Comfortable.

Silence.

~Kyungsoo~

As time went on I became more than comfortable with Ava; I began to rely on her strength, her courage and the confidence that shown so brightly against my meekness. I willingly became someone that associated myself with her in hopes that maybe I could become more like her, that maybe I could have confidence and grow to be someone who shined so brightly. She never let her surroundings dictate how she held herself and she definitely didn't hesitate to stand up for herself when she was thrown racist comments while out with me. Since she understood Korean fluently and could speak it just as well she handeled herself with no remorse to others' feelings. I admired her, I needed her and after six months I began to love her. Ava knew about my past, well at least parts of it, on late nights when I inwardly refused to go home, she allowed me to stay at her place, which was a lot more flamboyant than I assumed it would be. With marble countertops, wood floors and a chefs kitchen I forced myself to not ask any questions and limit my staring. It wasn't until she began speaking that I realized my shock must've been obvious, " My step father comes from a rich family. Him and my mother still live in America but his family has allowed me to reside in this apartment whenever I am in town." she said with a small smile on her face. I smiled back at Ava politely allowing myself to feel jealous at a later time. "My life hasn't always been like this Kyungsoo. Don't feel any negativity towards me because your taking a small glance at how I live now, okay." I didn't think she knew, but she saw my face fall and I meekly responded with, " I'm sorry, I didn't mean to." Ava knew parts, sections of my life that I allowed myself to reveal to her, she knew that my mother left me and my father at a young age but she had not one single ounce of knowledge about my home life. When she asked about all of the marks I had on my body on almost a daily basis I responded with, " For recreational purposes I sometimes go to this dojo where I train. We get a bit too rough at times and I end up leaving with a few more scratches, I assume. " I plead with God that she didn't hear the shakiness in my voice or see the hesitant shudder that ran up my spine as I lied to her. I didn't want to lie but I had to, there was no other way. If I would have told her the truth than she would leave, I know she would because its happened so many times before and quite honestly I wanted to be selfish and keep her as close as I possibly could. The truth would come out sooner or later but who knew that the latter wouldn't be first.

~Ava~

After a night full of laughter, jokes, movies, pizza and way too many cinnamons rolls to count I decide that 2:00 am is a good time to finally take Kyungsoo home. " I can drive you back to your place, I doubt there are any taxis left on the road plus I wouldn't want you to take the bus." He hesitantly acccepts my offer and were off to his home. As I get out of the car I hear a door open and a strange man begins to walk towards us. "Ava stay back and don't come in okay. Have a good night." Kyungsoo says in a hushed tone with a worried glance. As the man walks closer to my car Kyungsoo runs up to him and I hear a loud thud then see a body on the ground. "Where the have you been huh son? Weren't you supposed to be home earlier?" The man standing above him says in a hushed yet gruff tone. I stand there shocked and unable to move. Is this why he always has new cuts and bruises? Is this why he has never invited me over to his home? As I run forwards I hear him screaming for me to stop, to leave to just go away for now that he will call me later after everything is taken care of. I don't listen, I'm not going to stop let alone leave him in the arms of this man. After what seems like a mile of running, with my adrenaline pumping, I lift Kyungsoo off of the ground. "Come on get up now!" I scream with anger lacing through my voice. " don't you dare touch him! Leave him the alone he's getting what he deserves." I bring my leg up as far as I can in order to make contact with his male ia in hopes that he falls onto the ground inmobile. I see him laying there a few feet away from Kyungsoo and I, yelling curses at me and saying that he will get me back. " Get off of the ground now, please." I am scared, sad and just in awe of the fact that he never told me about any of this. Were supposed to be friends and as a friend I am supposed to help him, care for him, protect him. Tears begin to fall out of his eyes as he pleads with me to just go, that I am making this worse than it needs to be. I don't listen and guide his small body towards my car. Even though we are close in height, I am still an inch or two taller than him which works in my favor today. "Shhh everything will be okay. Just spend tonight at my house."