1.

The purest love

          For the 5th time of the week, you were staring at the sonogram of the human being growing inside your tummy. Indeed, you had been carrying a baby for 3 months. Since you discovered it, about six weeks ago, everything went wrong. Your previous boyfriend, the father, dumped you and refused to acknowlegde the baby as his. You had been alone and hopeless when you went to your parents' home, spending some spare money for the bus ride. However, nothing had been as you expected. Your father was angry because of the pregnancy but your mother's reaction was the worst one. She had told you that if you had enough time to get yourself a boyfriend and getting pregnant, then you would be able to manage the situation by yourself. To make a long story short, everybody left you... no boyfriend, no parents. You could only count on yourself.

At first, you weren't able to imagine having a baby and wanted to abort. However, you couldn't stand the atmosphere of the hospital's waiting room. Some girls were saying that they were used to this method, almost proud of sleeping in many different guys' bed. Another one seemed weak and reluctant, she was accompanied by a man, whom you supposed was the father. Seeing the woman's fear, it was the evidence that the man came here to force her abortion. The fear also got to you. When a nurse called your name, you were too afraid to get inside. That was how you gave up on the idea.

A tear fell down on the sonogram when you remembered your mother's cruel words. Wiping the tear away, you realized that you had to keep strong for the baby, it might feel sad if you weren't. To get the heartbreaking thought out of your head, you decided to do the duties and cleaned the house. Some times later, you went to the supermarket.

 

          Jeong Hun was standing in front of the milk shelf. He didn't know which flavor his son, Jun Hyung, would like the most. The look on the man's face showed how hard it was to raise this young man alone. Every nights, he promised to his late lover, Han Byul, that he would do his best to change their son into a good man. He was about to put the chocolate flavoured milk into his shopping basket when someone behind him grumbled in pain. Turning away, he saw a young lady, you had an hand on her tummy and the other on the shop's shelf to support your body. Without a second thought, he wrapped an arm around the woman's waist, noticing some blood on the floor. The trembling worried voice, belonging to the lady, told him that she was pregnant. Trying not to panic, Jeong Hun carried her bridal style to his car then drove as fast as he could to the nearest hospital. There, everything went fast. His heart fluttered when he saw the girl's face, she looked alike his late Han Byul.

 

          You had to blink a few times to get a better vision of things. Slowly, light and a face appeared. A fair smiling face. It took you some time to realize where you were.

 

You : how is my baby ??

Nurse : the baby is safe Miss. You'll have to be more careful with emotional matters. Don't pressure yourself too much

You : thank you very much !

Nurse : I'm not the one you should thank. Ahjussi, please come in

 

The nurse left the room with her still so-bright smile, saying that she would come again later. A man got inside, a stranger. He bowed and so did you. Then, he sat on the couch which was next to the bed. It was your first time being in such a luxurious room at an hospital. The atmosphere was weird because you didn't know the man and so dare not talking. He was the first who broke the silence.

 

Jeong Hun : well.. I'm the one who brought you here

You : omo jeongmal kamsahabnida Ahjussi ! I don't know how to thank you for saving my baby

Jeong Hun : why is such a young girl alone ? Don't you have any relatives ?

You : aniyo.. my boyfriend broke up and my parents don't want to see me anymore...

Jeong Hun : ouchh I'm sorry

You : it's alright. I'm not alone

 

          With a weak smile, you rubbed your tummy. This scene caused a smile to play on the older man's face. His gaze was intense but you weren't uncomfortable, which was weird. It felt as if you'd always known this person.

 

Jeong Hun : I have to congratulate you. So many girls abort these days

You : oh.. I wanted to before but... I couldn't do it

Jeong Hun : at least, you keep it. This is the most meaningful action

You : I know it'll be hard but I can't kill an innocent baby. And I'm already loving it

Jeong Hun : I bet you'll be a great mother

You : I hope so

 

With a smile, Jeong Hun took some money and his business card out of his wallet. He put both on the bedside table, earning a questionning look from the girl.

 

Jeong Hun : if you have any problem, call me

You : aigoo I don't need that money Ahjussi

Jeong Hun : I won't take it back

You : but.. really... you don't have to do this

Jeong Hun : I want to

You : I'll pay you back someday Ahjussi. I promise

Jeong Hun : there is no need. The only way to show me your gratitude is to be healthy and keep in touch with me

You : this is too nice. Thanks a lot Ahjussi

Jeong Hun : I have to go now. My son must be waiting for me. The doctor said you'll be released tomorrow so I'll come to pick you up okay ?

You : it would be very kind of you

Jeong Hun : rest well. See you Miss

 

Jeong Hun bowed a bit before leaving. Once he reached his car, he took his phone out and noticed that he was already late. Jun Hyung would be really mad. Mentally scolding himself, he drove to the university.

 

          From afar, Jun Hyung recognized his father's car. Pissed off, he grabbed his bag and walked to the parking lot which wasn't so far. As usual, he got into the vehicle and slammed the door loudly to show his anger. Even though he looked strong, inside Jun Hyung was very sad. He didn't know what to think. Each time he ended school early and asked Jeong Hun to pick him up, his father always came late. Was he seeing a woman ? That was the question that kept bothering the young man. Even if it had been a long time since his mother died, he couldn't accept the fact that Jeong Hun might want to start a new life. To Jun Hyung, Han Byul was everything. He knew how hard it had been for her to carry him, she went through so much troubles because of him.. and mostly because of Jeong Hun too. That was the reason why Jun Hyung wasn't close to his father, to him, if his mother passed away, it was his father's fault.

As soon as they reached the house, Jun Hyung left to his room, locking himself inside it. There, he kneeled in front of his late mother's photograph which was onto his bedside table.

 

Jun Hyung : Eomma... how are you doing up there ? I really miss you, you know. Jeong Hun tries his best to be a good father but he never tries to understand what's wrong with me. He buys many things for me but maybe too much. My love can't be bought... Eomma~~ Please, look after me nae ? I really need you...

 

His mother in the heaven was the only one who knew her son's real personality. Behind his strong and difficult character, Jun Hyung was a weak guy who needed affection.