Chapter 2

Our Pact

More than three decades ago, the Hsuans had moved next door to the Koos.

** 1975 **

One sunny morning, little Louis was playing ball in his front yard when a large mover truck parked next door to his house. He watched absorbedly as several big men carried huge carton boxes and various pieces of furniture into the house. As the boxes cleared out, he finally saw a pair of kids standing on the opposite side of the street. The boy smiled at him first and he smiled coyly back. He then took the initiative to smile to the little girl but he received a stuck-out tongue instead.

As the days passed by, a warm friendship was forged over the exchange of piping hot pies, cookies and tarts between the ladies of the two houses. As they spent more time in each other’s house, so did their children. Louis soon looked up to Bobby as the big brother that he never had. He would always tag behind Bobby and do as Bobby suggested (and this included how Bobby treated Jessica). As for Jessica, Louis was like a new brother – someone to love at times and someone to loathe at times. She hated it most when the boys ganged up against her and not let her played with them.

** 1976 **

On the day Bobby entered middle school, Louis and Jessica had their first day in Grade 1. Just outside the school gate, Louis’ mother told him to look after little Jessica and he nodded. Once they were in the school compound, Louis kept his word and took little Jessica’s hand in his. He made sure that he was by her side the whole day. From that day on, Louis was little Jessica’s protector in school.

** 1978 **

“Give her colour pencils back to her!” Louis tilted his head up to stare straight into the eyes of the boy who was one head taller than him and half a shoulder length wider than him.

The older boy smirked at Louis and gave him a hard push. Louis staggered a step back.

“Louis,” Jessica cried. She was more frightened than before because she was afraid that Louis would be hurt.

Hearing her cries, Louis’ rage grew stronger and he pushed the older boy back. Without surprise, the bigger boy didn’t even move an inch. Instead he snickered at Louis’ puny attempt. Louis felt his cheeks burnt but he refused to back down. He made another attempt and he rammed his head onto the boy’s chest. This time he managed to knock him over. Together they fell onto the ground with Louis on top. Grabbing the boy’s shirt and sitting firmly on the torso of the bigger boy, Louis demanded once again that the boy gave Jessica’s colour pencils back to her. The boy grabbed Louis by his collars and tried to sit up. Just as the two boys were struggling against each other, a teacher approached them and broke the fight.

Jessica, who was standing nearby, walked over and gave the bigger boy a kick at his crotch, earning her a detention together with the two boys. When she heard her punishment, she smiled to Louis.

That day the teacher told Louis that violence will not bring forth justice and rules must be followed for order to prevail. From then on, Louis’ ambition was to be a lawyer.

** 1983 **   

They were walking home from school when they heard soft mewing sounds from the bushes. Jessica passed her books and her school bag to Louis and ventured towards the source of the sound. As she parted the branches and peered into the greens, she saw a little furry ball. She stretched out her hands and lifted a small brown kitten. She grinned at Louis who shook his head at her. He knew that their mothers would never let them keep the kitten. She pouted at him and walked home with the kitten in her arms, with Louis walking one step behind her with their books and bags.

Giving the excuse that she was doing her homework and school project with Louis, she spent the afternoon and had dinner at Louis’ place that day. When the night came and she had to go home, she beseeched him to let the kitten stayed in his room. Despite his reluctance, he still gave in to her pleas.

Their little secret lasted for two days with Louis’ mother finding the kitten under his bed on the third day. The kitten was sent away and Louis was grounded for one month. But apart from not being to play outside his house, there wasn't much difference for Louis because he still had Jessica’s company for that one month and time spent with Jessica was mostly fun.

** 1988 **

Jessica was a smart nerd in high school. With her thick glasses, over-sized sweaters and unflattering jeans, she did not attract much attention if not for Louis always being with her.

Louis was the “it” boy in school. Apart from his good grades, he was athletic with good looks and a sculpted body. It seemed to others that he had achieved his grades effortlessly as he was always seen in basketball practice. However, in reality his grades were achieved through constant burning of midnight oil and Jessica’s assistance. 

The only thing that could lure Jessica from her usual hide-out in the library was Louis’ matches. She had never missed any of his matches. She always sat on the last bench watching him played.

This was the final game he would lead their school in before they graduated. As usual, he had played well and was the top scorer once again. The cheerleaders crowded around him at the end of the game and some of them had boldly kissed his cheeks while congratulating him. She was jubilant that he had won but she watched his interaction with the flirty cheerleaders with the same unexpressed sadness whenever another girl was close to him.  Seeing how popular he was with the girls, she never thought that she would ever have a chance with him. He would always be the big brother to her.

When the whole commotion was over, he strode up the benches to Jessica who smiled broadly at him. Together they made their way down the steps and Jessica waited while he showered and changed. She joined him and his team-mates in their celebration.

It wasn’t a surprise to anyone when they had attended their graduation prom night as partners that year.

** 1989 **

Louis had won a scholarship to study at a college in a bigger and farther city while Jessica attended a college which was nearer to home. For the first time after fourteen years, they were not in each other’s constant companionship. This was also the first Christmas that they spent apart from each other.

However, their thoughts were not far from each other. Louis had sent her a necklace for Christmas and she had sent him an engraved pen.

** 1990 **

That Christmas Louis had invited Jessica to spend her holiday with him in the city. When he picked her up at the airport, he almost could not recognise her. She had blossomed during their time apart. Her oversized and baggy clothing were replaced with fitting ones. She had ditched her glasses for contact lens and her sneakers for ballet pumps in kitten heels. Around her neck was the necklace that he had given her. As he took her in from head to toe, she felt awkward and shy. But all uneasiness was gone the moment he came forward to hug her like an old friend.

She had a new found air of confidence which he was attracted to. She had always been able to fit in with the guys but he watched with discomfort at the attention that his friends were showering her with. He wanted so much to keep her solely to himself.

At the airport, before she entered departure gate, he almost wanted to ask her to be his girlfriend but the fear of losing their friendship stopped him from doing so.

** 1991 **

Both Louis and Jessica had returned home to spend this Christmas with their families because Bobby would be moving to another part of the world after the holiday.

Bobby had mischievously hung the mistletoe over the Christmas tree before asking Louis and Jessica to retrieve the presents under it for distribution. When both of them were under the mistletoe, Bobby urged Louis to kiss Jessica where their parents looked on with wide grins on their faces. Their mothers had been hoping that Louis and Jessica would be together because they had grown so fond of the other child that they had treated them like their own. This was how Jessica’s first kiss was given away.

Just as sweetness filled her heart, it was overtaken by sadness when she heard him said “I miss you” over the phone. She left the present in her hand quietly on the floor outside his slightly ajar bedroom door.

 

 

(26.12.2013)