Jiyong's Story

PIMP'ed OUT

I’ve gone through so many shallow relationships

 

I thought you’d brush past like that too

 

But as time went by, I realised you were a little different

 

There was no pretense, you showed me your whole heart

 

 

I don’t wanna see you cry

 

When I look at you I remember my forgotten happy dreams, the young me

 

You always give me a smile

 

 

To tomorrow, which will be even more amazing than yesterday

 

 

Live from Pun Intended Media Productions Studio

 

Isobel Haumann (IH): Welcome everyone to our first special stage “PIMP’ed Out” in our very own studio. Finally we have our own studio. You know how long we waited to have our dream studio? Every inch of this space comes with blood and mortgage (dramatically puts one hand on her forehead).

 

IH: Anyway, today we have with us two very special people who are more than gracious to grace us with their presence. And to be honest, I’m a major VIP of them, if you get what I mean (wiggles eyebrows). 

 

IH: Both of them are not aware that they are here together. Both of them are backstage right now, not aware of our little trickery. We intentionally keep their presence secret from each other. Yup. Sneaky sneaky us.

 

IH: Without further ado, let’s roll the video on one of them!

 

Voiceover (VO): Kwon Jiyong, born on August 18, 1988 in Seoul Korea, is better known by his stage name, G Dragon. He is known to the world as the leader of Kpop Idol group called BIGBANG. He is South Korean rapper, singer, songwriter, producer – well the list just keeps going on.

 

VO: He is the man behind BIGBANG’s many hits including “Lies”, “Last Farewell,” “Haru Haru” and recent hits such as “Love Song”, “Tonight”, “Blue” and “Bad Boy”.

 

VO: He made his solo debut in 2009 with the title song “Heartbreak”, sweeping the local and international charts. It ended up winning Album of the Year at MAMA 2009. And in 2010, he and his fellow bandmate, TOP, created their own sub-unit called GD&TOP, releasing 3 singles – “High High”, “Oh Yeah” and Knock Out”.

 

VO: And last year, he released his most successful solo album to date – Coup D’Etat – which won him 4 prestigious at MAMA 2013. Those awards were Best Male Artist, Best Dance Performance (Male), Video of the Year and Artist of the Year.

 

VO: To top it off, he is the only man to be selected by CNN to be one of the “50 reasons Why Seoul is the Best City” in the world.

 

IH: Let’s give a warm PIMP’ed Out welcome to Mister. Kwon Jiyong himself!

 

Kwon Jiyong aka G Dragon (GD): Annyeonghaseyo! Hello everyone. I’m Kwon Jiyong but you can call me GD (chuckles).

 

IH: Ah Jiyong-shi. Please please make yourself comfortable. Don’t be scared. I won’t bite you.

 

GD: Ah Isobel-shi. You are like Seungri.

 

IH: Yup he is definitely the inspiration behind that line. Anyway Jiyong-shi or you would prefer me calling you GD instead?

 

GD: Jiyong’s fine. It has been awhile since anyone addresses me as Jiyong. Most of the time people call me G Dragon or GD. So Jiyong is fine.

 

IH: Good coz I personally prefer calling you Jiyong. After all, that’s your given name. Anyway Jiyong-shi, how you find our new studio stage? Have you been to one about this size? I mean, you would have been to other large stage and might find this stage a tad too small for you.

 

GD: Ah Isobel-shi. Why are you like this? (chuckles) I’m a small size man so this stage is considered large to me (more chuckles). I love the cosy feeling this stage gives me. After being on large stage especially during BIGBANG’s Dome Tour, it is nice to be in such a cosy environment for once. It always me to be closer to my fans and of course to you (wink).

 

IH: Omo omo. You are such a smooth talker, Jiyong-shi. Be careful as my husband is behind the camera. He might purposely put you out of focus or distort your features.

 

GD: Omo. Ah... Mianhae Isobel-shi’s husband (chuckles). Please don’t pull my face out of focus (cutely pleads to the camera).

 

IH: Anyway congratulations on your big win last year at the MAMA. I was watching the whole show at home and was cheering loudly with the other fans when you swept 4 big awards.

 

GD: Kamsahamnida Isobel-shi. I didn’t expect to win much less win 4 separate awards. There were other good acts and songs last year. I felt blessed and honoured that the fans love my music and what I put out last year. I never create music with the intention to win awards. It was all for my fans.

 

IH: Ah... Our Kwon Leader is such a humble person. But I have to admit, I really love your Coup D’Etat album a lot. The songs are unique and show different colours. You showed your various colours through each of the songs.

 

GD: Yes that’s my intention with that album. It was to show my fans the different colours that I have. When I create songs for myself, I tend to differentiate myself from my BIGBANG self. When I create songs for BIGBANG, I am more concerned on how the public would react and their opinions of the group. But when I am on my own, it is more about revealing the funky, punky side of me.

 

IH: You definitely did show your colours in that album. Jiyong-shi, since we are speaking about your music, I’m curious to know what and who were you inspired by when you write? Do you have musical notes floating in your mind, waiting to be put together? Or perhaps maybe when you are sleeping and suddenly you have a crazy beat playing in your mind that you absolutely had to write down?

 

GD: (chuckles) I don’t think I have musical notes floating in my head. Youngbae would definitely admit me to the mental hospital if that ever occurs (more chuckles). He worries a lot about my well-being.

 

GD: Anyway, to answer your question, well, my inspiration comes from everywhere. It comes from the places I travel to, while speaking to someone, while walking down the road. I can even be inspired by the weather. I guess you can say that I am pretty sensitive to my surroundings. I don’t miss these things and I always right them down. I take these memos back out whenever I need inspiration during my writing binge.

 

GD: In case you haven’t notice, my “Crooked” MV was inspired by sculptures and I tried to show that inspiration on the set. Also, I watched a lot of youth-related films. Hence, London became the ideal background.

 

IH: Ah… yes… I certainly enjoyed watching your “Crooked” MV. It was definitely different from BIGBANG’s MV and your previous works. I also love the colouring that was done on it as well. Sorry, can’t help me. The director in me just adores the whole feel of that MV.

 

GD: Ah… Kamsahamnida Isobel-shi. Hmmm… Since you are a director yourself, would you want to direct one of BIGBANG’s MV once we get our single out?

 

IH: Omo! Are you seeking my service out? (chuckles) How about your people call my people and we set a meeting after this recording?

 

GD: Did you just reject me, Isobel-shi? (cutely pouts)

 

IH: Ani Jiyong-shi. I’m not rejecting you. Just playing hard to get (chuckles). My sources say you like it when girls do that.

 

GD: Ah Isobel-shi… (hides face behind his hands)

 

IH: True right… (chuckles) I saw your other interviews on how you tend to behave differently to ladies whom you showed interest in.  

 

GD: (Nods his head while putting his hands down) you totally all-killed me Isobel-shi.

 

IH: I know. I come armed with enough materials on you (wiggles her eyesbrows). Furthermore, I think everyone here knows how much I am a fan of BIGBANG – since 2006. So yeah. No fooling around with your oldest VIP here. I know your tricks Jiyong-shi.

 

GD: Isobel-shi, (raps out) R.E.S.P.E.C.T. Respect!

 

IH: Ah thank you thank you (fake beauty pagent waves to the audience).

 

GD: (chuckles while clapping at IH)

 

IH: Anyway Jiyong-shi, let’s move on to my next question about you – your fashion sense. You are known as the fashionista within the Korean music industry. You are even given the Daesang by Style Icon Award 2013 as the ‘Style Icon of the Year’. What’s your own fashion philosophy?

 

GD: (very shyly) Ah… Like my music, I didn’t expect to be given such a prestigious award. Furthermore, I don’t exactly have a fashion philosophy. But because I like fashion, I am sensitive to it. What you wear affects how you feel that day so it is very important to wear the right clothes. Therefore I put in effort on my clothes and people like it.

 

IH: So basically you are saying that clothes help you feel good about yourself and create the mood that you want? It projects what you feel on the inside to the world outside?

 

GD: Yeah, something like that.

 

IH: Ah… But what if you feel inside? Would you go out as well? I mean, given that line of thought… (trails off suggestively)

 

GD: Ah Isobel-shi… (chuckles behind his hand) I think if I were to go out , I will be causing a disturbance to the moral values of the public (chuckles again).

 

IH: Ani… You be making a lot of VIPs happy actually (chuckles along). But I think the fans would rather see Seunghyun-shi than you. I personally would want to see him topless at least once before I die.

 

GD: True true (nods his head in agreement). I would want to see that as well. He always hides his body that the members speculate that he has some hidden tattoos somewhere.

 

IH: Yup. The last time I see his body was during BIGBANG’s La La La MV and live performance back in 2006-2007 (chuckles while looking directly at the camera). Ah mianhae jagiya. You know I love you still right (wink wink at the camera).

 

GD: (chuckles) during that time, he was actually reluctant to do that move. I had to use my card of me being the leader to make him follow the choreography. It was not easy to convince him but I managed to.

 

IH: Maybe it is about time you use that card again. I believe the VIPs watching this right now would be hoping and wishing for it.

 

GD: (thoughtfully rubs his chin) Yeah maybe I should.

 

IH: Anyway Jiyong-shi, you are dubbed the “human clothes hanger” because of your good body shape. Do you pay attention to keeping fit too?

 

GD: In the past, I did not actually pay attention to keeping my body fit. But now that I am growing older, if I don’t, then I will get more and more chubby (chuckles).

 

IH: Eh…!!! That’s impossible. You are already super skinny now. I can practically see your famed y collar bone sticking out.

 

GD: (more chuckles). Actually I put on some weight recently. Ever since the Dome Tour ends and BIGBANG is taking a short break, I’ve been eating a lot. I think it is because I am living with my family, so I have been eating so well. My omma always worries whenever she sees me looking too skinny or haggard. Hence she tends to cook good food for me whenever I come home. (looking directly at the camera while making a heart-shape with his arms over his head) Omma, Saranghae.

 

GD: So it is probably about time for me to watch my intake. But ultimately, I just want to be healthy for my sake and for my fans. I need to be able to perform in my best form for them.

 

IH: Ne. I believe that would be the best. Be healthy and stay health. All your fans are worried about you whenever they see that you are too skinny. Even I worry as you look like you can fly when a strong wind blows.

 

IH: Jiyong-shi, speaking of family, you are turning 27 (Korean age) this year. Are you having any plans of settling down soon? Dating anyone right now?

 

GD: (dramatically sighs) No, I’m not dating anyone right now. I do wish to settle down soon but I guess I need to find a girl first. (Looks directly at the camera and sings) Girl, I need a girl… Mwol haedo ippeun, mommaedo ippeun… Girl, I need a girl… Aish… (Buries his head in his hands in embarrassment).

 

IH: (chuckles at his behavior)

 

GD: But yeah. I am always jealous whenever I see my friends all settling down and having their own family and children. But I guess for me, it is not easy given the nature of my work. (in a slightly more serious and compose tone) I mean, if I were to date a non-celebrity, I worry that the fans will make life difficult for her. And if I were to date a celebrity, if we were to break up, things would get rather awkward between us. So I always worry on my girlfriend's behalf.

 

IH: (Nods thoughtfully at his words) I understand. There are some fans that can be quite possessive of their idols that it is hard for them to have a personal life. I guess what you need is a girl who can actually withstand that and still be confident in herself.

 

GD: (Nods his head in agreement)

 

IH: Speaking of that quality, do you still have an ideal type of woman that you want? I mean, you did mention before that you even envision how the girl would be like.

 

GD: Well… In the past, I did mention that I want a girl with short hair and a tomboyish style. But now, I think I prefer a girl whom from the moment we first meet, I can communicate with her without any reservations. Also I love it if she is someone who devotes herself to her work. It would be great also if she has a good sense of humour. That way, she can make me laugh whenever I feel stressed out or worked too much. She can balance me out.

 

IH: Ah… So have you seen any girls with those qualities recently?

 

GD: Honestly, you, Isobel-shi.

 

IH: Me (points to herself)?

 

GD: Yeah you. I feel comfortable talking to you. Usually I would be awkward when I have to do solo interviews; especially when I have to talk about myself. I am actually enjoying myself right now. It’s been awhile since I’ve been this relax. You are quite funny. Plus you give off a tomboyish vibe that I find appealing. Furthermore, I can see that you are rather devoted to your work as a filmmaker and a director. I’ve seen some of your BTS videos on YouTube and on cable. So yeah, you.

 

IH: Are you trying to get me some anti-fans?

 

GD: Aniyo. Jingja! You have the qualities I mentioned and more.

 

IH: Yup… You are definitely making me have more anti-fans (chuckles). But sorry Jiyong-shi, this ship has sailed (more chuckles).

 

GD: (dramatically sighs) I know. I should have met you earlier. Now I missed my chance (chuckles before looking at the camera). Isobel’s husband-shi, you are lucky (fake whisper to the camera).

 

IH: You are such a smooth talker, Jiyong-shi. But I won’t mind dating you in my next life. (Looks directly at camera while making a heart-shape with her arms over her head) Saranghae jagiya. Don’t be angry (wink wink).

 

GD: (Imitates IH’s actions while looking at the camera) Saranghae Isobel’s husband-shi (chuckles).

 

IH: (Chuckles) Ah Jiyong-shi, speaking of relationships, I truly admire your special friendship – or should I say relationship – with Youngbae. The two of you share a special bond that not many artistes have. How has it been being friends with Youngbae after all these years?

 

GD: (thinks through his words before he says them) Ah… my friendship/ relationship with Youngbae has always been something that I am grateful for. I did mention this once that when I first met Youngbae, he wasn’t someone I could just pass by. I thought to myself, “Uh! Who is this person?” We quickly grew close to each other and since we both have opposite personalities so we have never fought with each other. There was only one incident I could recall where we almost did fight and that was over a basketball game – yeah only that one time.

 

GD: Furthermore, when I was younger, I was the shy one. Youngbae was the only one I was comfortable with and could talk a lot to. But after puberty, I gained more confidence. Youngbae was really energetic back then but now he is more serious and quiet. It is as though our personality switched as we mature (chuckles).

 

GD: Back during the times when we were still trainees, cleaning was much more fun with a friend. Youngbae would be the one coming up with all sorts of games to make cleaning fun as cleaning can be very tired – especially when it is only 2 person cleaning a couple of the dance studios. Also, he has always been supportive towards me throughout my ups and downs (softly trails off with a hint of sadness).

 

GD: He could have just question me and scold me for causing problems to BIGBANG and his career as an artiste. I mean, I am the leader of BIGBANG and my scandals do have negative repercussions to the rest of the members. It did threaten the status of BIGBANG and there were speculations that BIGBANG would disband. Youngbae, instead of blaming and reprimanding me or even walking out on me, he stayed by my side. He kept me sane, kept reminding me that I am a good person and these scandals to happen to just anyone in the industry. To me, Youngbae is my precious other half. Without him, I am not complete.

 

IH: (Thoughtfully nods her head) I remember that period – your plagiarism case back in 2009, the controversy with regards to your “Shine a Light” concert and that scandal in 2011. Some articles actually dubbed you as “South Korea’s Kanye West”. Some VIPs turned their back towards you. Some fan sites turned into anti-fan sites.

 

GD: (Smiles sadly as he recalls those memories)

 

IH: But you know what Jiyong-shi? I am proud to tell you that I was not one of those fans. I believe you as fellow mates in the entertainment industry that you have your integrity as a songwriter producer to not plagiarize music from fellow songwriters and producers. And I trust you as a person that you are brought up with the best values imparted by your parents to not do anything that could disappoint them.

 

IH: Based on your earlier interviews back then and the interaction you have with your parents, I know you would never want to do such a thing. It is just how the world interprets your actions and behaviors – their interpretations.

 

GD: Kamsahamnida Isobel-shi. I’m grateful to know that I have your support and trust. Back then, when I was faced with those accusations, I cried a lot. It was a time where I was able to gather thoughts by myself and have time to self-reflect. I started to lower myself from that high pedestal that others put me on – that I unknowingly put myself on.

 

GD: I guess back then I was younger and had such incredible success that I felt pressured to keep up that success. I became greedy. I let myself get carried away by that success.

 

GD: But at the same time, with that incredible success, it never felt real. I didn’t know how it is to be thankful or grateful. I just thought that I was the best (trails off again and he lets out a heavy sigh as though the weight of the world is on his shoulder).

 

IH: You know what Jiyong-shi? I feel you, I really do. When we are in our youthful stage, we want to be acknowledged for our work and effort. And when others acknowledge it, we want more and more (nods in understanding). Even I as a filmmaker/ director, I was impatient for others to recognize my work. And I find it hard to accept it when others criticized my work or commented that my work is an imitation of someone else’s work.

 

GD: Yes, it is hard. I became aware that I relied too much on how others viewed my work that I was writing songs to satisfy them. I was not writing the kind of music I wanted to write. And before I knew it, I was jaded by the fame and admiration I was receiving. I was empty and felt like I’d lost my initial dream.

 

GD: In a way, I would say that I am grateful that all these scandals happened to me. If not, I won’t be able to learn and grow as a person.  I learnt to handle criticisms better. I am cleverer in making music now. I guess all those tribulations I’ve gone through help me to reduce the chances of me making unforgiveable errors. They also made me more aware of my role as the leader of BIGBANG and I have their lives on my shoulder as well.

 

IH: (Nods her head in understanding) I guess life has its way of making us grow and become better people.

 

IH: Anyway Jiyong-shi, thank you for gracing us with your presence for our first special PIMP’ed OUT stage.

 

GD: Ani. I should thank you for giving me the chance to be the first person to be interviewed by the famed Director Isobel Haumann. After all, you are known to refuse doing any form of public interview or appear on television (winks at IH).

 

IH: (Chuckles at Jiyong’s attempt to flirt with her)

 

GD: Furthermore, you and me are not that for apart in terms of age – only 2 years apart.

 

IH: True. I am only 2 years your senior but you are technically my sunbae in this industry.

 

GD: If only you are not married. We could totally date (chuckles).

 

IH: Ah Jiyong-shi, official you are not my type. Unofficially, I won’t mind going out on 1 date with you (chuckles). (Looks directly at the camera while making a heart-shape over her head) jagiya, saranghae.

 

GD: (Imitates IH’s actions while looking at the camera) Saranghae Isobel’s husband-shi (chuckles).

 

IH: Anyway Jiyong-shi, thanks again for taking a time out of your busy schedule to come here.

 

GD: My pleasure.

 

IH: (Looks directly at the camera, addressing the audience) we will have Jiyong-shi back again with us in a short while. For now, we be taking a short commercial break. We will be back with the 2nd interviewee of the day (winks at the camera).