01

Vengeance

Seo Yeon picked up the poster with quivering hands, examining the text with more depth. She scrambled for her phone, fumbling with her password, and made a reminder.

Call SM on XXX-XXX-XXX

Placing the phone back into her pocket, she made her way home.

 

“Appa I’m back!” Her father looked up from the newspaper in his hands, and nodded in acknowledgment. Seo Yeon quickly assembled herself in front of him.

“Appa, I’m planning to move out. I do believe I need my personal space, and that you need yours too.”

Correction: Seo Yeon was still afraid of her father.

“…And I’m planning to move out as soon as possible.” She looked at him for a response, in which she was greeted with another slight nod and a low gruff, Seo Yeon swiftly her heels towards her bedroom, grabbing a small bag and her possessions.

“I’m just going to the coffee shop.” She called out to her father, gently closing the front door, and tightening her coat in the chilly, winter air.

 

“One strawberry shortcake and a mocha please.” The waitress jotted her order down, before disappearing just as fast as she came. Seo Yeon took out her phone, staring once again at the reminder that filled the screen. Footsteps started making their way towards her, so she tore her gaze and looked up.

“Ah… Thank you. Here’s a tip.” She fetched out her wallet, and handed a crisp bill, and she bowed gratefully, quickly making her way back to the counter. Taking a small bite from the cake, she savoured the sweetness, washing it away with the bitterness of the coffee. After finishing the delight, Seo Yeon took one final sip from the mocha, setting down the cup and unlocking her phone.

“Hello?” Strangely, she heard the same voice echo twice.

“Hi… I’m calling for the application as a detective for SM?” She looked around the shop, hearing a low ‘oh’ on the line.

“I think I see you, wait a second-“ She looked up, and met gazes with a male, not much older than her, with bright owl eyes. Seo Yeon pressed the end button on her mobile, and quickly made her way to the male.

“Are you the organiser of the applications?” The guy nodded, and Seo Yeon bowed.

“Seo Yeon imnida. And you are…?”

“Kyungsoo, or D.O.” He gave a small smile, gesturing at the seat in front of him. Seo Yeon sat down, and faced him.

“Do you have any working experience, whatsoever, dealing with detective or crime solving?” Seo Yeon stuttered, looking away as she responded.

“Not necessarily… But I have a deep interest in such subjects, and wish to make a career out of it.” D.O peered at her closely, taking quick notes on her words.

“I see… We might get you to do a quick test at SM then. Can we get your number, and your details?” Seo Yeon spoke quickly, nodding at his words in agreement.

“We’ll see you tomorrow at the SM building, nine thirty am sharp, arraso?” She nodded, getting up from her seat and shaking his hand.

“One last question… Will I be working with you?”

“No… However, when you go to the front desk, ask for Chen.”

 

Stretching her arms, Seo Yeon woke up the next morning, checking her calendar for upcoming events.

Interview with SM- Oh!

She sat up straight, fumbling with her phone.

8:30AM

Making a beeline towards the bathroom, she took a quick shower. Placing on a white blouse and a pair of grey slacks, she topped the outfit with an ebony trench coat, fiddling with the buttons with one hand as she reached out for a scarf with the other. She fled down the stairs, stopping at the kitchen to make a quick breakfast.

“What’s with all the noise?” Flashing a quick smile to her father, she buttered the toast.

“Job interview at nine thirty.” She propped the toast in between her teeth while she washed up her mess.

“Oh… I see. Good luck then.” Her father turned back to his study, continuing to read the morning paper. Seo Yeon reached out for her bag, fitting into a pair of flats as she made her way towards the front door.

“I’ll be leaving now, appa.” Seo Yeon closed the door behind her, flagging down a taxi.

“To SM building please.” The driver nodded, gunning down the roads as Seo Yeon finished her breakfast.

“We’re here, miss.” The vehicle was parked in front of a glossy white building, a contrast to the darker, and not as clean buildings surrounding the area. Seo Yeon with some bills, saying her thanks as she handed them over to the driver. She stepped out, her eyes darting towards the gigantic sign.

Welcome to SM. Reception on ground floor.

Looking at the map provided, she made her way to the reception, where a woman in her late twenties was seated.

“This is SM performing arts, how I can help you?” She beamed while Seo Yeon looked around.

“I’m here for…” She looked down onto her phone.

“…Chen?” The receptionist instantly dropped her smile and frowned.

“Oh I see. Follow me then.” The woman got up, striding down the long corridors of the building. They passed many doors, in which had names like ‘Dance Practice Room’ plastered on them. Seo Yeon looked confusedly at each passing door.

Aren’t they- Wait. This is a performing arts studio. Why is a detective branch located here?

“Here.” The receptionist left quickly, giving a polite bow of the head before scurrying away back to her desk. Seo Yeon scanned her surroundings, immediately alarmed at the metal door in front of her. Dumbfounded, she stood there for a silent minute before having the courage to knock, the vibration of the metal thundering down the long corridor.

“Hello- Oh.” The door was opened by a… male who looked ten years younger than her.

“Hi…Applications for new side-detective?” The male looked at her quizzically, eyeing from head to toe, and Seo Yeon stood in the awkward silence.

“Are you sure you’re not coming here to stalk us for our looks?” She widened her eyes at the sudden accusation.

“No… what are you talking about?”

“Never mind, the name’s Luhan. Come in.” He gestured for her to follow him, in which she did so, trailing like a lost puppy in the middle of the hardware department.

“Who’s that with you Luhan- Oh hello Seo Yeon!” Kyungsoo gave her an amiable wave, in which she bowed her head in return.

“Hello Kyungsoo-ssi.”

“You know her?” Luhan stared at her, then stared at D.O, then returned his gaze back on Seo Yeon.

“Yeah, she applied for Chen’s detective thingy. We met coincidentally at the coffee shop which is fifteen minutes walk away from here.”

“Oh I see. Come a long then.” Seo Yeon followed the two men, pacing through another door, and was greeted by the site of several other girls waiting.

“Whoa.... Are you all here for the applications?” D.O eyed each and every one of them, as the females all nodded enthusiastically.

“Do any of you have work experience?” They shook their heads.

“Well... Uhh... You see these rooms down the hallway? Can each of you separate yourselves so that it’s one person per room? You can stand outside the door for now.” The girls stood up, assembling themselves hastily, whilst Seo Yeon just glanced at them.

“Do I go with them or...?”

“Oh that’s right! You can have this room here.” Kyungsoo pointed to the closest room, and Seo Yeon briskly ambled towards it.

“Each of you will be given a common knowledge test on mystery and detective work. There will be several questions which you are required to complete by the time limit of forty minutes. There will be no tolerance with cheating- all phones and devices are to be put here.” He held up a box.

“We will review your results and any evidence of successes that may or may not be useful to the detective department, and call you in to discuss your opportunities. Good luck. You may now begin.” Doors started opening and slamming. Seo Yeon sat down at her desk and started examining the questions.

Thank god mum was such a crime fiction freak. This will be a breeze.

Nearing the end, she found the questions were at a more difficult standard- questions that had to be thought out and properly planned before answering. Although detailed, the test overall wasn’t too bad, and Seo Yeon managed to revise her answers with five minutes to spare.

“Time’s up. Luhan will come around a pick up your papers. We have surveillance cameras on, if you haven’t noticed already. Quite unfortunate to have seen several of you cheat, I must say.” Seo Yeon looked up, her eyes leveling with the lens of a camera. Sneaky.

“You will be seated in the main reception of this detective branch, and await further instructions.” Seo Yeon put down her pencil, sighing as the door opened.

“You did well…Well that’s what it looked like from the camera.” Luhan sent her a wink, in which she looked away embarrassed.

“Thanks.”

“The main reception is just down the corridor. Turn right when you see another metal door.” She stood up from her chair, smiling gratefully.

“Thank you, Luhan-ssi.”

Seo Yeon followed his exact instructions, noticing all of the other appliers already seated and waiting.

Are there that many girls my age interested in the detective industry? Or is it because the main detective is some godly creature and that they’re all try-hards with no knowledge whatsoever?

Seo Yeon shrugged, sitting down on the only vacant seat, and patiently waited.

 

oOoOo

 

Chen’s POV

“-And clearly, you have no potential to be a side detective at all. I’m sorry, Mi Young, we can’t let you have the job.” Chen glimpsed at the dejected girl, whilst D.O gave her a small pat on the back, escorting her out of his office.

Chen looked across the table, meeting Luhan’s gaze.

“This is going so well.” He scoffed, and Luhan merely shrugged.

“ to be you. Why do you have to be so famous and good looking? Attention hogger.” Chen shot daggers at the older one, who mehronged playfully back.

“Thank god there’s one more to go.” He looked through the papers, before setting them back down again.

“Next!” The door opened, revealing Kyungsoo and the last applier. Chen eyed her, before making a side comment.

“Finally, someone without a skirt up cut up to their . She still looks just like everyone else who came before.” Luhan snickered.

“She’s different.”

“I choose not to believe that.” He turned back to the girl in front of him.

“Name?”

“Jung Seo Yeon.” Chen sifted through the papers, stopping at the one with the neatly written name.

Whoa… All correct? Even the long response ones?

“Did you cheat?” She shook her head, and he lifted an eyebrow at D.O.

“She didn’t.” Chen was surprised, starting to skim through her answers.

Her way of thinking and her responses…. They’re similar to Detective 58’s way of planning. How queer.

“Do you know your codes?”

“I know several…”

“How about this one?” He quickly scrawled some characters on a blank note, pushing it in front of the sitting female. She scanned the paper, reaching out with her hand across the desk, before retreating.

“May I borrow a pen?” Chen glanced at her surprised.

She figured it out? He handed her a pen, and she quickly took it, neatly writing some words beneath.

“Morse code. A series of dashes and dots, which are composed to make words. I thought this was a detective department?” She pushed the sheet of paper back, in which he gave to Luhan to examine.

“Ayoo waddup? Really Chen? You have no-“

“Oh shut up Luhan. And Seo Yeon? It doesn’t matter. We still need to crack codes in order to be able to comprehend the clues we’re given.” Chen glanced at Luhan, who smirked.

“Told you.” He whispered. Chen lifted his arms up.

“Oh please.” He set them back down, and handed the girl in front of him a form.

“So… I think you’re fit for the job. Hang on let me call in Detective 64.” The door opened, revealing another work mate of his.

“Yo what’s up Chen?” The new figure smiled, glancing around the room.

“Hey Suho. Since you’re the boss and everything, mind checking these?” He handed Suho the stack of papers.

“Oh… This is for the decision of your new partner in crime?” Chen nodded. Suho crouched down, level to level with Chen’s ear.

“You should totally take her. She looks experienced, for some reason. Her responses…They sound a lot like 58’s.” He whispered.

“They do, don’t they? And… ok. I just wasn’t sure- I had eleven other applications which were all frauds.” He shrugged indifferently, opening one of the cabinets and taking out a stack of papers.

“Welcome to SM, Jung Seo Yeon.”

 


Yehet.

Leave a comment kbye.