Youngbae's Story

PIMP'ed OUT

The one person who lit up my life

 

While always shining like a dazzling star

 

You wouldn’t believe how earnestly

 

I’ve been wanting to find you

 

 

But I don’t wanna let you down

 

I was a coward, but since seeing you I’ve been growing more and more

 

You always give me a dream

 

Only for you, who’s become my future

 

Live from Pun Intended Media Productions Studio

 

Isobel Haumann (IH): Annyeong everyone. Welcome back to PIMP’ed OUT. For now, we leave Jiyong-shi at the backstage doing a ‘fake’ photoshoot. That would keep him occupied as we bring out our next guest (pauses for dramatic effect).

 

IH: Yes you guess it right. It’s none other than Mister Dong Youngbae himself. But just like Jiyong, he too doesn’t know about the presence of his best friend. So I would need everyone to pretend as though the other interview didn’t happen (winks at the camera and audience)

 

IH: Anyway, without further do, let’s roll the video on him.

 

Voiceover (VO): Dong Youngbae, born on May 18, 1988, Uijeongbu, Gyeonggi-do, South Korea, is better known by his stage name Taeyang or Sol. He is better known as the lead dancer and vocalist of the Kpop Idol group called BIGBANG. He is deemed by JYP himself as a dancer that knows how to play with the rhythm.

 

VO: He first appeared in Jinusean’s music video “A-yo” and approached YG Sajangnim directly to be trained under YG Entertainment at the age of 12 alongside fellow member and leader, G Dragon.

 

VO: He released his first solo single, “Only Look At Me”, an R&B song written by Teddy and Kush. That song earned him two awards from the 7th Korean Music Awards for Best R&B Song and Best R&B/Soul Album. Following that success, he released his first full album, Solar, with hits like “Where U At”, “Wedding Dress” and “I need a girl”. That led to him winning two Best Male Artist awards at 2010 Mnet Asian Music Awards and Seoul Music Awards respectively.

 

VO: And last November, he released his latest single, “Ringa Linga” which topped 5 countries iTunes charts in Singapore, Malaysia, Taiwan, Vietnam and Macau along with topping 7 music charts in Korea. He is yet to release his 2nd full album any time this year.

 

IH: Let’s give a warm PIMP’ed OUT welcome to Mister. Dong Youngbae himself!

 

Dong Youngbae aka Taeyang (YB): (Starts dancing onto stage from backstage) Annyeonghaseyo!

 

IH: Ah Youngbae-shi (chuckles). Please please have a seat.

 

IH: You definitely are staying true to your title of being a dancer that knows how to move with the music.

 

YB: Ne (chuckles and gives his signature eye smile). Ah it’s so nice to be in such a cosy stage.

 

IH: Do you really mean it or are you just being polite (wiggles her eyebrows cheekily)? You sure you are not saying that it is too small?

 

YB: (chuckles) Ani. Jingja! It is really cosy. I like being close to the audience like this. Very intimate.

 

IH: Ne, it is most certainly intimate (winks at the camera to the audience).

 

IH: Anyway Youngbae-shi, is it okay I call you by that? Or you prefer to be called by your stage name, Taeyang?

 

YB: Youngbae is fine. Taeyang just makes me feel like I will burn this place down (chuckles and smiles his eye smile).

 

IH: (chuckles along) Aish Youngbae-shi. Please don’t burn down my new studio.

 

YB: (chuckles again).

 

IH: Anyway, congratulations on the success of your latest single “Ringa Linga”. It definitely has a different vibe from your previous hits, “Wedding Dress” and “I need a girl”.

 

YB: Kamsahamnida Isobel-shi. I’m just glad that my latest single is well-received by everyone, even those who have never listen to Kpop music before. I was worried about how my fans will perceive the song as it is different, something new from me.

 

IH: It is something new from you as it has a more hiphop feel to it. I don’t deny wanting to dance along to it when I first hear it.

 

YB: That’s good. It goes to show that I achieved my vision behind that song.

 

YB: As it shows in the title, “Ringa Linga” was inspired by a Korean children’s song. The concept “Let’s dance together” came out when Jiyong and me were talking. It was mostly influenced by BIGBANG’s world tour.

 

YB: When we were on tour, we became more interested in other countries’ culture. That led us to thinking that Korea too has its own unique and distinct awesomeness. And we want to introduce those elements to the foreigners.

 

IH: I can see that you are really proud to be a Korean.

 

YB: Ne. I am definitely am proud to be a warm blooded Korean man. I am after all born and raise here. Though I love to travel and explore other people’s countries and culture, home to me is still Korea.

 

IH: (Nods her head in acknowledgment) Anyway, your 2nd full album is yet to be release. How would you describe to your fans the feel of this album?

 

YB: Umm... Given that my first album has an overall R&B theme, this album will have songs that are all unique in their styles. So it will be a more diverse musical experience. I want to show the different sides to me. I want my fans to see that Taeyang has grown both as a person and as a musician and am now becoming more distinct in his own way.

 

IH: Are you saying that the sweet boy next door is now an official bad boy (chuckles cheekily at YB)?

 

YB: (chuckles loudly) maybe (more chuckles).

 

IH: Aish you are definitely a nappeun namja (bad boy), Youngbae-shi (shakes her head in a mock concern).

 

IH: Anyway, I see that there are some changes in your styling now. You are no longer having your signature faux mohawk. Instead now it is more of a side-sweep-top style. I’ve seen you rock a few styles ever since your debut back in 2006 - some hits and some misses. So what gives you the inspiration for your new look?

 

YB: (chuckles) Well, firstly, my CEO, YG Sajangnim told me that it would be a good idea to try a hairstyle women would like. Like you said, I have tried various hair styles and that some are well-accepted while others just have people frowning at it.

 

IH: (Nods her head in agreement)

 

YB: Anyway, I decided to do it like this but I was told that this is also a tad too unique (looks at IH for her facial response)?

 

IH: (Trying to find the right words to reply YB) Umm... It certainly is unique – one that would catch everyone’s attention if you were to go out on a first date or something.

 

YB: It does kind of remind you of a cow it to one side, doesn’t it (again looks at IH for her response)?

 

IH: (Trying to hold her laughter but fails) if you were to put it that way.

 

YB: (Fakes a feeling of hurt) aish.. I was told this was a hairstyle that women might like (ends up laughing).

 

IH: Well, it does kind of grow on you after awhile. I was kind of waiting for the kind of hair style that you would be having for this solo comeback of yours. I mean, it has been 3 years since your “Solar” album. I was starting to wonder if you didn’t want to have your comeback because you can’t decide on your hair style concept.

 

YB: (chuckles) Aniyo! (more chuckles)

 

IH: I was so used to seeing you with your faux mohawk. You had that hair style to a point that it has past its expiration date (chuckles). Anyway, I love this hair style now. It reminds me of a blonde cotton candy.

 

YB: Blonde cotton candy huh? Well, you described it better than I do. I mean, my main source of inspiration for my hair comes from animals. When I look at animals, like cows in the field or scorpions in the deserts, I think to myself, “Ah, I should do my hair like that”.

 

YB: I do look at the animals of Africa often. Also, when I watch shows like Laws of the Jungle and see the tribal hairstyles that come out of that show, I want to try it and I think it’s really cool.

 

IH: Umm... Youngbae-shi, you have an interesting idea of what is cool. Not that it is bad. Just... interesting (chuckles).

 

YB: (chuckles)

 

IH: Anyway, aside from your hairstyles, I can see that you didn’t really expose much of yourself in this latest MV and your solo stage on Inkigayo last year. You are now wearing more of body-fitted tops with long sleeves and hiphop style kind of clothing. Is there a reason behind it?

 

YB: I want to be more like TOP hyung.

 

IH: (Looks confused) TOP-shi?

 

YB: TOP hyung never shows any skin and yet the fans are still crazy about him. So this time around, I want my fans to listen more to my music and pay less attention to my body.

 

IH: But you are depriving us of your hotness!

 

YB: (Looks surprised and ends up blushing slightly)

 

IH: (Looks directly at camera) Ah mianhae jagiya. (Points to YB) I’m just outrage on behalf of all Youngbae-shi’s fans (chuckles). (Address the confused looking YB directly) My husband is the production director of this show. He is behind the camera.

 

YB: Ah... (chuckles in realization)

 

IH: (Looks directly at the camera while making a heart-shape over her head) Saranghae jagiya. Anyway, you mentioned about the fans paying more attention to your music and not your body?

 

YB: Ne. I read some comments from some anti-fan sites about how I flaunt too much of my bods and constantly taking off my clothes. Some even mentioned that I am such a cheap person to be constantly stripping my clothes off. So I thought to myself, “Ah, maybe I should try to be more like TOP hyung”.

 

IH: (Nods her head in understanding) ne. I’ve read some of those comments in the fan forum sites. I guess you would want your music to be taken seriously. You do have lots of talent that I believe the world has yet to see all of it and appreciate it just as well. But to occasionally strip is okay. The female fans will forgive you for it (wiggles her eyebrows at the camera). Right all my YB bias out there?

 

YB: Ah ne (chuckles and blushes slightly).

 

IH: Mianhae Youngbae-shi. I hope I don’t make you too uncomfortable. Just that I am speaking on behalf of all your bias out there.

 

IH: Anyway speaking of your female fans, this is a question I believe that is on their mind. Are you dating anyone right now? Any plans of settling down?

 

YB: (chuckles) I’m definitely not dating right now. (On a more serious note) Honestly, I am negative about marriage right now. I think it is because I am yet to find the ‘apple’ of my eye. I mean, if I were to find my love that can shake my world, I will dare marry tomorrow.

 

IH: You are talking about soul mates here, aren’t you?

 

YB: Ne, you can call it that. I’m not sure if you know but my first love was like that. She shook my world but at that time, I was a trainee and was working hard to make my debut. So I had to let go of that love of mine. Last time I heard, she is happily married right now.

 

YB: So yeah. I think it is hard for me to date because my first love was so strong.

 

IH: (Nods her head understandingly) Somehow I feel that you will be the poster boy for the tag line “’Forever Alone’ (shakes her head in mock sympathy).

 

YB: (chuckles and blushes at IH’s tease).

 

IH: You need love in your life Youngbae-shi and I don’t mean the special friendship/ relationship that you share with Jiyong-shi.

 

YB: (chuckles at her words) Ne, I need love at this stage of my life.

 

IH: You got an ideal type of woman – appearance wise or even personality wise? I know Jiyong-shi did mention before about his ideal type.

 

YB: My ideal type… hmm… For me, she has to be someone who is on the same page as me. She needs to be understanding of me and the way I live my life, as well as be wise so that I can learn from her. I’d like if she can stimulate me in a way that makes me want to work harder. Appearance wise, well, ever since little I’ve liked women with Western features (nods his head as he finishes describing).

 

IH: Hmm… You sound like you are giving a video message for a dating site (wiggles her eyebrows and chuckles).

 

YB: Ah ne (blushes again and chuckles slightly).

 

IH: But I guess ultimately it is about whether you have that connection with that person. Everything else will take care of itself.

 

IH: Anyway Youngbae-shi, since we are on the topic of relationships, you have been friends with Jiyong-shi since you were 12 years old. It would be right if I were to say that that friendship is the longest ‘relationship’ you ever had with someone that is not within your family right?

 

YB: Ne, you can say that (nods his head in agreement).

 

IH: So how would you describe that special friendship/ relationship of yours with him?

 

YB: Uh… (Takes a moment to collect his thoughts) We rely on each other a lot. It is like we are made for each other. Even though we both have opposite characters, we mix well. We have totally different personalities, so we admire each other, embracing the difference.

 

YB: Also, if it wasn’t for him, I wouldn’t be this person today. He made me want to try harder in what I do. Again, it is because we have qualities that the other doesn’t. Although that can be irritating at times, it helps on most occasions. In a way, I think we are a match made in heaven.

 

IH: (Nods her head thoughtfully) you know what Youngbae-shi? I think you created your ideal girl with Jiyong-shi in mind. Maybe you should just date each other (teasing YB).

 

YB: (Chuckles and blushes before looking serious, as though considering IH’s words) Maybe I might actually have him in mind when I was thinking of my ideal type (chuckles again). I never thought of it that way until you mentioned it just now.

 

IH: See, enlightenment. You learn something from me today. Maybe you should consider dating me, if I am not married that is (teasing YB and chuckling at the same time).

 

YB: (chuckles and blushes again before attempting to flirt with IH) Ah Isobel-shi. I would love to do that if you are not married (chuckles some more).

 

IH: (Looks directly at the camera) Saranghae jagiya. Don’t be angry k.

 

YB: (Chuckles along and also looks directly at the camera) Isobel’s husband-shi, your wife is a nappeun yeoja (bad girl).

 

IH: Aish Youngbae-shi (fake fans herself in a mock blush).

 

IH: Anyway, since we are on the topic of Jiyong-shi, I have to ask you this question. Did you ever blame him for all the controversies and scandals surrounding him? Like did you ever have bad thoughts of blaming him for all the problems that he caused the group and you?

 

YB: (Keeps quiet for awhile, composing the thoughts and words) honestly when those scandals broke out, I really thought I would be angry with him. Instead I was not. In fact, I felt sorry for him. He is a wonderful person and a great friend, unique with his own set of colours. And I guess, given his nature, it is not easy to understand the reason behind his actions sometimes.

 

YB: But I feel sad that he is being treated in a derogatory fashion. A lot of fans turned their back on him and started attacking him on the forum sites. He was broken when the fans started to comment negative comments. It was worse than the comments that we received during our debut days. He refused to speak to me or face any of the members. He felt burdened that he was a bad example of a leader to all of us.

 

IH: (Nods her heads in an understanding fashion) I guess the netizens are not as forgiving as they kind of expect a leader of an idol group to show good example.

 

YB: True but somehow they seemed to forget that Jiyong is also human and has feelings. Furthermore as humans, we are prone to mistakes. The world may not know it but during that period, Jiyong actually contemplated some not so good thoughts. There were a couple of times that I was scared for him and had to somewhat save him from himself. Even Seungri occasionally still do have nightmares over those times.

 

IH: (Thoughtfully rubs her chin) Wow… I couldn’t tell it if you didn’t mention it. Whenever I see him on television – during his interviews and comeback stage – he seems so composed and is doing well.

 

YB: (Smiles at IH words) he definitely doing better now. I think after all the problems that we went through together, both as a group and as best friends, we have become even closer. To me, Jiyong is closer than family. Even if he were to get into worst situation in the future, I would never let go of his hand. That’s how important he is in my life.

 

YB: And I know that Jiyong feels the same about me, that our friendship will go on forever.

 

IH: (Gives YB an assuring smile while nodding her head) Wow… your friendship is definitely pure and beautiful, Youngbae-shi. I am having goose bumps by just listening about it. It is certainly a special kind of relationship, one that cannot be put fully into words.  

 

YB: Ah kamsahamnida Isobel-shi (gives IH his eye smile).

 

IH: You know, your friendship with Jiyong-shi kind of reminds me of mine and my husband’s friendship. He too is my best friend and I too can understand that special kind of bond you mentioned (gives YB her smile of assurance and understanding).

 

IH: Anyway Youngbae-shi, thank you for gracing us with your presence for our first special PIMP’ed OUT stage.

 

YB: Ah aniyo. I should be thanking you Isobel-shi. Kamsahamnida Isobel-shi for wanting my presence here today.

 

IH: Ah you sound just like Jiyong-shi.

 

YB: (Looks confused at IH’s comment) Jiyong?

 

IH: (Tries to cover up her slip) I mean, your humility reminds me of Jiyong’s humility whenever he does live interviews.

 

YB: (Nods his head, accepting IH’s excuse) Ah ne, I learnt from him (chuckles shyly).

 

IH: (Looks directly at the camera, addressing the audience) we will have Youngbae-shi back again with us in a short while. For now, we will be taking a short commercial break before we starts with the 2nd half of our interview for the day (winks at the camera).

 

IH: Are you ready for it Youngbae-shi? This show is not called PIMP’ed OUT for no apparent reasons.

 

YB: I’m ready!

 

IH: (Looks directly at the camera again) we’ll be back again!