02

Vengeance

Seo Yeon’s POV

“As of needed by SM, you will be given a numbered name, in your case…” Chen looked down, doing a quick calculation. “You will be agent 201.”

“Wait how did you just form my name-“

“That’s for me to know and you to find out.” He gestured at the heap of sheets in front of her.

“That’s the stack of papers you need to fill out. They’re all registrations and more similar crap. As you are to be my assistant, or side detective whatever they call it, you are required to move out of your current home, and to move into of the lodges provided by the company. You will be sharing the lodge, your housemates who happen to be… Luhan and Lay. Oh, lucky you.”

Does that mean I don’t have to live with appa anymore? If that’s the case… I hope living with two guys won’t be too troublesome.

“Hey that’s me!” Luhan pointed to himself proudly, grinning from ear to ear. “Seo Yeon’s living with the two L’s~”

“Luhan, shut up. Do you not understand those two simple words? Anyways, you will be issued with a phone within the next two hours-“

“I need a new phone?”

“As required by SM. You need to be updated all times, and by some black magic on the phone’s system, you can easily access and transfer information. The only exception is if you already have the phone-Wait.” He paused, and Seo Yeon watched as his eyes widened a slight fraction. “Can I see your mobile?” She looked downwards to her pocket, her mind relieved that even though the device was sticking out, it hadn’t fallen out yet.

“Oh. Here.” She handed him the phone, and he examined it thoroughly, his eyebrows creasing.

“Where’d you get this from?” His eyes narrowed at the screen, and he flipped it over.

“A family member.” She twiddled her thumbs nervously.

“Can you type in your passcode? I’ll just get someone to update the software for you then.” She ran her fingers over the screen, passing the device back once it was unlocked.

“D.O, can you cancel the delivery of the new phone?” Kyungsoo nodded, taking out his mobile and heading outside to proceed with the call.

“Call in 38 please.” Chen spoke, and the door abruptly opened to reveal another male.

“Technology department, how can I help- Jongdae?” The new figure raised an eyebrow, expecting his explanation to be short and straight towards the point. Chen threw the phone at to him, in which he swiftly caught with one hand.

“Lay, I need you to update the software on her phone.”

“But don’t they automatically update themselves after identity authorisation?”

“Case fifty-two.”

“Oh I see.” He looked at the fading screen for a good five seconds, before he noticed the unfamiliar figure sitting down.

“Your new lodge buddy.”

New?”

“Yep. She’s the new side detective.” Yixing looked doubtfully at her.

“I would have expected someone close to Xiu- I mean detective 90. At least his gender.”

“On the contrary, there turned out to be only female applicants.” Luhan muttered.

“I need to take this up to my place to fix up.”

“Which is a good thing. Very convenient for Seo Yeon.” She picked up the message.

“I’m moving in today?”

“You will be starting today, Seo Yeon. That includes both moving in and working for us.” The words caught her off guard.

“So soon?” She whispered, eyeing the clock as it struck noon. Jongdae shuffled the papers on his desk, so that it was now neat and that the files were put accordingly.

“I’ll give you two hours to let you move into the lodge, arasso? I’ll get someone to pick up your stuff. We’ll have the briefing afterwards.“ She nodded, standing up from her seat.

“Luhan, Lay, try not to be so hostile.” The two of them rolled their eyes.

“As if we’re mean.”

“Cancellation complete.” D.O came through the door. Chen nodded, and he left without a word. Luhan and Lay soon followed afterwards.

“Good luck with your work, Seo Yeon.” Suho gave her an amiable smile, in which she returned back, and he too, walked out of the room. Chen pushed forward a small sheet.

“You are dismissed.” Seo Yeon bowed, leaving the room, and finding her way through the vast amounts of corridors. Treading out of the glass doors, she immediately set her mind to cleaning out her room. Knowing the route from the building, she walked home hastily.

 

 “Appa?” Seo Yeon closed the door behind her, slipping out of her flats and making her way down the hallway. Halting in front of the study, she gave a light knock, opening the door and greeted by the sight of the old man writing in his notes. 

"Hm?” She glanced nervously around.

“I’m moving out today.” Her father’s eyes widened.

“So soon?”

“Yeah… The det- I mean college has dorms in them for us.” She mumbled, looking away. Her father had always hated the detective, mystery theme, always sticking with his professional ways. If he knew about her new job, who knows what could have happened? Immediate objection to employment, of course, but her rights could have been taken away too. Worst case scenario, her death the same way as her mother’s, only too soon.

He grumbled in response. “Well start packing then.” She nodded, racing herself up the stairs of the small house. Taking out a luggage case, Seo Yeon opened her wardrobe, unloading her clothes into the carrier. She didn’t have many clothes, a few simple blouses, slacks and jackets, but they kept her comfortably fit in any scenario.

After finishing off her clothes, she sighed, skimming her hand over her bed covers. Taking a separate bag, she carefully laid in her photo frames, a few of them containing memories when her mother was still around. Most of them were taken from around ten years ago, her visits to Lotte World, her birthday celebrations, and her visits to other states of the country.

Just stop, Seo Yeon. You’re getting ahead of yourself.

Zipping up the bags, she piled them at the doorway, carrying one by one towards the front door. Glancing at the time, she managed a quick lunch, and finished roughly five minutes before assistance arrived. The abrupt ding of the doorbell pulled her from her thoughts, and she flung open the door.

“Uh… Jung Seo Yeon?” She nodded.

“I’m Chanyeol, part of the transportation services that the department branch offers. Also a part field detective.” He picked up one of the suitcases and bags on the floor.

“Oh there’s no need – I can handle this myself!” She grasped for the luggage, but he kept a firm grip on it.

“Don’t worry, I can manage.” Seo Yeon reluctantly pulled her hand away, carrying a few of her own bags herself.

“Appa, I’m leaving! I hope to see you soon.” She closed the door gently behind her; the soft click of the door was the last thing she heard before making her way to the vehicle.

 

“These are the lodges. I’ll drop you off at the curb, and you can find your way from there?” She studied the neighbourhood.

"I guess so. Thank you Chanyel-ssi."

“No need for the formalities.” He parked the car, opening the doors and helping her with the luggage.

“I wish you well with your role now, as Chen’s side. You do know he’s the main detective of SM now, right?” She shook her head, her eyes a slight fraction bigger. She bowed again, smiling, and dragged her luggage over the concrete paths of the neighbourhood.

Number Three… She inspected the streets, stopping at one particular lodge.

“Oh hey. There you are. Took you long enough.” Luhan flashed her a smile.

“How long were you waiting?”

“Twenty minutes I guess? Don’t worry, it wasn’t that long.” He unlatched the gate, allowing her to freely go inside.

“You didn’t have to wait.” She sighed, pulling her suitcases. Luhan lead her down a few hallways and corridors, stopping at the second level where the bedrooms were located.

“This is your room. I’m opposite yours, and Lay is down the hallway. If you have any questions, ask me as Lay is usually busy with his work. But he’s really friendly once you get to know him.” He handed her a set of keys, unlocking her room as he was about to leave.

“Settle in quickly. We need to leave in about fifteen minutes for the briefing, remember?” And with that, he left. Seo Yeon looked around, adjusting to the new place she was going to stay.

It’s pretty… neat I guess?

She ped her bags, and flung the wardrobe doors open, filling the empty shelves with her clothes. After setting up, she sat down on the bed. Well…This is it.

“Seo Yeon? Kaja.”

 

“Thanks again, Luhan-ssi.”

“Drop the formalities, won’t you?” He ruffled her hair as the entered the building once again. He knocked on the door, and a low ‘come in’ responded.

“Take a seat.” Chen sorted through his papers, taking several pieces of information out.

“Fifteen years ago, we had a top detective named 58. She solved many cases on her own, and she was one of the best agents the detective agency had ever had. However, several years ago, she was killed. She was found in a warehouse not too far from here, but there were no traces left behind. The case was long dropped, as no one could figure anything out.

Not too long ago, Xiumin, detective 90, discovered something, which triggered many assumptions on the notes we had. As he recalled, 58 was found in a very queer position, almost as if she had been dragged to the scene. On the other hand, Xiumin never told us what he found out, as he quickly ran off to do his own researching. Just last night, he was found dead at another warehouse, killed and left exactly in the same way 58 was killed- a slash at the heart and scratches from the shoulders upwards.” He sunk back into his chair, tapping his fingers on the arm rest.

“Any questions?”

“Where do I come in this?” She noticed his face contort into pain for a second, before he replaced it with another neutral expression.

“Xiumin… Well he was my former side detective.” The words struck her like a bomb, and she sat up straighter.

“Oh… I’m sorry.”

“Don’t be.” He sighed, passing a folder full of photos to her.

"This is what was found at the scene when 58 died. Even the veil was put on." I swear I’ve seen that design before.

“These are the pictures that were taken at the site last night.” She glanced thoroughly at both pictures, the first incomprehensible, but the second with a slight glimmer of hope.

“Any thoughts or questions?”

“What was Xiumin doing at this time?”

“He was meant to be questioning citizens.”

“Do you know whether he died on the scene?”

“He was mildly warm… we’re pretty sure he was killed there.” She hummed in thought.

“Have you ever considered body language?”

 


Yehet.