Prologue

Vengeance

 

An ear-piercing scream drifted into the night, as the moon loomed above the clouds. The sound of sirens in the distance alerted the figure, who swiftly withdrew from the scene, taking one last glance before shoving his knife back into his backpack and fleeing.

 

oOoOo

 

Jolting awake from the sudden ringing of the phone, a soft sigh escaped his chapped lips. his lips to moisturise them once again, he quickly averted his gaze to the clock, which read the time. 12:50am.

Looking back at the ringing phone positioned on his desk, he shook himself out of his daze, reaching for the cellphone.

“SM Department, Detective Jongdae speaking.” Silence engulfed the room as he intently listened to a new filed report. However, the name of one of the victims struck him.

Kim Minseok? No, it can’t be the one I know. He’s safe. He’s only going out investigating with an undercover team, looking for clues and questioning citizens. Only three days have passed, which is normal. It’s a coincidence, just someone with the same name.

Chen murmured thanks in response lethargically, before ending the call almost immediately. He picked up his car keys, phone, suitcase and, torch whilst flinging on a dark olive trench coat that ended at his knees. Closing the door of his office, Chen stared at Xiumin’s office, eyes full of worry as well as confusion. Shaking it off, he traipsed to his car, simply counting down the seconds when getting to the crime scene.

The slam of the car door caught the attention of nearby people, giving curt nods towards Chen before going back to whatever they were doing. The snow crunched under his shoes, where he made his way down to the scene. Carefully, he lifted the ‘caution’ tape and smoothly entered the area that was off-limits.

“Approximate death was 11:30pm; reported by passersby an hour ago who happened to visit the area on their way back home. They said to have heard distant screams, at the supposed time of the victims’ death. Two reported dead, one missing, and not a single suspect in sight. The victims are Kwon Sujong and Kim Minseok,” The officer announced, after giving a slight bow towards the group of detectives and leaving to do further questioning.

The newly received information began to sink in, as Chen stared blankly at the ground. His crime partner’s name was mentioned once again. Cautiously walking, he stopped as officers began taking photos of the bodies as evidence. Examining both lifeless bodies, he first scanned the female who seemed familiar to him, although he just couldn’t make out whom. Then, it hit him. This was the same woman who went with Xiumin on the case to investigate a previous murder case. But where was the second detective?

Chen slowly turned his head to the right, seeing the corpse of a male with brown hair, mono-eyelids and porcelain white skin, whose eyes were wide open. He could recognise this face anywhere. A wave of guilt, frustration and worry washed over him. Lifting his head, he locked gazes with another workmate. D.O read Chen’s eyes, its message questioning if what everything that happened was true; Kyungsoo simply nodded his head solemnly, before turning on his heel and escaping Chen’s vision.

So it was really true. Xiumin, his loyal workmate and partner, was gone.

 

oOoOo

 

It was that one night, on Christmas Eve, that her mother disappeared from her life. At that time, Sung Seo Yeon was only ten- a tender and naïve age.

“Your mother left us” Her father would say, and she would believe his every word. But it had taken her three years until she realised that she was never coming back.

She still remembered that very night, a blood-curdling cry followed by the loud sickening thump, the banging against the doors echoing down the corridors of her house. Seo Yeon would always think, being at such a young age, that friendly giants had come to raid the house for food. But ever since the realisation, it would haunt her so bad that she would only get up to four hours of sleep.

She didn’t grow up an easy life, living with only her dad alone. She matured quicker than others, and paid more attention to her education than the gossip life around her. She had a couple of friends, who mainly whined about the newest fashion trends, but she on the other hand, never really got along with them well. So Yeon didn’t have the tendency to speak much, being the patient and observed one.

Jung Seo Yeon was just like any other typical teenager.  Jet-black straight hair, pale skin and her experienced eyes, which had that dark look in them.

Seo Yeon would stick up for her own rights, and she knew the difference between a good deed and a bad deed.

But Seo Yeon was also conscious enough not to call the police. After all, she knew she was living with a killer under the same roof, meaning she could perish just as quickly as her mother. Her father was a time bomb, with every second that ticked by; she never knew whether he’d ever strike or not. Just one wrong move, and it would all go down; she needed to be cautious.

 

oOoOo

 

Taking slow steps towards the exit of the lecture room, she watched as the others rushed passed her to leave. Seo Yeon had just finished her lectures in Forensic Science and Criminal Justice, which she participates in college to achieve her desired job. A job that’d end the 19 years of her misery and insecurities, one where she could escape it all.

She came to a pause as a poster flew at her and stopped on her shin. Her eyes fixated to the poster to view what it was. Probably some advertisement for a new device of some sort. However, her eyes did a double take at what it said: Applications open for position of side detective at SM Crime Department

Maybe this was it; could this be the job that could end all things. One that’d lead others to find the definite truth of her mother’s death?

 


AN: Anneyong. ^^

I'm starting a new fanfic (YEY) with my family friend. ^_____________^

Kbye. Drop a comment c:>