Do sighs. 

"I know." He replies and reaches out to hold her little hand. "And you should also know that you mean the world to me, that's why I'm getting so worked up about this."

"Mhmm." She nods. 

Their conversation ends there, neither of them speak another word for the rest of the journey. Young Do seems to be alright now, which is relieving. She stares out of the window, trying hard to swallow the lump in , she refuses to cry. But Chae Min feels the guilt eating her up slowly inside. How did things take such a bad turn?

 

❋   ❋   ❋   ❋   ❋   ❋   ❋   ❋

 

A couple of weeks flew past and prom is this weekend and Chae Min still has not found a dress to wear. Or perhaps, gown is the more accurate word. It's not like she has any friends to go shopping with either. All these rich kids are getting their outfits tailor made which will probably cause a ridiculous amount of money.  She has been working for a while now but the money she saved up will not even cover a quarter of the market price of those insanely overpriced gowns.

Furthermore, she is ing stressed out about Jong Tae. He has been asking her what colour does she wants for the corsage and seeing him so excited about prom gives her a heartache. Not to mention all the rumors buzzing around about her. Everyone seems particularly curious about what she is going to wear, they actually think she is purposely being secretive. Well, she ain't got nothing. Just the pressure that is killing her.

One thing she is grateful for is that no one seems to be taking the theme too seriously. No one is planning to show up in 16th century styled clothing. Never mind the price, with this little time left, it will be impossible for her to get her hands on a Renaissance period gown.

But she does need a bloody decent looking dress.

Chae Min decides it's about time to ask for help from her parents. They don't know about prom at all because she simply cannot bring herself to request for something so expensive. Now it seems she is left with no other options, hopefully the money that she chips in will make a difference.

Jumping out of bed, she runs downstairs to find her mother in the living room. She is enjoying a cup of afternoon tea while flipping through the newspapers.

"Mom?" 

"Yes, dear?" She chirps, looking up and smiling brightly.

"I have a favor to ask.." Chae Min begins slowly. She starts pouring out about prom and the desperately needed gown and how bad she feels  about asking. Once she's done, her mother hugs her tight and expresses how happy she is that her daughter is all grown up and going off to her first prom.

"Honey, I think I have the perfect dress for you." Mom grins, her eyes twinkling with joy. "If you don't mind, that is." 

Chae Min waits patiently at the foot of the stairs that leads to the attic. She can hear her mother fidgeting around up there. After a series of trunks dragging and continuous sneezing from the dust, her mother finally finds what she's been looking for.

"A-ha! Found it!" Mom exclaims.

She heaves an old vintage trunk down the stairs and drags it all the all to the living room. She opens and pulls out the only thing in the trunk, a brown garment bag. It seems huge and puffy. Chae Min is already excited to see what's in store for her. And when she does, her heart stops. She gasps.

"Isn't it beautiful?" Mom sighs nostalgically. She nods. "I wore it on my wedding photoshoot years ago, and now its yours!"

This is it. This is the one. The dress she is going to go to prom with. 

 

❋   ❋   ❋   ❋   ❋   ❋   ❋   ❋

 

Chae Min ties the red corsage to her left wrist. Jong Tae always seem to have good taste in flowers. She gets into the limo that he rented (or did he say it belongs to his father?) and laughs at how ridiculously exaggerated this is.

Jong Tae has been avoiding eye contact ever since she stepped out of the door, nor did he smile at he . Could it be that her dress is inappropriate? Is it too much? Is he embarrassed? Oh no. 

Young Do has been texting her since morning and she has been asking advice from him. What to do with her hair? Make up? Things that he is obviously unfamiliar with, but as reluctant as he may be, he tried his best to be there for her. Maybe he is aware that she does not have any friends to get ready together with. 

"You look beautiful." Jong Tae says suddenly, still not looking at her. "Breathtakingly, beautiful."

"Thanks." Chae Min replies. Even though she is flattered but she is planning to keep this night friendly between the two of them. "You look smashing too!"

"Erm.." He stutters. She tries to keep a straight face at his awkwardness. He thinks hard to change the topic and finally mutters, "Traffic's bad, I hope we aren't late."

"Well, if we are, we'll be fashionably late." She winks playfully.

 

❋   ❋   ❋   ❋   ❋   ❋   ❋   ❋

 

Young Do sips the fruit punch. Yuck. Too sweet.

He scrunches his face, half disgusted at the poor choice of music. Too loud and too noisy.

"Wasn't the theme some Romeo and Juliet ???" He wonders out loud. He checks his watch, still no sign of a certain pretty face.

Where is he?

Prom. Chae Min's prom obviously.

Did he tell her he's going to be here? 

Of course, not. 

How did he get in?

Well, that's..

"YAH CHOI YOUNG DO!" A high pitched shriek calls out for him. He turns to see Princess Lee Bo Na storming her way towards him. The way she holds up her long navy gown, revealing her long slender legs as she speed walks, is quite a funny sight. But knowing her temper, he tries to keep a straight face.

"Yes?" He asks innocently when she's finally beside him. She snatches the drink from him and gulps it down. 

"Ah, seriously, it's so hot in here." She whines. "Where have you been?! You're here only because my previous Chan Youngie can't make it. You can't just disappear when you should have been beside me, giving me mental and emotional support as I practice my speech. And you should know how honorable it is to be my date. Do I need to remind you, I'm the president of the alumni club! And I always the one officiating the beginning of prom. All eyes are on me and I must not be caught alone!"

"Alright, darling, calm down." Young Do laughs. Lee Bo Na has always been like a sister to him. Whiny, bratty, a little annoying but cute. Even so, he couldn't stand to be next to her the whole time. But he always know what's the right things to say when she's ranting. "You look absolutely dashing in your gown and besides, I have full confident in you that you'll give a great speech. You always shine the brightest when you're on stage."

Little does she know though, that he was the one who made it so that Bo Na's fiancee, Chan Young will not be available tonight. After all, its not that hard to pull some strings. Of course, his intention is not to be Bo Na's date. The real reason he's here is for Chae Min.

Who still is no where to be found. 

Just as he is about to text Chae Min to ask her of her whereabouts, he hears loud cheering and clapping as everyone turn their attention to the main entrance of the hall.

There she is. Drop dead gorgeous. Chae Min has been updating him with selfies and pictures but good God, seeing her in person, in that stunning dress, that's a whole new story.

She has her hair bunned up. Apparently it's not an average bun because it has some very complicated braids. Chae Min has been whining about sitting at the hair stylist's for an hour long for this. Young Do is glad her hair is up though, her collar bones are attractively prominent. The sleeveless full white gown gives off a certain royal vibe. Its body hugging on the top part of her body, showing off her curves and revealing a little too much cleavage (he's going to have a word with her later about this). But it kind of opens out at the bottom around her knees, a layer of lace covering the puffy material like the ones on tutus that ballerinas wear. How did Chae Min describe it again? A lace vintage sweetheart neckline wedding dress with a mermaid tulle. 

Well, whatever and however others may describe it. Young Do just thinks she looks like a freaking goddess. How can she pull off y and classy but also somehow cute all at the same time so easily?

A coy smile playing across her lips, she walks, no, glides, across the room. The sequins on her lace gown twinkle along with her dangly earrings that sparkle like lost stars, drawing attention to her long neck. His heart stops, skips 3 beats and begins to thump fast and hard like a teenager in love. This reminds him of the night of the birthday party. Oh, the effect Chae Min has on him is both ridiculous and wonderful. 

Young Do almost, almost, does not notice the boy next to her. She has her arm linked into his. That damned rascal, Park Jong Tae is beaming like an idiot. Well, he should be. His date is a beauty out of the world. He wants to just swoop in and take her away!

Thank god the MC has some sense to officially begin the event at this moment now that the main leads have arrived. He asks everyone to take a seat at their designated tables. Young Do makes his way back to one of the front tables. Bo Na is a VVIP after all. 

He passes by Chae Min and Jong Tae from behind and gently squeezes her free hand. She turns her head and shock washes over her face. Jong Tae doesn't seem to notice and continues walking. She quickly plasters on a smile and follows. 

The next half an hour is a complete torture. Boring speeches by boring fake people. Young Do tries to make eye contact with Chae Min who is sitting at a table not too far away. He can tell she's making an effort not to look at him. Next to him, Bo Na recites her speech under her breath a million times. When it's finally her turn to go on stage, he pats her gently on her head, reassuring her. He also stands and applauds as she makes her way to the stage. As he sits, he finds Chae Min staring at him.

A rather cold stare too. Is somebody jealous?

Young Do raises his glass at her but she looks away. And at Jong Tae. He leans in to whisper something in her ear.

His eyes burn at the sight. Young Do's starting to regret coming here tonight.

 

❋   ❋   ❋   ❋   ❋   ❋   ❋   ❋

 

The head alumni, Lee Bo Na ends her speech with a "LEEEEET'S PARTYYYY!". Her unexpectedly perfect English earns a head tilt from Chae Min. She has got to admit that this girl is pretty cute and charming in her own way. The boys cheer excitedly as she blows a flying kiss. She watches as Bo Na walks into Young Do's welcoming arms. 

She was dying of curiosity as to why Young Do is here but after her speech, the situation kind of explained itself. She's from his year, since they both graduated 7 years ago, probably classmates. She's important and he's her date! But how come Young Do has never mentioned her before?

Why didn't Young Do say anything to her about coming though???????? A little heads up would be very much appreciated.  

"Are you hungry?" Jong Tae asks, forcing her to look away. 

"A little." She says. She can't tell whether Jong Tae noticed Young Do or not because he's holding in his emotions quite well. Whereas Young Do looks like he is about to jump every time she makes an interaction with Jong Tae.

"Food is going to be served soon." He says. She nods quietly, caressing her rose corsage.

Even though the food is marvelously delicious, Chae Min barely eats. Maybe it's because of her dress. Maybe it's because she isn't really feeling it. Young Do and that chick laughing away. A pang of jealousy hits. 

"Whatever." She says out loud. 

"Hmm?" Jong Tae asks.

"Nothing, hahaha." She covers up awkwardly. 

'I will not let this er ruin my night!' She thinks, determined to have some fun.

"The dance floor is now open, I hope everybody's got their dancing shoes on because the DJ's are in the house and we're ready to take this night up a notch!" The MC announces.

'Perfect. Right on time.'

Chae Min stands up immediately. Jong Tae looks a little stunned at her taking the initiative but he gets up too. Holding Chae Min's hand, he leads her to the dance floor. Surprisingly (or not), no one else joins them. Everyone seems to cease their conversations, only the loud party music can be heard. And of course, they stare.

Well, then.. Awkward. 

*snap* *snap*

Jong Tae snaps his fingers at the DJ. He nods. The music switches to a waltzy tune. Chae Min smiles gratefully. She is a terrible dancer but ballroom always seem easier than fist bumping the air to EDM. He bows like a gentleman. Jong Tae slides one arm around her and takes her hand in his with the other. 

She takes a deep breath. 

This scene seems awfully familiar. Except the last time, it was with someone else.. 

"Hey, don't worry. We've practiced this, remember?"

She nods at his words of encouragement. He grins confidently and starts to lead the dance impressively. Chae Min giggles every time she falls out of rhythm or when she steps on Jong Tae's luxurious leather shoes. He chuckles at her constant apologies. The endless camera flashes reminds her that her entire school is watching her but that does not bother her anymore.  Just like two good friends, having a goofy time, completely stress free.

Or at least that's what she feels this is.

The song finally comes to an end. They both heave a sigh, both of out of relief and out of breath. Applause and cheers follow. The MC praises how beautiful the first dance was and urges everyone to join in as well. The lights are dimmed and club music starts to blast through the well equipped stereo speakers. 

Chae Min wants to excuse herself from the now crowded dance floor but Jong Tae and his gang are surrounding her. 

'Oh the hell with it!' She thinks, throwing her hands in the air. She bounces in a desultory manner to the music, careful not to snap her 5 inches platform stilettos. She has never had alcohol before but it seems rather appropriate at the moment. Somehow, she just cannot let loose. Her mind wanders off to Young Do, is he still here? What is he doing? With that beautiful lady..

"Alrighttttt! You party animals proved that you know how to turn up! But now, get ready for the highlight of the night!"

Some groan loudly as they start to clear the dance floor. Jong Tae winks at Chae Min as he moves to the left side of the hall. She fires a finger gun at his direction to counter the stupid smirk on his face. She hurries to the right with the rest of the girls. Everyone takes their places and positions as if they have done this a million times. Well, they have. If not a million, then at least half a million. 

It's showtime. Jeguk High's prom tradition - The Dance.

Yes, you'd think they can come up with a more creative name.

The familiar tune starts playing, a classical minuet piece. The boys bow and the girls curtsy gracefully. At the fourth bar, everyone starts walking towards the center, straight into the arms of their partners. The dance itself is pretty simple. A lot of walking, bowing and hand movements. The whole point is to 'make contact but not touch' or some bull like that. 

Chae Min moves like a robot. She may not be a good dancer but she's practiced so many times, it feels numb. Even though dancing in her fancy dress does gives off a different vibe, she seems unable to get into it.

Her eyes scan the room. Everybody looks incredible. The boys in their well tailored suits and the ladies in their fitting gowns. 

For the first time tonight, she notices Seo Yeon. Where was she this whole time? She is not hard to miss at all. Her crimson satin ball gown puffs out as if she's wearing a crinoline and it even has a train. A little too much, perhaps? Then again, she has always been the 'go big or go home' type.

The couples around her try to avoid stepping her precious dress. Even her partner from the class next door seems to be having a hard time. Chae Min has never spoken to him before but he seems like a nice dude. Pushover, maybe, but nice. Poor guy. She wonders how did he manage to ask Seo Yeon to be his date? She tries to suppress her amusement when Jong Tae shoots her a questioning look.

Then, she spots Young Do. At the corner of the room. Dancing. With the girl wearing navy in his arms. Her dance moves are fluid and elegant. Classy woman. They obviously know this dance well too. They look so painfully compatible.

Chae Min feels a sudden jab in her heart and misses a step. Thankfully, Jong Tae is holding on to her tight.

"Hey, you okay?" Jong Tae asks, concerned. "You're a little out of focus."

"Thanks, yeah, I'm fine, sorry." 

"Only you can say thank you and sorry together in a sentence." He seems to know something's up but laughs it off anyway. Chae Min tries to keep her eyes on her date for the rest of the dance, it's only fair.

The dance comes to an end swiftly. Jong Tae releases her reluctantly and bows. She curtsies and retreats to one side of the hall again. Reuniting with the girls, she notices everybody is busy fixing their hair and straightening their dresses. Of course, it's time to announce the prom king and queen. Students have been placing their votes the whole night.

"Alright, ladies and gentlemen. You guys excited to know who are this year's prom royalties?" The MC says. "Chosen completely by the votes you guys casted, I now have the results in my hand!"

Hopeful cheers ring through the hall. 

"Let's begin with prom king, shall we?" The MC pauses teasingly. Students start shouting names of possible nominees. Evidently, Jong Tae's name is the loudest amongst all. 

"What? I can't hear you!" Typical MC thing to say, trying to create more suspense.. Chae Min grows impatient as he continues to drag on. Who else but Jong Tae will win anyway??

"And this year's prom king is... Park Jong Tae!! Congratulations!!"

Finally. Chae Min smiles proudly as he makes his way on stage to be crowned. Besides the eye glaring glittery crown, he also gets a sash with bold letters that says 'PROM KING', a costume royal robe and even a scepter! Wow these people sure do take the term 'royalty' seriously.

"Kay, settle down now errybody. We still have one more name to announce and that is this year's prom queen!" The students start shushing each other. Chae Min finds herself holding her breath too. Perhaps, her little teenage heart is hopeful too.

"Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand, the title goes too.."

Drum rolls. 

"Miss Kim Seo Yeon!"

Oh.

Figures. 

She isn't disappointed or anything. 

Why would she be, right?

Seo Yeon makes her way grandly to the stage to receive her dumb tiara, sash and all. She then links her arms into a very uncomfortable looking Jong Tae and beams at the crowd. Chae Min claps along with the rest, trying to keep a poker face on. The prom king and queen each gives a short speech about senior years and hoping to graduate together with everyone else blah blah blah. 

"...before I end my speech, I would like to just say how well dressed you guys are tonight. Since we all look like royalty, shall we have another round of The Dance?" Seo Yen says. A few hushed groans can be heard. Everybody knows her real motive, and that is clearly to dance with Jong Tae. But nobody dares to object.

Everyone gets to their positions again. Jong Tae is forced to to stand all the way in front since he is the prom king. he gives her an apologetic look.  Well, never mind. Just so happens, this year's boys and girls are of equal numbers. Chae Min just have to dance with Seo Yeon's date instead.. 

Who happens to be missing in action. She scans the hall desperately. That's when she catches Seo Yeon's cold smirk. The way she has her eyebrows cunningly raised, Chae Min knows right away what is really up.

Seo Yeon is not only doing this to dance with Jong Tae.

But also to ultimately humiliate her.

'What do I do? What do I do?' Chae Min's mind is a complete chaos.

She contemplates whether if she should leave but the music starts at this moment. She freezes. TOO LATE.

"Hold up." A man says loudly, gesturing for the music to be turned off. Chae Min turns to see Young Do strutting confidently in the space that has been cleared. The DJ stops the track. The whole world focuses on him and his magnificent beauty. The way his suit shows off his manly body line. Sigh, it's a waste he isn't a model..

'Ahem!' The voice insides Chae Min's head snaps at her. 'Not the right time.' 

Young Do takes his place directly opposite Chae Min, filling the gap. He runs his hand through his hair once, earning squeals from the star struck fangirls. It's a wonder how he refrained himself and laid low the whole night, but of course, it's not Young Do if he doesn't try to steal the spotlight. And he always manages to drag Chae Min in every time. Not that she minds, really.

He salutes at the DJ, who nods in amusement.

As soon as the music begins, he turns his attention to Chae Min. His stares are fixated and piercing, she bites her lower lip, nervous but anticipating. 

is about to get real intense.

 

 

 


http://i00.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/1949081402_1/Vintage-Sweetheart-Button-Up-Back-Mermaid-Wedding-Dresses-Lace-Ivory-Bridal-Gowns-Backless-vestido-de-novia.jpg (how I sort of pictured Chae Min's prom dress to be!)